View Full Version : ANL-Ascorbate

DONMAN
January 8th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I was reading about the KNO3 + Ascorbic acid and it gave me the idea to replace the KNO3 with a bit stronger oxidizer... I wasn't sure how the ratio would go so I just found the oxygen balance of the Ascorbic acid. Turns out its like -90% and we all know that NH4NO3 is around 20% so that gives us something like 4.5 moles AN to 1 mole Vitamin C. That works out to be around 2.018 g (NH3NO3/Ascorbic acid). Is this correct???

Some possible concerts with the compound would be...

Formation of nitric acid as AN is very hydrophilic
Reactions with metals as a result...

I have made a small amount but I think that my AN has got hydrated dude to the fact there is a lot of moisture in the air, as it is raining...

So I really haven't got to test the formula yet... Please tell me if my work is correct and/or are my concerns realistic.
I am going to do some research soon once it stops raining :D

Until then can any one provide any insight ???

Masonjar Chemist
January 8th, 2008, 11:46 PM
(NH3NO3/Ascorbic acid).

It's NH4NO3 :), also I think you will have a hard time igniting the mixture even if it is dry. Some KNSU may get it going but I have my doubts. If you are looking for a “crimson powder” substitute you can stop now, but if you are looking for a rocket propellant you may want to add some aluminum powder to sensitize it. I would be very impressed if you are able to ignite this mixture at all; ammonium nitrate is a stubborn oxidizer especially in pyrotechnics.

BTW, where did the L in ANL Ascorbate come from? Am I missing something?

DONMAN
January 9th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Ascorbic acid is also known as L-ascorbate. I noticed when I tried to get a sample to burn, it first melted.... Then fizzled. So I am going to try to melt a small quantity into a solid. The Vitamin C melts around 190-192 so it will be tricky :/. I if it works it may dehydrate the NH4NO3 and then keep it from re-hydrating; possibly sensitizing the whole mix. I think there is potential here. I am not looking for any crimson powder by any means but, it would be nice if I could get a clean crisp burn.

Curiosity, is the mother of invention.

DONMAN
January 13th, 2008, 04:37 AM
I melted it together and I was left with a blood red solid that was relatively incombustible. I wouldnt recommend trying this experiment as its a waist of materials.
:(

Although, I am curios as to why its red. Possibly the start of the dehydration of the L-ascorbate?