View Full Version : Beginner or Amateur Chem. Lab Set_Up

a3990918
February 29th, 2008, 12:02 AM
The following links to a file containing a old(50's-60's) short article and an even older (1926) 31 page booklet discussing the set-up of a small Chemical Laboratory. While most of the apparatus shown is easily purchased in the U.S. the construction details might be helpfull for someone living in a restricted area where the equipment is not so readily available.

Equipping a Chemical Lab

How to make and Use a Small Chemical Laboratory

http://rapidshare.com/files/95789119/Yazoo_Lawn_Mower_Repair.rar.html

7.79mb
Pass. roguesci.org

tmp
March 1st, 2008, 01:02 PM
Now on the FTP in "CHEMISTRY - OTHER" subdirectory. Opened up
sudirectory version is now called "Home Chemistry Lab Setup And Use".

TheBlob
March 27th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I just browsed through it and it seems pretty interesting, I like how the book explains how to set up pretty much a whole lab without any expensive glassware (you can make your own!). I didn't read all of it, but at page 26 of Home Lab Set Up, something caught my eye:

Production of Nitric Acid

Na2SO4 + H2SO4 = HNO3 + Na2SO4

Now I'm no Ph.D. in chemistry, but I don't see where the nitrogen comes from, as there is no nitrogen at all in the reagents. Anyone got any Idea?

thelasttrueone
March 29th, 2008, 05:46 PM
It almost definitely meant NaNO3 not Na2SO4.

TheBlob
March 30th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Is any alcaline nitrate (KNO3, NaNO3, CsNO3,...) mixed with sulfuric acid going to produce nitric acid and the corresponding alcaline sulfate? This may seem like a very basic chemistry question, myself learning university chemistry, but I wasn't ever sure about that.

stephenb25
March 30th, 2008, 08:06 AM
I would say that yes any alkaline nitrate salt mixed with concentrated sulfuric would produce nitric acid. It has worked for all the ones I have seen, some better than others.
On the chemistry side it's because the sulfuric is a strong acid and reacts with the salt which acts as a base producing the conjugate metal sulfate.
I am certain that if you do the reaction right it will work for most common nitrate salts(KNO3, NH4NO3 etc. ) that you will be able to get your hands on.
If you can get CsNO3 thats wonderful have never seen it might be cool to try. The reaction will work for any of the common ones you can get your hands on though

megalomania
March 30th, 2008, 10:16 PM
The reaction will work for any alkaline nitrate salt, but your yields will vary considerably. Calcium nitrate, as I recall, gives low yields because it forms insoluble calcium sulfate, but the mechanism of this reaction benefits from all ions staying soluble.