View Full Version : Guerrilla's Arsenal

phrankinsteyn
February 8th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I was interested in reading the book: Guerrilla's Arsenal by David Harber . Has anyone seen the price for this book? http://www.amazon.com/Guerrillas-Arsenal-Techniques-Explosives-Time-Delay/dp/0873647556

I do not believe it is worth that price. What do the other members of E&W think? I would appreciate your thoughts and input.

Also wanted to let everyone know that the rapidshare link in: The Explosives and Weapons Forum > Knowledge and Information > Book and File Requests Missing Pages
Post #23 by Teshilo for SPIWHD vol 4 is no longer valid. Rapidshare web site say's "file not found"

JekyllandHyde
February 10th, 2008, 01:48 AM
The value of a book is not is not merely a reflection of how acurite the information it contains is. Biblophiles will look at several factors when determining how much a particular book is worth. These include:

1. How rare the book is
2. The books condition
3. Who wrote the book
4. Whether or not the book is an origional run or a reprint.
5. Etc

As such a mint condition book, from the origional print run, can be extremely valuable.

In conclusion, an origional book such as the Guerrillas Arsenal, IS worth a bloody lot of money - but the price is more likely to reflect is collectability, rather than how pertinant the information is.The value of a book is not is not merely a reflection of how accurate the information it contains is; bibliophiles will look at several factors when determining how much a particular book is worth. These include:

1. How rare the book is
2. The books condition
3. Who wrote the book
4. Whether or not the book is an original run or a reprint.
5. Etc

As such a mint condition book, from the original print run, can be extremely valuable.

In conclusion, an original book such as the Guerrillas Arsenal, IS worth a bloody lot of money - but the price is more likely to reflect is collect ability, rather than how pertinent the information is.

phrankinsteyn
February 10th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Thank you for your answer. I will try find a pdf somewhere to see what is printed in this book. If I find one, I will share it with the E&W forum. I would like to read their opinions on the procedures described.

Charles Owlen Picket
February 10th, 2008, 11:27 AM
I buy a lot of rare & old books and the above is right on the money. The unique thing is that some of the very things that readers here would prize are NOT touted by the majority of the book buying public (for the present time....)! If you have a hobby interest in subjects discussed here in this forum and are NOT buying up what you think you would like to have a record of; someone else is.

A great example is Federoff & Urbanski. I have seen prices vary from several hundred to 10-20 dollars. I have seen books from 1900 sell for $100 - $5 that discuss the chemistry of energetic material in a manner reproducible by the home hobby chemist due to age of synthesis elements. If you CAN find an old book seller and let it be known that you have an interest he will charge a great deal. If you casually buy them as availability permits, you'll get a bargain.

Once it's known that such a subject has worth; the books climb rapidly in cost. Energetic chemistry in general is a seldom authored subject. The real quality material is still out there (for now).

Aristocles
February 10th, 2008, 03:29 PM
I used to sell rare books. My focus was in the field of Western Americana.

The above named factors are very relevant.

The BUYER/MARKET: Even the most ragged book, say a Good or in some instances an ex-libris can bring a decent fee if the book is exceedingly rare and WANTED. Without doubt a book can be a signed, limited, numbered, etc. and not bring a great dollar if it has no real market. I have seen this. I could never understand why anyone would go to the expense and trouble to produce a rare volume with no audience... perhaps family and friends... who knows...

I doubt I would add much to above mentioned post, it seems pretty accurate to me.

As an aside: I suspect the three offerings I see at the link will be served with salt and pepper as the sellers will likely be eating them. I could certainly be dead wrong but I am dubious as to them fetching that price. But it will depend on the market and not the information, generally.

I once found what I consider to be a 'one-of-a-kind' item. It was likely not one of a kind but was the only 'known' copy. It brought around 6k in the end. Tiny little pamphlet. Now if it would have been some sort of an only 'known copy' of a work by someone who has a much greater following of collectors with much deeper pockets, then it would have been virtually priceless.

Condition is always a factor, even with excessively rare items.

Strangely, I found myself to become more and more involved with books as objects per se rather than what most were intended for, reading.

Thorald
February 11th, 2008, 05:51 PM
No it is not worth the money.

Although its a good quality book, I dont think its worth the money. If I recall correctley it has 160 pages and I dont think its worth the money on that basis not saying the information is of low quality however.

Here (http://www.4shared.com/file/37526127/b824bb01/Guerillas_Arsenal_-_Advanced_Techniques_For_Making_Explosives_and_Tim e-Delay_Bombs_-_David_Harber__Paladin_Press_.html) is a scanned in version I found some time ago

If its the wrong thing I uploaded it incorectly, and will upload it again...

Silentnite
February 19th, 2008, 01:59 AM
I've noticed that in the E&W field of books the prices are rather high simply due to scarcity. A lot of them aren't published anymore, and those that do have them usually keep them.

But $885? I've seen it for $35 or so at the local gun shows. In which case I'll grab it next time I attend.

phrankinsteyn
February 19th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Thank you Thorald for the ebook.
Now I can stop searching for it and can start reading it. :)