View Full Version : Hypothetically how can someone with limited tools make ammunition from scratch?

No-one
April 19th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I am 17 (I remembered by age for once :) ) and based in England where gun are pretty much illegal without crap loads of licensing and I have no intention breaking the law. At this moment in time knowledge is not illegal and I have always been curious in such matters.

Now I have a mini-lathe with reasonably adequate tools and moderate skill. I have some experience in casting and making green sand molds and plaster and good knowledge on pyrotechnics as I have many friends in the business. As well I am studying Maths, chemistry, Physics and D&T with a B grade predicted.

Setting the standard I am going to ask how to make .45ACP rounds but really it just the process I am interested in rather than any particular type but if we say suitable for the 1911 it probably gives people an idea of what I mean.

What I want to know is with the knowledge and resources available to me would it be possible to make said items and also how it would be done quickly and cheaply. I want to know how to make the lot case, primer, bullet and propellant so all information is good

I would like to emphasize this now I have no intention of making said rounds as I have seen what can happen when messing around with just cardboard tubes and pyrotechnic powders and subbing the card for metal sort of puts me off...

But any info regarding the subject would be much appreciated.

I had an idea for bullet molds. Since you are pouring only low MP metals ie lead could you not use plaster of parris as a mold. Forming such molds would be easy and cheap and hard wearing. Simply turning a bullet on lathe would act as the mold for the mold and then you put aluminum plate 1/2 of the diameter of your bullet with a hole cut out in the profile of the bullet and the pour plaster parris on. and then add a release agent like Vaseline as you make up the other side removing the ali plate and sprues (dowel rod) and pour plaster on the other side then side and then before prying apart drill locating holes.
Molds would need fully drying in an oven before use each time but would be also then pre-heated.
Plaster of parris gives a smooth finish and dries quickly so is a good choice give me feedback please on thoughts.

megalomania
April 20th, 2008, 06:46 AM
The English do love to disarm their people, that didn't end so well 231 years ago over here.

First of all you will learn nothing of use from the math, chemistry, and physics they teach in school, particularly at the high school level (or whatever they call it in the UK). The information you seek is definitely not on any curriculum.

Your first bet would be to obtain expended shells and try to make them into bullets again. Reloaded bullets can be dangerous, but you are talking about a suituation with no alternative.

The primer and propellant is probably the easiest to make. With the right machine tools the casings could be manufactured. You won't learn any machining skills from math and physics either...

I believe the French resistance made their own ammo during WWII. They hid away machining equipment in basements. Bullet cartridges have been around for nearly 150 years, if they could make them then, they can surely be made now.

No-one
April 20th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I would kindly like to thank you for your input. I could not agree more with you on the disarming point as gun crime has actually increased since new laws have been introduced. I am however like I say not interested (at this moment) at producing said ammo but rather the process in which I would go about it from scratch should I need to.
I went to my friends house (a licensed Pyrotechnic) where I produced various primers and propellants with commonly available materials from the Homemade ammo book (found on the FTP) so this part I have down. What I would like to know with the idea of hopefully compiling a book (with intention to place it on the FTP) in order to aid others in how to make the other parts such as cases and jacketed bullets with out having to buy specialized equipment (if this means fabricated tools this is fine) and then how to assemble with the idea of using commonly available scrap. For me this would preferably be aluminum and copper nut I do have some brass and lead also available too.
When it comes to machining I have made most of the parts required in quite a few of Bill Holmes books although never done final assembly before destroying the parts and when it comes to casting I am no noob as I have made several of the castings required for a gingery lathe for a friend. Needless to say my actual skills on a lathe could be much desired but I Intend to improve these over the up and coming summer with work experience and a metal engineers shop (a similar technique I used to learn to code.)

I look forward to any suggestion and am keen t become a contributing member of this community,
No-one

Charles Owlen Picket
April 20th, 2008, 10:34 AM
In the USA the re-loading of ammo or the hand-loading of specific designs of ammo is close to an art with the proliferation of very well designed machines for the production of same. The components are sold and the product is actually factory competitive.

