View Full Version : Maximite- what is it? Safest High Explosive? - Archive Thread

Anthony
March 5th, 2003, 06:14 PM
Teck
Frequent Poster
posted February 19, 2001 02:32 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was reading Popular Science and came a cross an article on Hudson Maxim wich I thought was interesting.

Quote from article "Throwing a High Explosive from Powder Guns"
"Author Hudson Maxim critiqued the effectiveness of explosives that could be fired by large guns across distances in projectiles. His discusion culminated in his own compound, maximite, a powerfull high explosive so stable that it would not be detonated even as it penetrated heavy armor, but was then exploded by a delayed-action fuse he also designed. Also a high explosive bursting powder 50 percent more powerful than dynamite
Sounds a really safe High Explosive to me.
I made a search on the net on this compound but found nothing.
Does anyone know the composition and mabey Maximite is a synonom for some other explosive?

Also an interesting fact on this family is Hudson produced the first smokeless powder in the U.S., which was adopted by the U.S. Army and improved alot of explosives. Hudsons brother invented the Maxim machine gun used in WWII and Hudsons brothers son invented the Maxim firearm silencer.
Thats pretty cool the whole family into weapons and shit.

Alright any info on maximite?

[This message has been edited by Teck (edited February 19, 2001).]

Anthony
posted February 19, 2001 10:31 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could be TNT, Explosive D, maybe even an AN based explosive. Either way, you wouldn't want ot make it, it'd be damn near impossible to detonate!

HMTD Factory
Frequent Poster
posted February 19, 2001 12:54 PM
Developement of explosive is taking place every second in labs around the world.
Some new explosives are engineered from old
explosives by tricking out the molecules.
Some are so stable that it require laser beam
to initiate.

I don't know about the Maximite. But sounds like the's another magazine to read.