View Full Version : Hydraziniumpicrate - Archive file

zaibatsu
March 15th, 2003, 01:46 PM
PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted November 09, 2000 09:43 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Following my knowledge in chemistry, hydrazinium picrate might be interesting, I can do it easily since I have acces to both chemicals.
NH2-NH3-OH + H-OC6H2(NO2)3--> H2O + NH2-NH3-OC6H2(NO2)3
Does someone have infos on it? I suspect it to be more powerful but also more sensitive than explosive D (ammonium picrate)?

------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o )"

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted November 10, 2000 05:48 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Actually I did it and... I mixed alcool solution saturated with trinitrophenol and hydrazinium hydroxyde I got imediate cristalline precipitate... allow me to dry it and I tell you the results!

------------------
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o )"

z-pinch
A new voice
posted November 11, 2000 04:21 PM
i'm waiting...
meanwhile, could you tell me about the properties of explosive D?

CodeMason
Frequent Poster
posted December 04, 2000 12:43 AM
Explosive D, ammonium picrate, is simply the more stable salt of picric acid. It has roughly the same properties, but it requires a greater force to detonate and it's detonation velocity is slightly lower.

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted January 05, 2001 07:53 AM
In my experience, Ex. D is very hard to detonate (harder than TNT). I think it'd be better for you to use PA and just coat metal with plastic to stop metal picrate salts from forming.

Phil Z. Have you done it yet? I'm very interested to hear the results.

Microtek
Frequent Poster
posted January 05, 2001 08:24 AM
I have read that explosive D was used as a filler for amour-piercing grenades in WWII. Not amour-piercing as in shaped-charge but a high-velocity grenade that penetrates amour and explodes inside (SAPHE). Explosive D was insensitive enough to withstand the impact, and was then detonated by a 1" diameter coloumn of tetryl in the center of the grenade.

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted January 11, 2001 04:45 AM
I have made a test with 0.25g and when molten in a flamme it makes a puff... some people have told me it is a useless experiment since it is said to be less powerfull than NH4 salt. However, I have done the same experiment with 0.5g and I got a flash ball about 5cm diameter. One of this week end I will trow 1g packed inside aluminium foil into a fire... the funny part of it is that aluminium conducts heat and when it detonates or deflagrates, it makes Al dust (what can't make no arm)...the test is interesting to see the power of explosion of a substance and it's explosivity when confined without too much risks; Al dust won't go far and can't schrapnelise you :-)
Anyway I will make a bigger batch of it like 10g to make other experiments on it.

------------------

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted January 11, 2001 04:58 AM
Oups I meaned It can't make arm! Double negation is an affirmation. Thus it is VERY SAFE until 1g. with more, you have to take the flying burning wood or charcoal pieces in account so stay at a safe distance.
The more layer of Al you have, the more the delay you have to run in a safe radius. BTW power of an explosion is multiplied by 3 every weight doubling.Beware of that!!!!!
So 0.25g will have a power x and a safe radius y; 1g will have a power 9x and a safe radius 9y; 4g /power 81x and safe radius 81y.

Don't do more than 1g then because the safe radius is already 9 meters. More would blow your fire off and appart in a radius of 10 meters!!!!!
1g can make as much noise as a shoot of a gun!

There is no safe radius for a metal pipe; if you can see it, it can kill you!

------------------