View Full Version : .22 Rimfire "Different" Ammo?

lucky13
March 20th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Say I've seen a tiny device to fire .22 rimfire, but due to the country's laws, they are almost impossible to come by. Blank cartridges on the other hand are available by the case.

I've seen the tear and pepper gas cartridges you can buy from certain places, which are really just blanks filled with an irritant. There are also the ones filled with flash powder that serve to create a brilliant white flash.

My question is, apart from these and the obvious way of using a blank to propel a lead bullet, are there any other special loads that would serve to be a last ditch device?

ChippedHammer
March 20th, 2008, 10:03 PM
In a .22 probably not :)

Mr Science
March 21st, 2008, 02:27 AM
The closest to 'exotic' ammo I have seen is .22LR tracer. Even if this was to be homemade, just realize the size you are working with. As ChippedHammer briefly mentions, such exotic ammunition selections are found in larger calibers, esp 12 GA.

lucas
March 21st, 2008, 02:50 AM
Blanks would normally contain little or no powder and can work purely on the primer's power. I'd use a small amount of the fastest powder you can make or buy to boost the performance of the blank. The powder used in .22 cartridges is very fine, fast powder so try to match it, only 100 - 200 mg is needed.

Shooting .22 air rifle pellets out a .22 rim-fire barrel works. I have shot them using normal .22lr cartridges with the bullet removed. I inserted the pellet, then the case of powder and fired as normal. They work. Buying the heaviest pellets would be best to get at least a little bit of penetration on impact. At 20 or so grains they are still half the weight of a normal .22 bullet at 40 grains.

ChippedHammer
March 21st, 2008, 03:48 AM
Most exotic .22LR round I have seen was one that was completely silent and worked off a special primer compound (no powder). Aside from those and rat shot there is not much else.

Its just too small to use anything else but bullets.

Mr Science - Can you read post edits or did you see my post before I edited it?

Gunjack
March 25th, 2008, 04:10 PM
The most exotic .22LR round I've seen was a .22LR shotshell.

a3990918
March 25th, 2008, 04:19 PM
The most exotic .22LR round I've seen was a .22LR shotshell.

I have a tube of "caseless" .22cal Ammo.

lucky13
March 25th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the replies, although I'm specifically looking for ammo that will be easy to find/make in a country that only allows blanks of this caliber.

I'm aware of using a blank behind a .22 bullet and this is most definitely possible here.

What is the "caseless" ammo? I've seen charges and bullets wrapped in thick paper before, but I would have thought that it would be very difficult with .22LR due to the rim?

Gunjack
March 25th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Is the caseless tube a .22LR round?
I don't think so...

lucky13
March 25th, 2008, 05:56 PM
That's what I thought. I've seen caseless rounds, but I would have thought that even if you could make them in .22LR, the rim would be extremly fragile to say the least.

a3990918
March 25th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Is the caseless tube a .22LR round?
I don't think so...

??? I said "I have a tube of "caseless" .22cal Ammo.", not I have a "caseless" tube. Please make sure to read the post correctly before trying to correct someone.

but I would have thought that even if you could make them in .22LR, the rim would be extremly fragile to say the least.

What rim? These are basically a .22LR bullet with a tapered, powder filled, paper body. Looks kind-a-sorta like a minature short, stumpy .54 Burnside round . I was told back in 1977 that these were an experimental ammo being developed by Daisy (yes, of BB gun fame).

I only mentioned these rounds in response to the comment on Exotic .22lr ammo, was not trying to insinuate that they would be appropriate for your needs or that the round was a .22LR round.