View Full Version : Why KNO3 sucks for nitrations

Rbick
September 15th, 2007, 10:06 PM
I think I have finally figured out the age old question as to why KNO3 creates a thick syrup that’s impossible to manage when used in a nitration reaction. No its not because you let the temperature get to high or because you added too much Potassium Nitrate... It really seems quite simple, I just never really looked in to it. I will also being going over a few things about nitrations that I have always wondered about. The reaction between H2SO4 and KNO3 goes as follows:

H2SO4 + 2KNO3 ---> K2SO4 + 2HNO3

The resulting compounds are obviously Potassium Sulfate and Nitric Acid. The Sulfate is not of use, and it is the Nitric acid that we are after. Now lets look at a nitration mixture with Ammonium Nitrate and Sulfuric Acid, which is known for not becoming a thick slurry during the nitration process:

H2SO4 + 2NH4NO3 ---> 2(NH4)2SO4 + 2HNO3

These products are Ammonium Sulfate and Nitric acid. Ok… Well what is the big deal? I believe that part of the answer is in the properties of the two byproducts: Ammonium and Potassium Sulfate.

Potassium Sulfate is described as being a very hard substance. Along with that, it also only dissolves at about 11g per 100 mL of water. If there isn’t enough water for the Potassium Sulfate to dissolve into, then it will obviously come out of solution as a solid. 11g per 100 mL is very low considering if we look at Ammonium Sulfate, which dissolves at 70g per 100mL of water. The one thing I am unsure of is how much each dissolves in Sulfuric Acid or whether they do at all. I don’t think this would change my conclusion in this matter.

Well where does the water come from? Hopefully I will be able to answer that using ETN as an example. In the process of nitration, a byproduct is often water. This can be seen here in the following example. I will use pure HNO3 in the equation for clarity. Also, Erythritol has the formula of C4H10O4 and is a natural sweetener. Four nitro groups replace four of the H atoms and bond to the Oxygen, creating C4H6N4O12. This is known as an O-nitration.

4HNO3 + C4H10O4 ---> C4H6N4O12 + 4H2O

The water seen in this reaction would actually be absorbed partially, if not fully, by the Sulfuric acid. In a nitrating mixture involving no nitrate salt, this is a reason for the Sulfuric Acid (I’ll get into this later). However, one thing I have noticed is that the directions for nitration reactions using a nitrating salt either don’t have enough Sulfuric Acid, or they use too much. Usually the latter. Of course it cannot be assumed that you can get everything perfect, but I sure as hell like to try. Anyway, the water from the resulting nitration is what I assume is part of what dissolves the byproducts in the reactions. With Potassium Sulfate not dissolving nearly as well as Ammonium Sulfate, and being classified as “brittle and hard”, it comes out of solution and makes a hard, thick solid mess. I also took a look at some pure Ammonium Sulfate in my chemistry class, and it seems to be a soft, fine white powder. I assume this is why KNO3 is not suitable for nitrations. In conclusion, I would much rather use Ammonium Nitrate in my nitrating mixes, as I prefer swirling as opposed to breaking stirring rods. But if I had no other options, Potassium Nitrate still gets the job done. You just have a little extra work to do.

Now as for the role of Sulfuric Acid: As mentioned earlier, the Sulfuric is used to absorb water from the resulting nitration and act as a catalyst, driving the reaction. Unless of course if you are using a nitration salt, in which case the Sulfuric is also used to make HNO3 through the reaction with the nitrating salt. Sulfuric Acid is not always needed in some reactions. For instance, RDX and PETN can use 95% or higher HNO3 alone. What happens when the Sulfuric Acid mixes with the water is as follows:

H2SO4 + H2O --> H3O+ + SO4 -

This creates a positively charged Hydronium ion and a negatively charged Sulfate ion. The two bond to form Sulfuric Acid Hydrate, or H2SO4*H2O. This is how Sulfuric Acid absorbs the water. If you can, visualize the Water and Sulfuric Acid “sharing” a Hydrogen atom. Sulfuric acid hydrate can be turned into steam from the exothermic reaction with water, which is corrosive and dangerous. Remember, add acid to water, not water to acid :D.

I think that excess Sulfuric Acid could be partially responsible for bad yields with nitration salt mixtures. In this case, the unused Sulfuric might react with un-nitrated Erythritol (like it does with other organic substances), pulling out the Hydrogen and Oxygen to make water, and leaving a carbon byproduct.

