View Full Version : A nice idea to make a stuff better than TNT !!!!

Sweeper
January 3rd, 2008, 12:44 PM
I`ve thinking a little bit in sleepless nights about what is
something better than TNT. I`m thinking around and noting more
will give me nice expiriences to make a stuff somewhat better
than TNT. I`m searching around to get the starting material but
MERK gives no more informations about this stuff. I`m remember
me that a easy merck Database on CD gives detailed infos about
the stuff some year ago to the material. I mean the simple liquid
"cyclooctahydrotetren".
It`s somtimes expensive but the power should be more than better
as TNT.
Look megas snth. and you can make a good explosive from that.
My suggestion looks more than easy.

The stuff what you can make make names
1,3,5,7-tetranamino-2,4,6,8-cyclooctahydrotetren (C8H12)
which have the sensibility of TATB and more than the
power of this can be prepared of the same way like TATB.

Maybe it works easy when you preprare the hard water soluble crystals of
1,3,5-trichlorobenzene from benzene and the
1,3,5,7-tetrachloro-2,4,6,8-cyclooctahydrotetren from cyclooctahydrotetren
with a strong reflux of high concentrated HCl ( 25% or 32 %, more over37%
is not more any available).
Maight it works better when the used HCl is satturated about 40% bevore used whith dryed chlorine gas until noting of the whight is increased.

1 mol of cyclooctahydrotetren (1 mol of benzene) is mixed in a 2000 ml
hard stoppered flaskand with about 10 mol of the saturated HCl
(hard pressed with fine glass wool) and is then the two liquids are
refluxed on the highest boiling point of the these liquids
(around 68 degrees centigrade - 40% HCl, searching of C8H12 gives noting results) for minumum 2 tree days. The big crystals of 1,3,5,7-tetrachloro-2,4,6,8-cyclooctahydrotetren or what ever naming the stuff (2,4,6,8-tetrachloro-1,3,5,7-cyclooctahydrotetren)
are filterd out and washed with a lot of distilled water.

Synthesis 1: (the simplest):
The dryed crystals from the last result are dissolved in enough anhydrous ethanol and dryed ammonia is bubbled into the mixture until noting weight is increased.

Synthesis 2:
The obtained crystals are dissolved in a minimum amount of toluene, the big flask is hard sealed with glas wool and ammonia gas is bubbled into the mix until the wigth will noting increased. This are my own ideas and you can get more fine results when you calculate a similar step (for instance by meags page)

Unkown crystals are filterd out and dryed on an warm place. These should be muchmore insensitive and unsoluble in water, i think more than TATB.

Charles Owlen Picket
January 4th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Benzene is tough to get these days. Just like a lot of carcinogenic materials that previously had been common place (carbon tet); it's expensive as it's usually sold as reagent-grade. If toluene can be substituted then it would be a Hell of a lot more viable.

Man Down Under
January 4th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I'm glad someone was able to make sense of the OP because I didn't.

Where is the nitro- bonds needed for an explosive? Is this supposed to be the finished explosive, or a precursor to something else?

Jome skanish
January 20th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Benzene can be synthed via dry-destillation of benzoates together with lye, I just read a thread on smdb where they did just that. The TS -post gave me headache.

megalomania
January 22nd, 2008, 08:55 PM
I am afraid the foreign flavored English of the original poster is just too bad to keep this thread open. I can't properly edit the thread since I am unsure what chemical information might be erroneously altered. To let this continue could possibly be dangerous since even I am not exactly sure what the OP is synthesizing.