View Full Version : Warfare Super-Torrent

SuperScience
April 18th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Fellow RogueScience Members,
Here is my first really-big torrent contribution. 85 GB of files on Warfare.
Unfortunately I do not have a high-speed connection. However, a friend of mine has graciously allowed me to start the torrent with his connection. I'm depending on the rest of you to keep it going. Please download only if you are willing to seed.

Here are three download links for the torrent:
http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/4e3d819344_1.85MB
http://www.filefactory.com/file/5dc813/
http://www.filecrunch.com/fileDownload.php?sub=0979ab551baea702254ce0e194c49 831&fileId=139903

If everyone seeds this torrent and keeps it going I may release a few more torrents. This is about half of my total collection for Warfare files, and I have as much more on Science and other topics. Please seed!

megalomania
April 18th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Jeez! That collection is rather large, too large I think. Most people will not be able to download all that content, if they can open the torrent at all.

While I appreciate the effort, the description and organization of these files could stand to be considerably improved. Such a large torrent is unlikely to attract many downloaders, and most of those will only take what they want ala cart. There is a torrent release for Rogue Science in the works that comprises most of these files, but organized into appropriate categories, compressed, and released as discrete packages.

I recognize much of this content as material already on the FTP. I don't suppose some kind soul will sift through these files to find that which is not on the FTP and upload it?

SuperScience
April 20th, 2008, 12:01 AM
As of last night, when I left my friend's house, nobody was downloading the torrent so I paused it (I can resume by remote access if needed).

Maybe I should just upload it to the FTP. That way it only has to transfered once and the admin can run a duplicate detector to remove anything already hosted there.

minder2
April 20th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Hi Mr. Science, I downloaded the torrent but when I tried to open it the message said it was an invalid file.
Do you have a list of your collection?
It is already on the FTP?
M2

megalomania
April 20th, 2008, 06:17 AM
minder2, you can open the torrent file with a text editor to see all of the files and the directory structure.

Tom Sawyer
April 20th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I just went through the complete file list using utorrent - it opens a window with all files before you start the torrent so you can pick and choose which ones you'd like.

I was unable to copy the listing from the window though, so people will need to do it for themselves.

Quite a good collection SuperScience. It is almost THE definitive compilation for the revolutionary or survivalist.

Mr Science
April 21st, 2008, 02:40 AM
I would say 80-90% of the material is already on the FTP after looking around. I am grateful you are doing this, but just to let you know, there are a few duplicates on this torrent, and I think you could delete any of that bombshock/anarchist crap. (Remember the forum you are sharing this with :))

megalomania
April 21st, 2008, 10:54 AM
I tried to open this torrent like a text file the other day and I was surprised to find the contents are scrambled. I have been able to open other torrents and retrieve the directory/file structure in this way. Indeed the file structure cannot be copied from the torrent app window.

I figured a direct file name comparison could weed out a significant portion of the duplicate content. Is there some other torrent program than can display the directory structure, or can someone paste this as a text file?

SuperScience
April 21st, 2008, 06:52 PM
Sorry that I didn't post a directory listing, I didn't have the utilities on my friend's computer. However, I'm back home now, so I ran my directory listing utility and here is the resulting text file:
http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/ef69ad18a8_2.37MB

I also wrote a custom PHP script which recursively scanned a copy of the Warfare directory and truncated each file to 0 bytes. In other words, you can extract this zip file and browse my folder just like you have already downloaded my entire Warfare folder, you just won't be able to actually open the files.
http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/a5bcc88258_3.75MB

There are several differences between the these directory scans and the actual torrent file because I've added around 10 GB to my collection in the last few days. But the main differences are (1) several videos in the close combat folder, and (2) ISO files were omitted from the torrent. My entire warfare collection is actually just over 170 GB right now and I'm constantly adding information and reorganizing the files. My only problem is that I'm on a dialup connection at home so most of my downloading has to be done elsewhere.

As far as duplicates are concerned, I did a complete scan just prior to releasing the torrent so there are no exact duplicates. When I have multiple scans of a particular book (non-identical copies) I keep both files but name them the same so they show up together in the directory.