I agree with Mega and would add that with this proliferation it may be VERY possible to get some of the useful items with little or no notice to your island nation.
Your Nannys are looking for completed materials. What's more they many not know what an item actually does. There are sources for tools that a customs inspector might be baffled by.

Obtain a quality book on hand-loading ammo written in America and study it. It will give you the leg up you'd need to compile the hard to find materials that you could not make. What's more those books often have sources in which you could use to further your little factory. There are many pulp magazines with which sales of components (to anywhere) would be easily accomplished (Gun List, ShotGun News).

No-one
April 20th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I could not agree with megalomania more on our ridiculously tight weapon laws especially since firearm related crime has seen a rise in recent years due to cheap illegal imports from Poland. However, I am not (at the moment) trying to manufacture said round but more interested in the general process from scratch with ease without having to buy specialized equipment (fabricating such is not a problem).

I have had actually now had experience of mixing primer and propellants due to a fully licensed pyrotechnic mate of mine from common ingredients... (Would chemicals be better?? after all we are not making a cake here) based on the homemade ammo guide on the FTP and various other explosive recipes known between us (the licensing was too expensive for me (as I would need better insurance too) so I basically abuse hers ;) ). So this area I have down.

What I am looking to do is to write a e-book for the FTP in order for people like me to maybe have some fun without drawing too much attention to ourselves or spending a fortune on setup costs... (or my personal reasons are that should I need it I know how to make it quickly and with ease.)

One expensive option is buying inert ammo and going from there... but large quantities are hard to get and very expensive.

I have had considerable experience in casting making most of the parts for the gingery lathe for a friend (I have a mini-lathe which suits me fine (at the moment)) and also experience in making the parts for various bill holmes books (but have never assembled the parts before destroying them) and replacing them with castings rather than weldings where possible.

My lathe skills are much yet to be desired and I have not finished my CNC router nor is this an Item commonly available to people yet my lathe skills hopefully will increase when do some work experience at a local metal engineer shop over the summer which was the way I learned C coding...

I would prefer methods involving aluminum or copper as I seem to have an abundance of the stuff and is easy for people in the UK (and probably other places) to get hold off... but brass and lead our not out of the question...

I hope this gives enough information and I look forward to hearing from you and in the not to distant future hopefully contributing to the forum rather just sharing your knowledge,

Kind regards,

No-one

mike-hunt
April 20th, 2008, 09:25 PM
If you already haven't done so the following E-Books are worth looking at I cant give the download addresses as I got them both in bulk downloads.

Homemade guns and homemade ammo Ronald B Brown (info on propellants and primers)

Philip Luty Expedient home made ammo (Homemade tools and shells and alternative priming methods.)

A video is available on reloading at the pirate bay that may also be helpful.

http://thepiratebay.org/tor/4070876/Competition_Reloading_with_Brian_Enos

Good luck

No-one
April 21st, 2008, 08:13 AM
Thanks and will do...
does anyone know if producing the components for a round is illegal as long as I do not assemble them... This I think will be the only way for me to get photos of the process and then see if I can find someone to test them for me... (I have a maths teacher with .22 rifle in his loft so maybe he may be able to give them a spin (no punn intended ) :) ).
I hank you for your help as I disappear for a few days reading and watching the material...
On a side note does anyone know any good videos/guides for building a 1911 from scratch (read as not buying any components).
I am hoping to get a milling machine soon of a friend who is clearing out his old workshop (unsure of specs/details) and was wanting to have a go at creating some components for it even if (very reluctantly) I have to destroy it...
There are a lot of raids where I live for not really guns but bombs as I live close to the place where the London bombers came from so everything has to be done on tippy toes as no doubt they are looking for anyone suspicious. Maybe (if someone lives in the uk with suitable licensing) ship the parts i make to someone who could assemble it and test it out for me.. (The other option may be to construct a suppressor but that would be getting into dodginess beyond extreme then if I get caught... or not test it all which is probably what I will do and just destroy the parts...).
I know i am probably getting ahead of myself as I have virtually no experience with a milling machine and I guessing considerable skill would be required for said project but again any help on these points would be fab.
Cheers,
No-one

megalomania
April 21st, 2008, 12:08 PM
What is legal depends on you location. They arrested that boy in England last year just for possessing a book, so I would be wary if I were you. I would not think having a bullet casing without propellant would be a crime, but neither would I think a boy with a book is a criminal.

