View Full Version : Isopropyl Nitrite synth gone WTF

Omniknight
August 25th, 2007, 04:01 PM
So, usually i produce isopropyl nitrite using :

Sol A - 250gr sodium nitrite dissolved in 450ml water
Sol B - 70ml 66% h2so4 in 450ml water

And 300ml isopropanol. Sol A + ispropanol then i add sol 2 to get the iso.nitrite.

This day instead of isopropanol i used isobutanol. Instead of producing the desired yellow layer, the whole shit turned green, then a dark green layer pumping red smoke started to form in place of the expected one.

I know the error is having used isobutanol, i'm just wondering if one of you guys could light my candle about what was that scary smoke ?

Was pretty irritant too.

Enkidu
August 25th, 2007, 05:58 PM
nbk's not banned you yet? You must be favored by the gods... or his ban button is broken.

The 'red smoke' you saw was a cloud of NOx, the product of a runaway reaction. You didn't keep the reaction temperature cool enough. (You need to keep it around 0-5*C.) It's possible to die from the inhalation of NOx; a condition called pulmonary edema that manifests itself about 24 hours after exposure is the common killer. By the time you notice the symptoms, it's usually too late to reverse the condition.

Whether you're trying to make 'poppers' or some amphetamine analog, this board isn't the right place to ask about it.

megalomania
August 26th, 2007, 01:44 AM
I hope you had some logical motive in mind when substituting a different reagent into a synthesis OTHER than "if the chemicals sound the same they might react the same?"

Why has he not been banned? Well we have living (for the time being) proof of how ignorance and stupidity can lead to tragedy during chemical experimentation. The misinformed experimenter haphazardly chucks some random reagent into his stew pot and it produces a toxic gas. I wonder if he is surprised many of us know fully well what chemicals are drug precursors...

nbk2000
August 26th, 2007, 04:54 AM
I may not need to ban him.

If he breathed enough of the 'scary red smoke', he'll be banned from life within 48 hours. ;) :D

Omniknight
August 27th, 2007, 01:42 AM
Well we have living (for the time being) proof of how ignorance and stupidity can lead to tragedy during chemical experimentation.

Let me remind you that without people who had enough balls or were curious about things you wouldn't have any of the chemical knowledge you have now.

So my suggestion to you is start behaving like any reasonable person and educate those who are still newbies.

Oh, btw, take your ego and pound it with salt while you're at it.

Enkidu
August 27th, 2007, 02:02 AM
Let me remind you that without people who had enough balls or were curious about things you wouldn't have any of the chemical knowledge you have now.

Hmmm... well, nobody wants to be the first one to figure out that rattlesnakes are poisonous. I wonder who the poor guy was that did that research or if science ever properly thanked him? :rolleyes:

The simple reaction you're doing now has been done by thousands of people before you. You don't have to be curious, because the literature (or even a texbook) contains all the answers and is there for the taking, if you'd only do a little research.

BTW, we aren't compelled to educate anyone. My first post WAS spoonfeeding. You forgot to thank me.

Vitalis
August 27th, 2007, 02:04 AM
I think they practice "tough love" around here, hence the insults.

Anyway, you already said yourself you knew the reason for the "synth gone WTF" was using isobutanol instead of the isopropanol you knew you should have used, and Enkidu told you the smoke was NOx, what more education do you need, be sure to use isopropanol next time.

nbk2000
August 27th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Balls and Brains are often mutually exclusive terms.

Why is it that people who don't use their brains, usually accuse those who do of having no balls?

Also, why are you making IPN? I doubt you intend to use it as thermobaric fuel.

Omniknight
August 27th, 2007, 06:41 AM

Because it's legal (at least here), cheap to make and has a resell value of ~1500% ;):p

Might use it one day if i'm making cyanide, but i don't have enough furnitures right now :(

BTW, we aren't compelled to educate anyone. My first post WAS spoonfeeding. You forgot to thank me.

Actually, lots of books/videos/whatever media state the reaction with butanol is as valid as the propanol one, so i just tried and went "uuuuuh, wtf?!" when it got out of control :/

Thx for the answer anyway ^^

Enkidu
August 27th, 2007, 07:05 AM

He's making isobutyl nitrITE rather than isobutyl nitrATE. Poppers.

Actually, lots of books/videos/whatever media state the reaction with butanol is as valid as the propanol one, so i just tried and went "uuuuuh, wtf?!" when it got out of control :/

The reaction with isobutanol is just as valid; you fucked up when you (obviously) didn't keep the reaction cold enough.

nbk2000
August 27th, 2007, 10:23 AM
I knew what he making it for, this isn't something new.

You used to be able to buy nitrite's for use as 'Air Freshener', with names like RUSH, and such.

