View Full Version : Rocket Thrust

Hercules
June 28th, 2002, 05:39 PM
Did anyone dream about how much the maximum ammount of explosives (In grams) a rocket, powered by a class C Estes engine can carry without disturbing flightbalance recently? I will not take the risk of the thing going off pre-takeoff, since the Al casing I am planning to use, produces quite a load of shrapnel upon detonation. And another thing, is there a law :confused: against making remote-controlled rockets? (the ones you can actually maneuver during flight)This looks like a hell of a project to me...

Mick
June 28th, 2002, 06:37 PM
the C class motors will produce anywhere from 5-10N(newton seconds) of thrust. you do the maths.
if you looking for something thats going to lift heaps of HE - make your own motors. best site to look is <a href="http://www.nakka-rocketry.com" target="_blank">www.nakka-rocketry.com</a>

as for making a remote controled rocket. it pointless trying make one if you going to be using estes motors, they don't last very long, and there expensive as all hell.

on another note, you've made 2 new topics, both have been pretty simple questions that could have been answered quite quickly had you bothered to search the forum, and search the net.

and seriously - change your fucking signature you tool.

where did you find out about the The forum? totse.com or wierdpier.com

<small>[ June 28, 2002, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Mick ]</small>

kingspaz
June 28th, 2002, 08:41 PM
hercules, why not do the experiment youself and post the results? you don;t need to use explosives to fill the rockets to find the maximum mass launchable. use sand and afterwards you can post the results.
the site Mick has refered to is actually
<a href="http://www.nakka-rocketry.net/" target="_blank">http://www.nakka-rocketry.net/</a>
it will have everything you are looking for apart from specific answer such as how much explosive can be carried by a rocket of unspecified dimensions launched in an unspecified manner.
change that signature NOW or be destroyed :mad:
anarchy is an imposibility. society may be fucked and anarchy may seem like a solution but its not and i'm not going to get into it here.
as far as i am aware this topic is over if any other mods disagree then reopen it.
also no more new topics since your a newbie. read the rules and obey them. another violation such as this will result in HED.

MrSamosa
June 28th, 2002, 10:21 PM
I suppose this thread could still be salvaged... When you design a rocket, weight and amount of thrust are not the only two factors. You may have enough thrust, but the rocket could still be unstable.

Generally, to ensure rocket stability, the center of gravity must be above the center of pressure. When I say "above", I mean closer to the nosecone, since that is the direction the rocket will be firing, right? I'm sure there are other factors to consider, but these are the big ones that Amateurs/Model Rocket Enthusiasts consider. Now, some definitions:

Center of Gravity- This is the point where the rocket's weight is balanced. If this is not clear, try picking up a pencil and balancing it on one finger. The point at which it balances without tipping is the center of gravity.

Center of Pressure- As a model rocket flies through the air, aerodynamic forces act on all parts of the rocket. In the same way that the weight of all the rocket components acts through the center of gravity (cg), the aerodynamic forces act through a single point called the center of pressure (cp). (definition taken from <a href="http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/rktcp.html" target="_blank">http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/rktcp.html</a> ).

It is possible to move the Center of Pressure up and down the rocket to ensure stability. This is achieved by increasing the area of the tailfins...i.e.: making the tailfins bigger.

All very basic information, but necessary if you want your rockets to have any hope of flying.

EDIT- In the United States, any guidance system on a rocket is illegal. Any rockets that fly over 1,000 feet require permission from the FAA to launch. Rockets that carry payloads that contain explosives, harmful chemicals, live animals (with the exception of insects), are also illegal. If you buy a C-class Estes engine, they come with a little pamphlet that talks about rocketry. It covers anything that is illegal.

<small>[ June 28, 2002, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: MrSamosa ]</small>

pyromaniac_guy
June 28th, 2002, 11:35 PM
why do you say guided model rockets are illegal? I looked in 14 CFR - CHAPTER I - PART 101 and a few other places and found no such refrence. Granted a 'model' (ie unregulated for the purposes of this post) rocket is going to have a very short burn time engine, making it rather impracticle to guide, but thats obviously not a legal issue...

MrSamosa
June 29th, 2002, 12:10 AM
I had heard somewhere that guidance systems in rockets were illegal. But that was just word-of-mouth. I will trust you, pyromaniac- they aren't illegal.

kingspaz
June 29th, 2002, 01:04 PM
shit, forgot to close the topic last night....good info MySamosa.