No-one
April 21st, 2008, 02:47 PM
Hi, I know the story you on about... What you kind of left out was the fact of the potassium nitrate and calcium chloride with various links to terrorist organizations and video of beheading's and trips to Pakistan...

Of this how much is fabricated evidence (which does happen) I don't know but living close to Ravensthorpe, I have not known of past raids and most likely he was a serious terror threat...

I myself can still easily buy all required things to make blasting caps and plastic explosive and not raise any suspicion and seriously doubt I would get arrested for having cases consindering the amount of inert ammo lying around...

I myself (like I am sure many of you do) have a copy of the anarchist cookbook (the book in question) but a car can be used for a car bombing (an instrument of terror) but until that point it it is just a car. I guess it was the accumulation of all the other stuff with probably led to his subsequent arrest. That being said the anarchist cookbook is quite outdated with little on detonating the acclaimed recipe he was making "How to Make a Plastic Explosive" which I believe is the 3rd or 4th article in (been about 4 years since I looked at that last ;-) )...

I am still having difficulty on finding information on manufacturing cases but I may try reverse engineer some inert ammo to cast some cases out of aluminum using the reverse engineered round as a mold to make some plaster of Paris molds.... any info on cases full stop (how they are made in industry (video and good illustrated articles)) would be of great help.

Also if anyone has any info on jacketed rounds would be kindly appreciated...

Also where could I look at getting resizers and presses from... not critical as thanks to mike-hunt (nice name btw I teased with idea of Issac-hunt) suggestions of books but they look a bit slow and would like to see if I can improvise a design which would slightly faster but easy to still make.

Cheers once again you have all been a great help,

No-one

Charles Owlen Picket
April 22nd, 2008, 11:18 AM
I try to keep up with world news & I think that the concept of firearms coming from Poland, fascinating. I would have thought that (the old) Yugoslavia would have been a favoured place but that's a moot point. If you could get expended casings, I think the rest is a cake-walk.

With expended casing you have the hardest things to make available: the casing itself & the primer cup. Even if it's a Berdan primer design you could still make them function. You have two basic primer designs: Boxer & Berdan. The Boxer primer uses a self contained unit with it's own anvil to initiate the round. The Berdan unit works with the casing to provide the anvil/flash hole as a unit. What is needed is a method to rid the used primer of the burnt material. Any simple technique would suffice.

Re-filling the primer with a chlorate composition would work as flash is the goal not detonation per se'. The chore would be how to deal with the dented primer cup. If all you had to work with was a bear minimum of reloading materials it would be a challenge but it could be done. Giving enough time the primer could be reshaped. We are actually talking about a half hour's worth of effort to manufacture one round; but with pyrotechnic materials and some form of propellant, you would achieve success. In fact if you were to examine used primers that are pulled from expended rounds by a "de-priming tool" you'd see that the dent had been reversed. The anvil would have to be replaced after reloading the primer with composition to insure impact against the chlorate + whatever primer composition.

However, if you had absolutely nothing to work with then the idea would be to make the casing & primer in one. Very small-scale lathe work on this level is common place. You simply form a case with a thickened web area and a completed face that has no primer hole but rather a very thin surface in which the firing pin would dent the metal, impacting sensitive chlorate-composition. Such a thing would be a casing former of varying widths of metal to allow for firing pin impact to the bottom of the case wherein a primer base composition would be placed.

