View Full Version : PCP Airguns

dnc
September 22nd, 2007, 04:42 PM
As you can see, this is my first post. I searched around on the site, and didn't see anything about PCP Airguns (high-powered) and I feel that they are definitely worth hearing about - if you haven't already. I realize that this isn't a great fit for the improvised weapons category, so please move it if necessary.

When we think of a pellet gun, we generally think of daisy or gamo. Those low-powered pellet guns that you can pick up at your local wal-mart for under 100 bucks. Sure, they are alright for killing squirrels and the like, but for anything bigger, they are not the weapon of choice. Last year, I was browsing the internet, and came across a website that carried something slightly more powerful: PCP airguns.

PCP stands for pre-charged pnuematic. Basically, pcp airguns are powered by large* tanks of pre-compressed air rather than the traditional methods (c02, spring, spring-piston, pump). The pre-charged pnuematic technology allow the airgun to propel a much higher calibur, heavier pellet at over 1000fps. in some instances, the pcp guns can be more powerful than powder burners. PCP's generally range from .22 to .50 in calibur and can achieve a "whopping" 500fpe at the muzzle (depending on calibur and weight of pellet of course).

A site that lists many guns like I am talking about: http://pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/show.pl?cmd_category=show&category_id=2

I personally own an Airfoce Talon SS - which has been modified out the wazoo. Modifying airforce series guns is extremely easy (and fun). Many different calibur barrels are available, and you can also purchase after market valves that increase power significantly. Its basically like the ar-15 of the airgunning world. Also, due to the layout of the gun, and the fact that the air which propels the pellet is not extremely hot (like a powder burner), it is easy to make effective silencers out of easily obtainable materials (even PVC pipe if you really want to).

http://pyramydair.com/images/talon_ss2_small.jpg

In its current configuration, my gun has a customized valve, custom made shroud, custom .25 cal barrel, and has a muzzle energy comparable to a .22lr when shooting 42g lead pellets. My gun is quiet enough to be shot in neighborhoods and powerful enough to take down coyotes at 50+ yards and deer at 25 (yes, I killed a deer with it). It is more accurate than any gun I've ever owned. I frequently group at under 1" at 50yrds. It is definitely my urban sniper of choice.

I do not know how well this post will go over, or if you guys will be interested. If you want to know more about the guns, I can provide pictures of mine, and instructions on how to modify the stock valve for more power, where to get .25 barrels and after market valves, and how to make shrouds.

later

ann
September 22nd, 2007, 07:48 PM
I have fired a few air guns that had the power of standard smokeless powder powered guns (in the .223rem range)..but they were as loud as a regular cartridge gun.How is this so quiet ??

dnc
September 22nd, 2007, 09:55 PM
Granted, in general, high powered air guns are as loud as their powder burning counterparts. In the case of the Airforce series air guns (which is what I own), it is very easy to fabricate a shroud to silence them. You can also get pretty much any calibur barrel and after market valves to increase power. The silver thing in the picture below is the shroud.
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x149/mr_omn/Gallery%20C/Gallery%20D/Gallery%20E/Gallery%20F/Gallery%20G/TOG%20Patches/Valves%20and%20Valve%20Bodies/Bubashot%20LDC%20and%20Stealth/Night%20Vision%20and%20Lasers/Stocks%20and%20WoodWork/Pellet%20Impact/Pellet%20Penetration/Hammers%20Weights%20and%20Breeches/Diagrams/Axiom%20Lemak/308%20airforce/Disassembly/Talon%20Condor%20and%20Stealth/business_end_sized.jpg

ann
September 23rd, 2007, 12:19 AM
Nice BRO....:D....VERY NICE.

When you say "shroud" is it a expansion chamber ,baffled,wiped ???

Also when you say "quiet" how quiet as I think a regular .177 pellet gun is loud.

I have used aguila .22 colibri and in a 18 inch barrel it is VERY quiet in fact no noise but the hammer falling.

dnc
September 23rd, 2007, 12:53 AM
When you say "shroud" is it a expansion chamber ,baffled,wiped ???
Mine is just pretty much just a thick aluminum expansion chamber. My friend has the same thing except with baffles and his is much quieter. Depending on the design of your shroud, you can eliminate all sounds except the hammer slap.

Also when you say "quiet" how quiet as I think a regular .177 pellet gun is loud.
Mine is comparable to a .177 in terms of loudness. If I baffled it, I could get it quieter. I've found that the sound of air rifles firing doesn't carry as far as you would think. It may seem loud if you are the one shooting a .177, but stand 20 feet away and you will barely notice it.

Cobalt.45
October 12th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Ann wrote "I have fired a few air guns that had the power of standard smokeless powder powered guns (in the .223rem range)..."

What is the make and model?

Jacks Complete
October 16th, 2007, 04:58 PM
There are some wonderful examples of the gunsmith's art out there.

In the UK (perhaps unsurprisingly) air rifle power is limited to the almost useless 12 ft.-lbs. so the biggest calibre around is normally .25", and even that is rare. You can get more powerful airguns on FAC, but then you might as well get a "real" gun. Also, the police seem very cagey about giving people FAC rated air weapons, perhaps because they are so easy to silence.

lucas
October 17th, 2007, 04:45 AM
I have PCP in .22 cal. I was quite shocked to hear it at first. It has a bang as loud as subsonic 22lr match ammo, but then the velocity is about the same too, depending on pellet from 830-950fps (chronographed), and 25-29fp energy. It's great for pigeons and works on rabbits, although I've only taken 1 rabbit with it so far. Regular air rifles have a decent amount of recoil from the action of the spring and piston, PCP air rifles have no recoil to speak of in the standard sizes, .50 cal airguns etc would have some I'd expect. Accuracy is good with the right pellets. Variation in velocity is only aout 10fps spread which is important for longer range shots.

Since locally silencers are not available I eventually made my own and the muzzel blast is now quite tame. The sound of pellet impact now far exceeds the sound of the muzzel blast. Like in the post above, the noise of the mechanism is quite noticeable now which gives an indication of the effectiveness of the unit. I was plasantly surprised how well it worked.

The barrel is cylindrical, not tapered so a push on design was easy to make, however it did involve access to a lathe. The design is based on standard principles of baffles and plenty of volume to expand into.

The 250mm X 25mm aluminium tube has baffles made from washers of the right size spaced about 10mm apart. The spacers are perforated 10mm pieces of 19mm aluminium tube, 4 holes of about 5 mm were drilled in each to allow expansion of the air through them. The end 30mm was first plugged with an epoxy type material similar to car body filler, drilled in a lathe and then bored out to the right size on a friend's lathe. The assambly after making the mounting sleve was simple and the end washer is simply epoxied into place. It is slid on over a layer of plumber's teflon tape and the alignment is good.

Many PCP guns come with silincers from the factory in other juristictions, including my model, but not here. hmph.

A 9mm air gun like that on pyramid air would probably be a good deer gun for those who can stalk close enough.

I'm impresed that the .25 cal air gun took a deer. What energy/velocity does it provide?