View Full Version : Liquid high explosive?

lucky123
March 6th, 2008, 01:37 AM
I was watching future weapons the other night and heard of a liquid explosive called fixel (not sure about the spelling)... Has anyone heard of this dark orange liquid explosive before and how it is prepared?

Rbick
March 7th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Well lucky123, it looks like you're probably about to be not so lucky when Mega sees this...

I'll try to answer your question the best I can before you get banned and with the limited amount of information you've provided. Info like how the explosive was used, how much, the information that the show provided, would be useful.

After searching the net, I found no info on a "fixel" liquid explosive. This forum however, has a plethra of information on liquid explosives. One search of the forum would reveal you several threads. For example, a composition called "PLX" is a widely known liquid explosive. It is a mixture of nitromethane and an amine sensitizer. This mixture is cap sensitive and has a recorded VoD ranging from 6100 - 7000 m/sec depending on diameter. This could be the explosive they used, just with an added dye for identification and tracking. Anyway, if you don't get banned, remember to search before posting one liner requests like this which are specifically mentioned in the forum rules! The only way I see you not getting banned is if someone saves your ass with a great deal of information about this "fixel" you speak of.

Vozmezdne
March 7th, 2008, 01:03 PM
A search for xylitol pentanitrate will provide you with a plethora of useful information about a very easily produced liquid explosive, but I'm personally not convinced that XPN would actually be particularly useful. I suppose it would always be at the highest density you could reasonably expect to hold a liquid at, and that's always a good thing. It's a colourless and transparent oily gloop, though, and not at all the way you described it.

I believe this'll have to be moderated before it appears, so I'll probably just be repeating something somebody else tells you anyway.

plutobound
March 7th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Probably talking about FIXOR a two part explosive consisting of fine powdered aluminum and nitromethane. Shipped in two plastic bottles then mixed on-site and used for EOD. Advantage is the system can be shipped as a flammable liquid greatly reducing shipping restrictions. Information can be found at www.fixor.com and one patent is US06960267

megalomania
March 7th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I approved the thread because after a perfunctory search I didn't find anything. I figured the wrong spelling was used. I am curious myself as to what this stuff is.

What episode was this stuff mentioned?

Guerilla
March 8th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Its primary advantages come not so much from the explosive properties (NM isn't too cheap anyway, there are better low(ish) VoD/high energy mixes) but from the reduced shipping and storage costs as well as the limited use in "unwanted" hands due to short deterioration time, in those African EOD Operations it's predominantly been used in. I wonder if aluminium (and the air bubbles of course) really is the sole sensitizer in that mix though.

Zait
March 8th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Its primary advantages come... from the reduced shipping and storage costs as well as the limited use in "unwanted" hands due to short deterioration time, in those African EOD Operations it's predominantly been used in.

That is exactly why they like to use it. It is used heavily in Asia by companies that perform demining operations and they like it because it self-neutralizes over time. The benefit there is that if someone were to steal their explosives and attempt to use them as a terrorist device or a booby-trap (common in places like Cambodia) the explosives won't work by the time they are emplaced.

lucky123
March 9th, 2008, 11:59 PM
I not sure what episode it was but in the episode they were using a shape charge loaded with this fixel (dark orange colored in the show) and water to disarm explosive devices and showed its use on a car bomb and storage cargo container. It was a shape charge that would shoot a blast of water destroying the target without setting of the explosive devices inside (hope that helps you out some). Wish I could help out more with what episode it was. Maybe someone else happen to see this one? They did mention something about the explosive being an on site mixed liquid explosive I believe but the name they called It (fixel) I haven't heard before.

SafetyLast
March 10th, 2008, 06:13 PM
In that episode they used a device called an aquaram made by MREL. It employed the same water jet shaped charge principle that they have used in previous episodes with Sidney Alford.