This whole topic is very opinionated but I believe that expended cases would make the effort to complete the rounds quite easy, compared to working from scratch. Does no source exist for expended rounds? Since literally billions of rounds have been manufactured in the world and the world is getting to be such a small place; there must be some source for even expended rounds....Or are we dealing with the hypothetical issue of nothing being available what so ever?

neetje
April 22nd, 2008, 03:35 PM
It's not so strange that most firearms in the UK come from Poland. It's not so hard anymore to cross the border into Germany since Poland joined the EU. They also have reasonably simple gun laws. Most of the former Soviet states enforce strict gun laws, because it was usual in the Soviet Union. Poland is an exception to this.

iHME
April 23rd, 2008, 03:16 PM
I might find my self planing trip to Poland in the future :P Jokes aside on the black market guns are very easy to find in the east-europe. A friend of mine was on a trip in Budabest, on a local market he traveled deeper inside, and surprise surprise! There were loads of guns for sale on the back. It's probably more about where to look and in Poland you don't need to look far perhaps this is why the most of guns come from there.

Jacks Complete
April 23rd, 2008, 08:44 PM
Ok, UK law time again.

Reloading presses and dies are legal; empty or primed cases are legal; primers are legal, but you need a license to buy them; bullet heads are legal, unless they are expanding (varmint or hollow point) types; powder is legal if it is nitro or pyrodex, illegal if it is BP of any form. Finished ammo is obviously illegal unless you have a certificate covering that specific type of round, and you are not over your holding limit.

Any part of a firearm that contains pressure, except for a moderator, is illegal, with a 5 year mandatory min. Moderators are illegal unless on a license. However, they are freely allowed on air rifles, so you are ok if you keep them clean and for .177 and .22 calibres.

HTH.

MAGNUM9987
April 28th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I would suggest learning how to simply role your own ammo. Their are plenty of books available for it, and any old fashioned gun collector could teach you to roll your own ammo. If you would like i could mail you spent cartridges, though they are winchester .45. I collect shells on the side.

lucas
May 2nd, 2008, 03:31 PM
Lathe turned cases can work for low pressure cartridges like pistol cartridges but they are inferior to proper drawn cartridges. The working processes that form a normal brass cartridge work harden the head area and leave the neck area soft. The head must be hard to avoid deformation and the neck soft to stretch out and seal the cartridge against the chamber. Lathe turned cartridges will likely experience head expansion and weakening. This means possible gas leaking around the primer pocket or other problems like head separation. These problems are much more likely at higher pressures. They would be best used once or twice only, unlike commercial brass, which if used gently can be used dozens of times. Since pistol cartridges are low pressure relative to rifle cartridges, it's likely that a well turned case will be safe and effective over its short lifetime of one or two uses at moderate pressure.

That said, many components for reloading are legal to buy without a licence and all the equipment is likely to be legal in your jurisdiction, meaning lathe turned cases are unnecessary. India prohibits hand loading cartridges, but I don't know of any other countries where hand loading is banned.

Obtaining primers and powder is likely the hardest part of loading.

One primer composition which could be used is a mixture of:
Potassium chlorate, ~ 65%
Sulphur ~ 30%
Shellac~ 5%
Mixed and wetted with methylated spirits, this sticks and is sensitive to percussion.
Reloading old primers is feasible. Popping out the anvil is easy. Flatten the primer strike with a steel rod and mallet. Add a primer compound. Reinsert the anvil. Clean your gun after firing because the chlorate is corrosive. Match heads of the strike anywhere type are well documented to work in reloaded primers.

Lead bullets are easy to cast and most of the equipment is cheap too. Quality isn't easy to achieve, but most people cant shoot a pistol straight anyway. For rifles, only low speed cartridges suit lead projectiles, like 44-40, 32-20 and others originally made for black powder.

MinorFunctionary
May 5th, 2008, 02:03 AM
One should also remember that boxer and berdan primers are not readily interchangable. Boxer primers are most common in the US. Berdan primers are most common in Europe in general and most specifically in the military surplus from Europe and Asia.

Boxer primers are similar to Berdan primers with the major difference being the location of the anvil. In a Boxer primer, the anvil is a separate piece that sits in the primer cup.
Berdans have the anvil built into the case itself.

