View Full Version : Looking for some solubility info...

jpsmith123
November 1st, 2007, 10:16 PM
Hello,

I'm wondering, does anyone have any info on the solubility of NaCl and/or KCl in diethylene glycol and/or ethylene glycol? Thanks.

Charles Owlen Picket
November 2nd, 2007, 11:25 AM
You MIGHT be able to find some from major manufacturers/distributors of glycol products to medical facilities or research. A good place to start would be those large business to business web sites that are chemical specific.

jpsmith123
November 2nd, 2007, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the thought, but I already tried that...unfortunately with no luck.

nbk2000
November 2nd, 2007, 09:49 PM
Knowing WHY you are asking the question goes a long way to answering it.

jpsmith123
November 2nd, 2007, 10:32 PM
I recently saw something in a patent about a novel electropolishing solution that would supposedly work on many different metals, including titanium (the main object of my interest). IIRC, the preferred formula was KCl and ethylene glycol, although NaCl could be substituted for KCl, and diethylene glycol for ethylene glycol. In light of this, I was curious about the solubilities of these salts in the various glycols.

nbk2000
November 2nd, 2007, 11:14 PM
Best way to find out is to buy the materials and mix it up yourself.

If it's a patent, surely they've included information on the ratios, right? Or a reference to something?

megalomania
November 3rd, 2007, 01:45 AM
One of the books published by CRC press might have what you are looking for. I am blanking on the title (not the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, which might also have it), it is one of those physical properties books on solubilities.

Today I heard a chemist recite an anecdote about Edison: Edison asked his assistants to find out the volume of a lightbulb. They went to work measuring the bulb with rulers and calipers, and used all the fancy engineering equations, but every one of them had a different answer. Edison then proceeded to snip the end off a bulb, fill it with water, and measure the volume by dumping it in a beaker.

The moral of the story is sometimes an experiment can be very simple, and nbk2000 already suggested the best answer to the problem, do the solubility tests yourself and you will have an answer. Measuring solubility is not hard to figure out.

Bugger
November 3rd, 2007, 06:48 AM
Here is the CRC Handbook Of Chemistry, 87th edition:

http://rapidshare.com/files/16522356/CRC_Handbook_Of_Chemistry___Physics-87thEd_CRC-PDF-2006-7_.zip
92,362 Kb

I downloaded the International Critical Tables a year or two ago. They would certainly have the solubility data for salts in glycols you require, if the CRC Handbook does not. You could try looking for it on Google as a rapidshare.com download (include "rapidshare.com/files" and "International Critical Tables" in double quotation marks in the search string), or as a BitTorrent download (include torrent and "International Critical Tables" in the search string).

jpsmith123
November 3rd, 2007, 11:20 AM
The patent is US6835300. I already tried a quick test with NaCl and KCl using glycerin and propylene glycol as solvents, to no avail. (It didn't look like anything dissolved, and the solution measured infinite resistance with my cheapo digital meter).

I just bought some diethylene glycol (OTC as Sterno "wick chafing fuel"), and I'm preparing a test with that.

If this can be made to work, I can see some potential use as a surface preparation for titanium, prior to cobalt oxide plating (for use as a perchlorate anode).

tranquillity
November 3rd, 2007, 07:54 PM
I think you may need something like a crown ether http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_ether which are specifically designed to improve solubility of salts in organic solvents. Each crown ether has a preference to a specific cation so you would need to make a decision about KCl or NaCl.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4435582.html details the synthesis of 18-crown-6 which targets potassium ions.

jpsmith123
November 4th, 2007, 12:31 AM
That's the first I've ever heard of a "crown ether". Sounds interesting, but as I recall, the patent didn't mention anything else as being required. I'll try the DEG with NaCl and then KCl tomorrow and see what happens.

nbk2000
November 4th, 2007, 01:25 AM
Patents often leave out the important details, to confound potential copy-cats.

jpsmith123
November 7th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Just in case anyone's interested, I tried diethylene glycol with NaCl and KCl and had no luck; i.e., it appeared that nothing dissolved, and the liquid had no measurable conductivity. I think nbk2000 may be correct - some important detail was left out of the patent.