View Full Version : What would you do with this marvelous machine?

iHME
February 23rd, 2008, 06:14 PM
So, we have this machine that inflicts unbearable pain remotely.
No burn marks or other evidence of use.
What would you do with it?

Some info on the technology and device:
Article at Dailymail article about it (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/technology/technology.html?in_article_id=482560&in_page_id=1965)

Manufacturers site about it (http://www.raytheon.com/products/silent_guardian/)

Also if one could make this from domestic electronics with minimal modifications it could be a pretty marvelous item to cause panic.

It uses microwaves to stimulate nerve endings.
It is "tuned" to the specific frequency.
The frequency is probably pretty high as the skin effect is stated to be only 1/64 inch.

Of course the home made one would not need to have so tight tolerances as the commercial one, it is for panic and chaos, not for torture and crowd control.

dinkydexy
February 23rd, 2008, 08:57 PM
i. Manipulate the outcome of sporting events by zapping horses, players, athletes etc (device would need to be disguised...in a pair of binoculars, for example) and thus make a stash at the bookies.

ii. Deter the local idiots from hanging around.

iii. Exact revenge on certain people who've taken liberties with me in the last ten years and mistakenly think I've forgotten about it.

Hirudinea
February 23rd, 2008, 09:32 PM
Have you ever seen the Star Trek episode "Mirror, Mirror"? With this you could have your very own 'Agony Booth'!

sbovisjb1
February 24th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Kakihara! What the fuck
do you think you are doing?

Just a little torture.

- Ichi the Killer(Koroshiya)

BlackFalcoN
February 28th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Footage of this machine can be seen on the Discovery's 'Future Weapons', S02E12 (ADS: Active Denial System).

As to the original question: I would try to increase the output and wavelength of the machine and learn to focus on the eyes/brainstem. Turn it from a less-than-lethal-weapon into a more-than-lethal-weapon. ;)

Remote focussed boiling of the cerebellum can ruin every mark's day I'd say. :rolleyes:

a3990918
February 28th, 2008, 04:52 PM
As to the original question: I would try to increase the output and wavelength of the machine and learn to focus on the eyes/brainstem. Turn it from a less-than-lethal-weapon into a more-than-lethal-weapon. ;)

Remote focussed boiling of the cerebellum can ruin every mark's day I'd say. :rolleyes:

I'm assuming that there is no physical evidence left after the application of this weapon? If the effective range could be extended far enough, then conceivably, this could be the ultimate assasination weapon. The "mark" would fall over, dead, from an apparent heart attack, stroke,aneurism:confused: etc. There would be no evidence to the contrary until an autopsy was performed several hrs or days later, giving the assassin ample time to dispose of the weapon and make good his escape:p...

BlackFalcoN
February 28th, 2008, 05:08 PM
The weapons works by focusing a wave of energy on a concentrated spot. This causes local topical heating, just enough for the pain sensors in the skin to be activated and cause the person to move. The penetration of the wave of the ADS is very minimal, thus causing no internal heating. (the frequency is picked because it does not penetrate very deep into tissue).

If you could cause the wave to penetrate deeper (alter frequency to around e.g. 2.4 GHz microwave and amplitude) and make the focal point of the waves on a very small target spot, you could literally boil somebodies tissue (very rapidly heating is required, since you don't want to give him the opportunity to move out of the wave).

If you could target the part of the brain that actually controls balance and motor functions, you could first disable that, and then let your sadistic fantasies burn whichever part you prefer without your target actually being able to flee :p (much like burning crippled flies with a magnifying glass ;) )

I agree that this would make a very stealthy weapon, since it does not generate any noise, visible projectile and since it hasn't been done very often in criminal history.