IF available, 30-06 can be cut down and used for 45-acp brass in a pinch. Tolerances in used cases push very close to the 45 demensions and usuially cycle ok.
The cartridge dimensions are listed on Wikapedia and seem correct at this time.
And yes, lower pressure pistol cases can be turned on a lathe from brass or even Al.

If you have a lathe, mild steel or even cast iron blocks are fairly simple to machine into acceptable bullet molds (moulds) I also have several acceptable molds made from brass.
No good for target but good for plinking (shooting cans) and small game.
Search the web for a few images.

Dont forget that your lead alloy will shrink as it cools.

jamamee
May 5th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Jack Complete will probably be able to give a definitive answer on this but; I'm pretty sure shotguns are pretty easy to get hold of (in the UK) as long as you're 18 and don't have any criminal convictions, for violent crimes anyway. And I mean really easy (compared to trying to get something similar around here) just need to tell some pen pusher you're going clay pigeon shooting or something.

If you really don't want to break the law surely this would be a better option....

Asriel
May 5th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Honestly, making ammo from scratch is probably a bad idea if you value your fingers. Most of the time I've heard about people trying to make ammo from complete scratch it's ended in serious injury and/or the loss of one or more digits. Overall, it's probably better to either do without, or try something else, I believe shotguns aren't particularly harshly regulated over there. If you MUST try and make ammo try and find a workshop, not just in your basement.

Jacks Complete
May 13th, 2008, 05:59 PM
jamamee, I wouldn't say "Easy". However, if you are prepared to put up with the cost of a safe, the home visit(s), giving all your details to the police, getting referees, etc., etc. then yes, get a license.

For making your own bullet heads, lead is indeed easy to cast. Moulds are findable, or you can make them. As a child I made one from a brick that I shattered in half then clamped together (with my feet) and drilled into on the line. This gave me a fairly accurate 17mm hole into which I could pour lead for shotgun slugs (Also illegal in the UK without a firearms certificate, your Shotgun certificate won't cover them!)

I'd not go firing these soft lead heads out of a rifle unless you are desperate, though. Anything high powered will end up spitting a spray of molten lead about 50 feet. Go for soft loads (search this site) if using lead bullets and a rifle.

You can drill the base out of a berdan primed case and fit a shotgun primer into it. Powers a lead slug quite well, and very quietly, without the risk of a silencer.

However, as of last year, they banned primer sales without an FAC, so you will still struggle.

-=HeX=-
May 14th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I would like to share my knowledge of in law in ireland. It is not a subject I am an expert on but I know enough for any irish members to get the gist. Guns are normally considered bad and illegal here but in recent years the law has actually been relaxed.

Hand loading is now legal under your licence, handguns are legal, silencers are legal on certain calibres. to get a gun you in to the gunstore (duffys in galway www.shoot.ie) and ask for the gun. Then you go to the police and ask for the licence for that gun. They review your situation and decide wether you are fit to own the gun. Then you give your licence to mr duffy and he gets your gun for you. I can get a folding stock, pistol grip mini 14 in .22 with no problem and even silence it.

That is the basics of irish gun law. Go to www.shoot.ie for more info.

Jacks Complete
May 14th, 2008, 05:23 PM
-=HeX=-,

Can you confirm whether .22 ammo is freely available over there at the moment?

I know that the Northern Ireland laws are stupidly strict. You have to have an FAC for anything, even sub-12ft-lb air rifles!

-=HeX=-
May 14th, 2008, 06:58 PM
To buy .22 ammo you must jump through a fairly irritating hoop. You must bring your licence to the gunshor, they verify it, then they sell you the ammo. Not too bad but not exactly easy. I have a friend who sells arms and that is how he is supposed to sell the ammo.

Jacks Complete
May 17th, 2008, 11:28 AM
That's a no then... :-(

Roughly the same restrictions as here, though in the UK you have to have a record kept (written on the license), and you can only buy the calibre and type of ammo you are allowed, and you mustn't go over your holding allowance either.