H2SO4 + C4H10O4 ---> 4C + 4H2O + H2

Other mols of Sulfuric would react with the 4 mols of water to form Sulfuric Acid Hydrate.This is why when Sulfuric comes into contact with anything organic, it leaves a black residue, or in the case of skin, causes a burn. This makes Sulfuric Acid useful to make compounds anhydrous. I think this is what happened once while I was making ETN. I left the nitrating mix to go get a drink with my buddy and came back a few hours later. I didn’t think I’d be gone that long… But the mixture turned into a clear liquid with some black stuff floating at the bottom. This is just an assumption, but it makes sense.

So hopefully this is why Potassium Nitrate serves as such a bad nitration salt in nitration reactions. If this is completely wrong or you have more to add, by all means, correct me. I would also like to hear any other nitrating salts others have found to work well in this type of nitration.

Charles Owlen Picket
September 15th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I think you are on to something....your conclusion to the basic premise makes sense (to me).
However I would also add that there is the variable of impurities and particulate consistency. And this is an issue that occurs when working from home & not a good lab (such is life when one is not in school :-).
I have had success with KNO3 but the material could not be impure nor in a solid crystalline form. I have had difficulty with NaNO3 but when reducing the size of the particulate it was workable (when adjusting for weight, etc). Yet, when using NH4NO3 I have had variances that were traced to both of the above idiosyncrasies of the starting chemical.

In fact your idea was interesting me so much I re-read it a few times (good stuff). I think something is missing from the concept of the direct combination of KNO3 & H2SO4 in a nitration....Now I could be dead wrong but would that not be potassium bisulfate? Potassium bisulphate is KHSO4 and I had thought it was also known as "pyrosulfate" - extracted from nitrations and used for making 'blue" in some pyro-related comps. HOWEVER I could be off on this as I also remember some concept of adding potassium sulfate to H2SO4 to obtain olium.....

Rbick
September 16th, 2007, 12:36 AM
I wondered the same thing about potassium bisulfate being produced. Although after researching, all the info I found pointed to Potassium Sulfate being created when Potassium Nitrate was mixed with Sulfuric Acid. I passed it by my Chemistry professor and they said that this would most likley be the case. Potassium Hydroxide is mixed with Sulfuric Acid in the production of the Potassium bisulfate.

To test the idea, I may later mix some Sulfuric Acid with Potassium Nitrate and check solubility and melting point to see if I can identify the product. Potassium Sulfate has a much higher melting point (1069 *C) than the bisulfate (214 *C).

Enkidu
September 16th, 2007, 02:02 AM
Thanks for the expose.

H2SO4 + 2KNO3 ---> K2SO4 + 2HNO3

The resulting compounds are obviously Potassium Sulfate and Nitric Acid.

Doesn't sulfuric acid + potassium nitrate ---> nitric acid and potassium hydrogen sulfate (KHSO4)?

There are varying opinions on this, but I believe the above equation.

H2SO4 + 2NH4NO3 ---> 2(NH4)2SO4 + 2HNO3

These products are Ammonium Sulfate and Nitric acid.

Same idea as before; a hydrogen sulfate forms.

Also, I've heard it's possible to dehydrate(?) ammonium nitrate with sulfuric acid. I think there's a thread at SM about this, or maybe it's at the APC. I can't remember. (If you remember, please post it.) Anyway, you end up with a partially useless nitrating mixture.

H2SO4 + H2O --> H3O+ + SO4 -

Your equation's not balanced; you need another H on the products side.

Edit: I somehow missed that Charles and Rbick already discussed what I posted...

Charles Owlen Picket
September 16th, 2007, 10:20 AM
To test the idea, I may later mix some Sulfuric Acid with Potassium Nitrate and check solubility and melting point to see if I can identify the product.
Sounds right on the money to me!

I really miss having a "mentor" of sorts to go to as at university (a professor). I hope that others with interest or greater knowledge chime in here; this subject has "wings" if applied to most every nitration.
@Enkidu - I thought it was potassium hydrogen sulfate also after a bit..... I don't have the background to say conclusively.

Rbick
September 16th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Sorry about the Sulfuric Acid and water, it just isn't completed. Call me lazy if you will... :o I think the correct one is:

H2SO4+ H2O → H3O+ + HSO4-,

and

HSO4- + H2O → H3O+ + SO4-

So the hydrogen sulfate reacts with the water to form the Sulfuric Acid Hydrate.

But after researching, Ammonium and Potassium Sulfate are produced through reacting Ammonium and Potassium Nitrate with Sulfuric Acid 2:1 moles. I wasn't able to find any temperature specifics though. Again, the one way to make sure is by doing some tests and see what I come up with.