First amyl, then butyl, then they banned it altogether using the Analogs Act.

Omniknight
August 28th, 2007, 01:21 AM
The reaction with isobutanol is just as valid; you fucked up when you (obviously) didn't keep the reaction cold enough.

Still doesn't explain why this whole shit turned dark green when it's supposed to go bright yellow/slightly orange.

Not cold enough ? The flask was under crushed ice, if that's not cold enough i can't figure it out...

And before you say it, both solutions and the alcohol were in the freezer for about 1 hour before starting ^__^

:confused:

Vitalis
August 28th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Is the hive still around? I don't think so, too bad really, they would have LOVED to answer your precursor chemical or inhalant "synth" questions...

Gammaray1981
August 28th, 2007, 06:00 AM
If you still have no idea, UTFSE for "nitration". Most of the topics you get will (quite rightly here) be explosives related, but you'll be told what went wrong. Runaway nitrations (nitritions?) have been previously covered in significant detail. The dark green colour accompanying it doesn't appear to be uncommon.

chemdude1999
August 28th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Oh, btw, take your ego and pound it with salt while you're at it.

You hint at your possible illegal activity and then insult the one man that might have your IP address. Use your head, dude.

Mega doesn't need your insults. He is providing a board for us (including you, for the time being) to exchange ideas and information. Show some appreciation.

And stop making drugs.

Omniknight
August 28th, 2007, 10:05 AM
And stop making drugs.

1/ It is legal where I am located.

2/ It's not illegal to sell it, even in the united states, as long as you sell it as a video head cleaner or cyanide countermeasure.

nbk2000
August 28th, 2007, 10:08 AM
People who use inhalants tend to have gratefully short lifespans.

The guy making the inhalants seems to be on a collision course with the grave.

+++++++++

I got a PM from the disphit complaining about my warning him about i/I. Oops...seems he tripped over The Beast's tail and fell headlong into the pit. :)

Guerilla
August 28th, 2007, 10:19 AM
The green color comes from N2O3 of which formation from NOx is favored by lower temps. So you obviously had cool enough solutions but it's of no use if you just dump the IBA/NaNO2 mix into the acid all at once and/or lack decent agitation.

You should have at least said you were going to use this as a diazotization agent, when it comes to poppers they are the TOE poppers we're most interested in here.. ;)

festergrump
August 28th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Aren't poppers kind of a faggot's drug, anyway? So, if you use it, you're probably a fag; if you sell it to fags you are a faggot sympathizer; and if you get busted for selling it, you get to live with the fags and queens who'll likely turn you out while in the pokey...

Hmm...

Methinks you need to concentrate on a good dose of pussy instead of poppers, at least before all those fags "rub one off" on ya for being such a good sport to them. :eek:

Vitalis
August 28th, 2007, 05:01 PM
I think the Beast has devoured and shit this poor soul out by now, so he can't reply...

Cindor
August 29th, 2007, 01:59 AM
festergrump Poppers are used by gays because they have tha property of relaxing the spchincter.

megalomania
September 6th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Thank you Cindor, I have unwillingly assimilated this fact. I am now compelled to repeat it to strangers who will question my sexuality. Now then, how do YOU know such a fact, eh? :D

Cindor
September 23rd, 2007, 05:48 AM
Hahahaha that was very funny. A friend told me that, and I just serch it in wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poppers#Effects
Inhaling nitrites relaxes smooth muscles throughout the body, including the sphincter muscles of the anus and the vagina.[5] This causes the blood vessels to dilate (which causes a sudden drop in blood pressure), increases heart rate, and produces a sensation of heat and excitement that usually lasts for a couple of minutes.[8]

Thermiteisfun
September 23rd, 2007, 11:23 AM
You know if you're not banned by now, you have provided me with the best laugh ever...Red smoke? Irritating you say?

If he breathed enough of the 'scary red smoke', he'll be banned from life within 48 hours. :D

Secong Nature
November 11th, 2007, 04:18 AM
On the topic of muscle relaxants I have heard that N2O is just as useful when it comes to precursors to homoerotic adventures.

Also if the resale value he stated is true here as well then I may make this and sell it to 'connoisseurs of illicit substances'

A search of the internet later found that there are few websites stating the relaxing properties of nitrous oxide, though I did find an online document supporting this called:
'EPINEPHRINE-INDUCED DYSRHYTHMIAS:
COMPARISON DURING ANAESTHESIA WITH NARCOTICS AND WITH HALOGENATED
INHALATION AGENTS IN DOGS'

it states:

IT IS GENERALLY BELIEVED that the use of a
narcotic-nitrous oxide-muscle relaxant technique,
popularly known as "balanced anaesthesia". . .

Hope it helps anyone hoping to widen (among other things) their sexual horizons.