ChippedHammer
May 18th, 2008, 03:20 AM
And I thought it was bad here, all thats required here is that you show your liscense and you can buy as much ammunition as you want for your liscense type (If you have a license that only allows rimfire rifles and shotguns then you cannot buy centerfire munitions and vice versa)

There is nothing stopping you from buying a bullet press, primers, brass, projectiles and powder to make your own ammunition in any caliber you want. Strictly speaking you are supposed to show a liscense when buying primers and powder but its often overlooked.

Jacks Complete
May 18th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Well, the law was tightened last year to stop people buying primers without a license, too.

gabriel728
May 23rd, 2008, 06:45 AM
Hi No-One !

Here is something for you: the complete blueprint of the M1911A1 pistol...including the case!

http://rapidshare.com/files/116973699/1911_complete_blueprints.PDF.html

Anyway, if somebody here has a location in central Europe where I can find some mmmmh you know what, I will be interested.

No-one
July 2nd, 2008, 04:31 PM
Long time i Know but been busy with all kinds of stuff...

I would just like to say that every one has been amazing in the info they have given and legal advice.

Its not so much the fact I can't get holds of stuff for the making of rounds cases included as innert rounds can be bought or either propper munitions supplies.
On top I know of quite a few black market people who offer guns and rounds to loan and buy.
However, like I am sure any free man (especially with this new bullshit extend to 42 day law (dont get me started ;-))) they like to know if the shit hits the fan that they have the ability or access to weapons.
I am also aware that (through various years of doing model rocketry in the UK (where it is easier to get BP for guns than it is for rocket ejection or ignition charges (due to manufacturing a potential weapon(bloody hell what alot of brackets)))) that manufacture of all components are perfectly legal for both weapons and munition in the uk as long as NOT ASSEMBLED.
Anyhow, I have since made plaster of paris bullet molds using very simple turnings to act as a mould for the plaster and poured some rather nice castings from them.. the trick is to bake it in the oven before use.
Anyhow, next casings... ;-)

Does anyone know how these are made in industry? If so is this method easy to reproduce at home with some jiggery pokery??

Okay

Cheers again for all the help :)

You have all been fantastic in your help

P.s As for losing my fingers a couple of years back I cut of my thumb with an axe and as much as we all love to hate the NHS they did an exceptional job of reattacthing it with no loss of functionality and little scarring :).
But also I am a very careful person anyhow and as such would if I were to actually load any rounds take full and propper safety measures rather than having to pick out bits of shrapnell from my palms again. (long story (another time :) ) )

Okay Thanks all again :)

MinorFunctionary
September 11th, 2008, 09:07 PM
No-one
The cases made comercially are mostly drawn brass, some specialty cases are lathe turned, but that is not common.
If you havent already, search the forum for "P. A. Luty". His work might answer your fabrication questions.

Jacks Complete
September 17th, 2008, 06:51 PM
You have to have a license to purchase primers, the law now mandates it be seen by the seller.

As for how the cases are made in the factory, it's a 20+ step process that starts with a stamped brass blank of (for RG brass at least) a 30/70 mix. (The bullet heads are 10/90)

This is pressed/punched a large number of times, and washed between each one, and eventually it is formed into a full case. The neck is then trimmed down to the required length. This is far beyond anything that anyone could do at home, as it requires a large number of steps and a large number of custom made machine tools, even if you've got a large press handy.

You'll do better either lathing a case, or going scavenging. Don't forget you an often "fireform" a case from a smaller size up to the size you want.

Cobalt.45
September 18th, 2008, 03:45 PM
This doesn't apply to the OP's request for scratch building .45 ACP ammo, but if one were to want to start from scratch and build a gun/cartridge, I'd have to suggest they build a black-powder-type revolver.

I say "type", because there's really no reason that smokeless couldn't be used in a metallurgically sound design.

In this build the cylinder would be, in essence, the "case" of the shell; that is, it would contain the powder, bullet, and be ignited w/a BP-type percussion cap. Just as a BP gun is.

In a simplified form, a revolver cylinder need not be rotated and indexed internally. The cylinder could be rotated by hand, with a simple pawl-like arrangement to locate the cylinder in proper timing.

