View Full Version : Vacuum effect from Projectile

Felixuxo
November 28th, 2007, 10:26 AM
I have been asked if anyone can help with this issue and wondered if anyone has any bright ideas in here . There is a problem with ignition systems in the back of projectiles caused by the vacuum effect left in its wake This is causing ignition systems to fail as hot gases are drawn from the delay elements in the base of the unit. Can anyone shed light on my problem? :confused:

Bert
November 29th, 2007, 02:28 AM
Go to a solid/solid reaction (gasless) delay train. Get a copy of Hardt's Pyrotechnics for information on more or less current chemistry and techniques. Gasless delays are pretty common, as it is undesirable to have a delay element raise the internal pressure of an artillery shell in flight.

Alternatively, a system that leaves an adhering slag to protect the reaction zone and hold the heat in might serve. Are you trying to use black powder as the delay element? BP won't burn in a vacuum...

Felixuxo
November 29th, 2007, 05:03 AM
Thank you, Bert. A Tungsten based gasless system I think is the way to go, which we are producing already. But there are issues with ease of ignition. So will go with incremental pressings and T40 BP at the end of the delay.