View Full Version : Yo-yo

Harry
July 12th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Let me share my own IW: the Yo-yo.

I was working a shortie contract in Murderapolis, got off work about 11:30P. Had to walk 6 blocks to my car. Sure, I carried a Spyderco Endura, but I don't feel like getting that close to a germ. I had been practicing on breaks (at age 26, I had my first real yo-yo) with my Duncan Butterfly (that sucker can HURT with those 2 sharp rims!) I just walked to the car flipping a high-velocity, tethered weight around. I know, I know, a yo-yo is not the weapon of choice, but use wha'cha got, right? Let's see, a Duncan Butterfly: 1/4 lb. of hard plastic with narrow edges, a 3 foot string, capability for tricks, and _what_cop_is_gonna_accuse_you_of_carrying_an_assau lt_yo-yo_? Most models are like flipping a baseball around, but the butterfly has thos sharp rims for better impact.

Be safe!

Harry

PS: I know I don't have many posts to my name, but at least I'm not asking a question ;-P

Madog555
July 12th, 2002, 01:48 PM
originialy, in ancient times the yo-yo was a weapon

Eliteforum
July 12th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Harry wtf? I can't make out a word of what your babbling on about! Can someone clear this up?

mongo blongo
July 12th, 2002, 04:36 PM
Madog555- That's correct! I can't remember who used it. Was it the Vikings?
Harry- I can't make out much of it either.
What's_all_of_this_under_scrolling?

<small>[ July 12, 2002, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: mongo blongo ]</small>

Tyler_Durden
July 12th, 2002, 06:03 PM
_this_means_there_is_emphasis_on_that_part_

...and i can understand him fine... oh well.

I think I recall the yo-yo being an ancient weapon. I am thinking it was of eastern decent...

As far as *improving* the yo-yo's attack capabilities, there is little that you can do, because if there is something sharp or pointy, it still has to come back. :D

You could weight it, but thats about it. If its really easy to tell by looking at it that weights have been stuffed in it, you can easily say its so that you can do tricks better.

I am a former yo-yo-ist(?) myself, there is a lot of nifty stuff you can do... unfortunately, none of the advanced tricks help much in the way of combat. =/

kingspaz
July 12th, 2002, 07:09 PM
'In the Philippines, the yo-yo was a weapon for over 400 hundred years. Their version was large with sharp edges and studs and attached to thick twenty-foot ropes for flinging at enemies or prey'

<a href="http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa120297.htm" target="_blank">http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa120297.htm</a>

rikkitikkitavi
July 12th, 2002, 07:36 PM
i can assure that the yo-yo was not a prefered weapon of the vikings...(my great_great_great_great_great_great_etc_granddaddy was one)
they where more into heavy battle axes, archery, swords and other more "manly" weapons. simply not their style :D However the principle of the yo-yo was known by the vikings, as a toy.

however , I wouldnt be surprised if the yo-yo has been used as close-up combat weapon, especially for destraction, like the ninja´s trowing star.

/rickard

Zero
July 12th, 2002, 09:10 PM
Sure you can use a yo-yo for a weapon. Everyone saw Ninja Turtles 2, didn't they?

~Zero the Inestimable

Tyler_Durden
July 13th, 2002, 01:27 AM
the philipino version isnt any good for our purposes. the point of carrying a yo-yo as a weapon is not to have a great, effective weapon, but something that doesnt 'appear' to be a weapon.

if nothing else, a forward shot w/ the yo-yo would at least make someone flinch for a second until to give you a head start running away.

E7
July 13th, 2002, 04:16 AM
not to mention you could swing it above your head once and pop them on the side of the head. this might give them a hinmt of whats comeing, but as pointed out in the self defence thread, if someone comes up to you with intent to mug you , pulling out a weighted yo-yo and swinging it above your head would not only confuse the shit out of them, but might make them reconsider you as a target