To facilitate rapid reloading, several preloaded cylinders would be needed, and a design that allowed easy removal and replacement. And practice!

If girth wasn't a consideration, there's also no reason that a 8 or 10 round cylinder couldn't be made, giving the gun the capacity approaching some autoloaders. But that would really start to get heavy and concealment goes out the door...

Another design option would be to use an inline cylinder- actually not a cylinder at all, but a side-by-side arrangement. This would be inserted from one side and exit the other, horizontally.

Truth be known, there IS a smokeless powder that can be used in most GOOD BP arms, but I'm not gonna divulge it here, because it could cause some unsafe experimentation.

But, as I said earlier, there's really no good reason that smokeless couldn't be made to work in a "case-less", BP-style design.

iHME
September 19th, 2008, 05:39 PM
The main mechanism that revolves the cylinder in a revolver is damn hard to make, thats why people are not making them at home, unlike 1911's and other auto's.

Making the cylinder line up perfectly is hard for the amateur.
A single shot BP design is very doable, and if muzzleloading also legal to own in every us state IIRC.
I don't live in the us so don't take my word as solid legal advice, ok?

Cobalt.45
September 26th, 2008, 01:30 PM
The main mechanism that revolves the cylinder in a revolver is damn hard to makeI agree. Thus:

"In a simplified form, a revolver cylinder need not be rotated and indexed internally. The cylinder could be rotated by hand, with a simple pawl-like arrangement to locate the cylinder in proper timing."

Perfect alignment would be nice, but isn't a necessity. That's a function of the forcing cone.

The revolver was mentioned in my earlier post as a means of getting around making metallic cartridges.:)

iHME
September 29th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I agree. Thus:

"In a simplified form, a revolver cylinder need not be rotated and indexed internally. The cylinder could be rotated by hand, with a simple pawl-like arrangement to locate the cylinder in proper timing."

Exactly! Apparently I finally have to put my design on paper for other members to see. If I manage to design it correctly it should be doable with only a lathe and basic hand tools. Simplicity is the key as is ease of manufacture.

If/when I draw up some basic prints I'll make a separate thread. (Not to derail this thread)

PYRO500
September 29th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Why not stick with a pepperbox design? a "revolver" with a different barrel for each load, it is supposed to be crude, thus a close in belly gun right? It need not be heavy, nor reloadable, in such a situation where an improvised weapon would be needed, it might be better to dispose of the weapon immediately after its use (a real world spy scenario carried out many times) Most "close encounters" don't involve reloading or great accuracy.

Cobalt.45
September 29th, 2008, 11:52 PM
A pepperbox is a valid design, as you state. Or a ducksfoot. But we're getting more and more OT since my post #30, being that the original concept was to manufacture .45 ACP-like ammo from scratch. And a gun to match the ammo, I'd imagine.

But the OP hasn't posted since July and that was a farewell of sorts, so maybe it doesn't matter too much if we stray?

iHME
October 2nd, 2008, 07:24 PM
Tough this is not exactly what the topic is about, I'd say that is fits here quite well.
Electrically fired .45ACP rounds. Diy style.

http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=101;t=20782;st=0

Jacks Complete
October 4th, 2008, 07:45 AM
If you can use electrics, you are going to have an easier time of it for a simple one-time gun. Also be useful for boobytraps and NBK's telesniper.

If you want to make a revolver index correctly, it's not very hard. Take a cylinder and drill the 6(?) holes for the chambers, and while you do this, add 6 small blind holes. Once the gun is being built, you add a sprung ball bearing detent into the space under the barrel, which simply clicks solidly into those six blind holes. Simple to ensure it all lines up now!

Having the arm to index when you cock the hammer is done using a linked arm. It simply pushes hard to start the rotation, and a little further, which will ensure the relatively heavy cylinder continues to rotate until it locks into place for the next shot. Just don't make the arm too long so it overshoots the cylinder, but you can easily machine little off. I'd probably use two arms, one short to push hard, and a longer lighter one to "kick" the cylinder around far enough.