View Full Version : A career in chemistry

saveit124
October 16th, 2007, 11:33 PM
I'm a college student and I have considered a career in chemistry for a long time now. I have done quite a bit of advanced chemistry in highschool (both in and out of class) and really enjoy the stuff on this website. But I am also very creatively inclined and chose as my major computer animation. I still have plenty of time to change it though. I initially turned down chemistry simply because I thought of what a career would be like and decided it would be very boring. doing tedius labwork and research all day (cus I would go all the way and get my doctorite). I want to know though, is there a job out there that is on the cutting edge of chemistry and also lets me be creative and at the same time is not the same boring droll everyday and things stay interesting? or is that just a dream?

nbk2000
October 17th, 2007, 12:35 AM
You would never get hired to a professional career with the grammar skills you've just demonstrated in the above post.

megalomania
October 17th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Computational chemistry and molecular simulations would combine your interest with chemistry and animation. They are boring and tedious, far more so than most aspects of chemistry, but animation is also boring and tedious, so take your pick. Computational chemistry is a hot field and promises to be more so in the future. It is certainly a field that would benefit you to have a PhD.

robinhood1532
October 17th, 2007, 06:10 PM
I too am facing a similar crisis. However, I have been provided the exciting opportunity to work for a professor of chemistry at the University of Connecticut next summer. While I would consider teaching in itself an exciting career, I hope that this opportunity will offer some useful insight and suggestions as to "what to do".

Being within inquiring distance of such a man will also be incredibly convenient to me, as he is sympathetic to my interests and willing to help an inquisitive spirit. I also believe that he is curing cancer in his free time, and while I don't find this pursuit as intriguing as others, I would expect that being a professor would provide the means to partake in such endeavors.

stephenb25
October 20th, 2007, 12:10 AM
I must say that I have also been considering a career in Chemistry. I am lucky to have good teachers to guide me. they have so far suggested a chemistry degree and I plan on competing one when I finish School.
This site provides many Chemistry job's and I have found it useful. http://www.unixl.com/dir/molecular_sciences/chemistry/chemistry_jobs/
I think that the way to go is probably with industry from my research but there are many paths.
I wish you luck in your future studies and eventually job finding.