View Full Version : Lamination Removal Techniques

boodih
November 2nd, 2007, 06:28 PM
Does anybody have any information about lamination removal techniques?
I am searching for chemicals, methods, techniques, machines or "patented machines not built yet" that would help in loosening nylon, polyester or plastic laminates from papers.

nbk2000
November 2nd, 2007, 09:51 PM
Standard Reply #1:

What have you contributed to here that we should answer such a question from an unknown n00b?

boodih
November 3rd, 2007, 08:16 AM
I am a newbie, I still have contributed nothing to this forum.

This post about "Lamination Removal Techniques", if discussed further would be a first step small contribution, because it would help in :

a- Answering the subject of lamination removal techniques.
b- Discussing related patented technologies.
c- Developing or inventing new techniques due to brainstorming.

If such a subject is brainstormed and discussed further, wouldn't that be a small contribution:

a- to people who are searching Google for a similar subject, who want that subject answered. Every public post is automatically indexed by Google search engine, so that people searching for a similar subject would enter this forum through Google, and would find good answers to their questions, and a good community ready for open discussion. By the way I was searching for a subject over google and I was leaded to this good forum.
b- to members of this forum who might be looking for an answer
c- to researchers who want to discuss related patented technologies, or even cooperate in developing new related technologies.

nbk2000, I have read many of your posts, you are a experienced in many areas, you have contributed a lot to this forum, I appreciate that.

nbk2000, thank you for your reply

festergrump
November 3rd, 2007, 02:57 PM
This is more like a Water Cooler question, isn't it? Besides, we're a little vague in the original post, aren't we?

Does the paper or plastic need to remain intact in the process? What is the texture of each? What bonds them together, a glue or an adhesive? You leave everyone here guessing and any helpful answers might be just as vague as the input you've given, though I'll try to help...

Heat works for defeating adhesives most often used in the cabinetry field for laminating plastic or veneers to pressboards, plyboards, or melamine... as does laquer thinner. Use light pressure to peel one layer away from the other while administering heat or dousing with laquer thinner liberally. (my experience is not with paper, but more often veneer).

If heat and laquer thinner don't work and you don't know what was used to join the two, I'd recommend you apply sand paper and just kiss your "paper" side goodbye. Chances are good a decent glue was used to bond the two.

NOTE: An adhesive, while some are very strong, is merely a sticky stand-alone substance which "rides" on surfaces and remains forever somewhat pliable (thus "sticky"), while a true "glue" forms a solid union either through solidifying after invading pores or by creating a molecular union, at least that's what the general concensus is in millwork circles of which I am affiliated.

BTW, depending on the thickness of both your plastic and paper, either might be damaged by applying the necessary heat to break an adhesive bond. Laquer thinner will only sometimes stain the paper but usually won't harm the plastic. YMMV, depending on so many variables...

P.S. I'll bet every member here would be impressed if you somehow showed that this question of yours related to E&W. I sure would.

nbk2000
November 6th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Not related to E&W, but certainly related to freedom, as anyone who's gotten out of a repressive country using a falsified passport will attest to.

Given how many countries are, or are turning into police-states, being able to fake a passport to get out would be a good thing.

Hirudinea
November 6th, 2007, 09:21 PM
If you want to remove lamination from a document, why not just copy the document, modify the document as you see fit and then just laminate the new document?

nbk2000
November 7th, 2007, 12:26 AM
The laminate is a hologram that would be impossible for an individual to forge at home, thus the need to keep it intact.

anonymous411
November 7th, 2007, 11:53 AM
The laminate is a hologram that would be impossible for an individual to forge at home, thus the need to keep it intact.

On a tangential subject, I found a supplier who sells customized holographic card overlays and rolls of holographic film for printers. Obviously not applicable in many cases, but very handy to know about:

http://www.novavisioninc.com/pages/prd_overlays.html
http://www.novavisioninc.com/pages/prd_hologram_holograms.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=holograms&utm_campaign=holograms

parmin
November 22nd, 2007, 10:59 PM
Majority of laminates are heat melt glues. they melts at about 130 to170 celcius.

theoritically, if you work in a controlled temperature area at the melting temps of the laminates, you could remove the coatings.

Par