Charles Owlen Picket
September 16th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Another thing occurred to me; we are speaking of nitric esters here when discussing ETN and related nitrations. Nitrations of polyols are usually straight forward. Nitro benzenes like Picric Acid may yield differing side reactions when utilizing the solid nitrates.....I was thinking of the different nitration formats where a solid nitrate may be used....

Rbick
September 25th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Well you guys were right. The byproduct is in fact the bisulfate and not the sulfate. So it would be

H2SO4 + KNO3 ---> HNO3 + KHSO4

Products being nitric acid and potassium bisulfate. Non-the-less, my statement still stands. The Ammonium Bisulfate is very hygroscopic and readily absorbs water, whereas Potassium Bisulfate does dissolve in water but not nearly as well.

Charles: I think I know what you're talking about. In nitrations for picric acid and whatnot, the Sulfuric Acid is used to absorb water and act as a catalyst in the reaction, reforming itself at some point and reacting again. With polyols it is just used for dehydration, I think...Anyone know about this? There is a chapter in one of my books at home about this specifically. I'll have to check it out.

Charles Owlen Picket
September 25th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Well, regardless of the incidentals I think the basic tenets are worth discussing and I think you're on to something here & this is a fun subject.

However to address the issue of the influence of H2SO4 on a polyol nitration to the best of my limited knowledge if we are defining the nitration's interaction we do not see a simple NG synth using temp controlled HNO3....we see the product using "mixed acids".

Simply to dehydrate? If this were so why not just use 90% or better HNO3? {Or simply MORE HNO3?} Can this be achieved? I think it can but the dehydration alone may not be to total answer for the use of sulfuric acid. My memory is not too good but I remember something about bonding.....and I'm going to look this up in a chem text book from ancient times.....(I never sold back my books :-)

Enkidu
September 25th, 2007, 11:18 PM
HNO3, when used by itself and especially at lower concentrations, is prone to oxidizing the alcohol rather than 'nitrating' it. You add sulfuric acid to increase the concentration of the nitronium ion.

HNO3 + H2SO4 <---> NO2+ + HSO4- + H2O

Also, I've heard it's possible to dehydrate(?) ammonium nitrate with sulfuric acid. I think there's a thread at SM about this, or maybe it's at the APC. I can't remember. (If you remember, please post it.) Anyway, you end up with a partially useless nitrating mixture.

Does anybody remember that or have a thread? I can't find it, but I know it's there.

The_Duke
September 26th, 2007, 03:04 AM
I don't remember a thread, but the dehydration of ammonium nitrate with sulfuric acid is referenced breifly on page 370 of COPAE.

Attached to this post is the reference cited by Davis.

Rbick
September 26th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Thanks Enkidu and for the file Duke, it was very informative. What I got from it was that as long as the solution isn't heated too much, you wouldn't have a problem with producing too much nitrous oxide. Generally when I make a nitration mixture with Ammonium Nitrate and Sulfuric Acid, I keep it below 30 * C, and some of my yields making NG and ETN have been spectacular. The temp. only got to 30* BEFORE adding the glycerine or erythritol. Obviously it was cooled to 15* before addition of the material to be nitrated.

Although I did notice that the few times the temperature of the mixture went above 30* C prior to nitration, my yields went down significantly. Could it be that when I let the temperature get too high, too much nitrous oxide was formed, disallowing a good yield? My last two batches of ETN have been low, I'm guessing due to this. For instance, my last batch I used 20g erythritol and ended up with 20g ETN, which isn't very good at all. So I'll have to do some tests, and be more patient during the addition of my nitrate to the acid :o. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Azido
November 2nd, 2007, 04:29 PM
HNO3 Has the property that it acts as an oxidizer(nitrator) at high concentrations, eg 70%+, but below this concentration acts merely as an acid. Sulphuric acid dehydrates the acid, keeping it at a higher concentration, thereby ensuring the bulk of the nitric acid nitrates, rather than just making a corrosive mess.

To the best of my understanding. :D

Enkidu
November 3rd, 2007, 01:53 PM
I think you've got it backwards.

At < 70% conc., it acts as an oxidizer. (Not sure of any specific reactions... but the general idea would be an alcohol to a ketone.)

At > 70% conc., it is able to perform nitrations, IIRC.

Charles Owlen Picket
November 4th, 2007, 11:53 AM
At > 70% conc., it is able to perform nitrations, IIRC.

According to Moore & Stanitski in Chemistry, A Modular Science, you are correct. {Large portion of unique Undergrad textbook w/ info related to nitrations ISBN 0-534-1735-8}

Azido
November 5th, 2007, 01:48 AM
Well the point that sulphuric acid is there to keep the concentration high was made. :P