View Full Version : Long Range Rifle shooting: Sniper shooting

billo
March 23rd, 2008, 02:42 AM
To learn Long range shooting the stuff available in reading order is
1) FM 23-10 Sniper training Field manual.
after digesting it completely move ahead to
2) Maj John L. Plaster Ultimate Sniper movie (2CD)
then read the book
3) by Maj John L. Plaster Ultimate Sniper
then see
4) the DVD Advanced Ultimate Sniper.
then at last comes the final book.
5) the Complete .50 Caliber course: Hard Target Interdiction by Dean Michealis. (in fact I don't have it, if there is someone who can give me a copy of it, I would be very grateful)

one more reading that is important is
6) shooting at 1000 yards
I don't think that any one would need to learn more in normal circumstances than what is in these six pieces unless he is a (Marine Sniper or Al-Qaeda Sniper) wanting to shoot the moon down. ;)

There are three sites that my be of great help too and it is preferable to visit them.
1) www.sniperworld.com (http://www.sniperworld.com) (all sniper related sites and information)
2) www.snipercentral.com (http://www.snipercentral.com)
3) www.snipercountry.com

LibertyOrDeath
June 4th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Those are good recommendations. To them I'd like to add:

The Military and Police Sniper by Mike Lau
-- This book is roughly the size of Plaster's The Ultimate Sniper but doesn't overlap completely in content. It has some annoying grammatical and spelling mistakes (i.e., replacing its with it's) but is otherwise a fine book.

Illustrated Manual of Sniper Skills by Mark Spicer
-- This is a much smaller book than the others mentioned, but it has some very unique content, such as how to disable tank optics and naval ships with rifle fire!

I'll try to scan/FTP these at some point, but I'm so damn busy nowadays that I barely even have time to visit this board anymore. :( That will change sooner or later, though.

Charles Owlen Picket
June 5th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I enjoyed fair to mid-range stuff for some many moons now with NATO and win-mag calibers as we have our own 1000m range to play with on a neighbor's property and the BEST stuff I could find on port long range target material was the Camp Perry guides published back in the 1960's -early 70's. If anyone has any of those that are in scan-able condition; they won't be disappointed. but they usually came on pulp paper and had a different subject each issue (like wind doping or temperature behaviour). You could also get them a long time back from the DCM outlet in your community if you had an NRA/DCM fund raiser or sell off.

We know there is a BIG difference between a (military) sniper, a (law enforcement) marksman, and a hobbyist & many of us are just too old to lay on an anthill for 36 hours while shitting and urinating on ourselves just to get that single shot: I know I am... but I love to see the limits of a weapon's design and Camp Perry shoots were the class act of the days before too many nut-balls in camo made life miserable for the sportsman.

billo
June 8th, 2008, 07:50 AM
There are a lot of books that are badly needed by this community, especially by those who cannot get hold of them even through amazon due to restrictions for use of Credit cards and postage department problems.
There are many ways to disable the warfare machines. for e.g. shooting the IVS and radar capabilities of choppers doing recon this will considerably slow the offensive attack. There are a lot of spots that can be used to destroy the larger weapons.
In Afghanistan it was reported that a big bunch of people shot down one cruise missle with Ak-47 fire, though i seriously doubt that it is ever possible but it prooves one thing. weapons are still made up of metal and plastics. So Hard target interdiction is what a member <<LibertyorDeath>> is pointing towards.
The book about 50 cal hard target interdiction is all about it.
The sniper shooting being practised by U.S military and the Canadian forces is at its best; purely because of the technological advanced materials available at all time.
Some nice things have comeup such as the scopes from horus vision for e.g. H25 reticle scopes H 37 Reticles which simply make the mildot (military dot for most of the people) and MOA (Military Optical Accessory)become almost redundant. I got these definitions from a site which was posting the jokes from field traning.
All the books have been written so long back that they are almost redundant when compared to what the new things are coming up, as these scopes make the normal reticular shooting from 1500 yards cross over to 2500 yards and that too without touching the knobs. THAT is technological break very well thought about.
Isn't there any one who could scan and post these two books on The Forum???

1) shooting at 1000 yards BY Dave Brennan.
2) the Complete .50 Calber course: Hard Target Interdiction by Dean Michealis.

Joxer
June 15th, 2008, 11:10 AM
One thing that I have not seen in manuals (not that I have read them all) is using tires as a suppressor.

Line up 7 or so tires. Shooting thru the tires "baffles" greatly reduces muzzle blast. It does come in handy at a personal shooting range, and it gives possibilities when sniping from indoors.

If you forget to wear ear protection, you will regret it, that I promise you.

Hitech_Hillbilly
June 24th, 2008, 12:58 PM
This may seem sort of redundant and common sense, but it really deserves stating. The most important part in being able to shoot consistently accurate, is practice. You need to pick your rifle that you are going to shoot with, and shoot so much it seems like you have an obsession. And when you aren't actually shooting, you are holding your rifle and pretending to shoot (by getting into your proper positions). You need to shoot between 3000 and 8000 rounds properly to be able to do it without consciously thinking about it (muscle memory or coordinative training, which ever term you prefer), so practice, practice, practice.

Winter Wolf
June 29th, 2008, 01:48 AM
One thing that I have not seen in manuals (not that I have read them all) is using tires as a suppressor.

Line up 7 or so tires. Shooting thru the tires "baffles" greatly reduces muzzle blast. It does come in handy at a personal shooting range

Using tires as baffles will help reduce the noise to a socially acceptable level if you make the tire suppressor correctly, and if you use it correctly. The further the barrel of the weapon inside the tire tunnel the better suppressive effect you will achieve. Also the suppressive effect will be greatest on the sides of the tire construction rather than the direction the projectile will be moving.

Another factor to consider is that all supersonic rounds will make the distinctive crack sound of the sonic boom as the projectile passes through the atmosphere. There is nothing you can do about that so long as you are firing supersonic rounds. The main thing to keep in mind regarding the sonic boom is that the sound will follow the projectile throughout the length of its path therefore the shorter the distance the projectile travels the less noise it will generate.

The tire suppressor can be handy on a personal range in a semi-rural area to keep the neighbors happy, but as far as a tactical application I'm afraid it would be too unwieldy. In order to engage multiple targets from different directions you would have to be able to move the suppressor in line from target to target. It would just not be practical as a tactical device.