View Full Version : Rifled Bullet

neetje
March 18th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I saw this video on youtube today:

Aluminium rifled bullet test shot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq-vXutrYoo)

I remembered seeing a patent on rifled bullets a couple of months ago, but I couldn't find it today. I wonder if anybody has ever tried this before because this could be very useful with an improvised smooth barrel gun ;)

I've tried searching google for rifled bullets and the patent, but it seems to find "rifle bullets" a better match...
I've searched this forum and couldn't find anything on it too, so I thought, let's make a new topic about it.

I wonder if anybody has ever tried firing/creating this before.

Bacon46
March 19th, 2008, 11:57 PM
I have shot rifled slugs through a smooth bore 12 gauge; you can drop a deer inside of 40 yards, but I have never shot a smooth lead slug out of the same gun for comparison. I don’t think companies like Winchester would bother rifling slugs if it didn’t improve the accuracy.

Use “rifled slug” for keywords.

neetje
March 20th, 2008, 10:49 AM
thx. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Charles Owlen Picket
March 20th, 2008, 11:26 AM
There was a test with Brennenike (sp?) slugs and the rifling thereof awhile back by Remington when they started to offer a rifled barrel for their slug guns. What they found may be of interest.

A rifled slug does indeed spin. But it spins gently (if loaded in such a manner - but that the only way rotation will be achieved). That is, it does not retain an energetic rotation. Slight alternative stimulus (like leaves or twigs) can upset the rotation or stifle it. What's more the spin is dependent upon loading elements and powder levels. It will loose it's spin in flight after approx. 120yrds in most cases. The best spin is achieved by DOWNLOADING a slug cartridge. High pressure loads offer LESS spin. The best accuracy is achieved with either extremes of load levels.

The lead vortex fins on the slug will only grip & spin if the slug is not over-powered. But that does not mean that a fast hard driven slug that is a "smoothbore special" (musket type load) cannot be accurate within 100yds.
A gentle load of a fast burning powder or a heavy load of slow burning powder (blue dot). In the later case, the slug does not spin that much but flies very flat. (see Remington Arms Corp 1998 publication "Slug-gun Barrel Development for the 21st Century").

Gunjack
March 25th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Rifled slugs give the same accuracy as the smooth lead slugs.
As long as they have a tight fit in the bore of the gun.
Up to 50 yards they give pretty good accuracy for a slug.
The groups are the size of 4 by 4 inches.
Tight bore fit or not,at 100 yards they are all over the place.
The ribs on the rifles slug are not made to give it a spin during flight.
They are made to give way in a choke of a rifle and create the perfect slug-bore fit on the spot.