View Full Version : Help with morphine salts

jmneissa
May 1st, 2008, 11:14 PM
Hey guys, this is my first time posting but I have been reading threads for over two years. I searched throughout the forum and found no threads specifically on this topic so I though have one would be good. This year I am growing a small papaver somniferum known as opium poppy. When it comes time to harvest I would like to convert to morphine I can take for pain if needed. This is why I am posting in the water cooler as it is not really a weapon.

I have searched the net and found a few things of help. One is the book Oxy by Otto Snow that I found here on the forums. It is helpful but a little lacking in specific quantities. Another I have found is a patent number 6054584. I have a few questions though. First, all medical morphine is morphine sulphate in the book it says "It is prepared in the same way as morphine hydrochloride and is crystallized from water in the presence of ammonium sulfite." Where does this fit in with the original recipe? Second in the patent it does not say what form of morphine is being generated e.g. morphine, morphine hydrochloride, morphine sulphate... Does anybody know which one? Thanks for your help guys.

tmp
May 3rd, 2008, 11:40 PM
Given the nature of your post, I would suggest you go to that forum because
it's up their alley and not ours. BTW, your post is not in the Water Cooler.
It's in Biochemistry and Medicine.

jmneissa
May 4th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Yeah I originally posted it in water cooler but the mods moved it here. However, I don't understand what forum you are talking about are talking about this section of Rogue Science or a different website? Thanks

++++++++++++++++

Edit by The_Duke; Go to Wetdreams.ws

spetsnaz08
May 12th, 2008, 06:33 PM
You seen this http://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/opium.html

http://www.wetdreams.ws/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1147

rollie
May 16th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Bearing in mind you should never do this if it isn't legal...

THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO MAKING MORPHINE FROM CPS SOLUTION OR CFO

Firstly, SWIyou MUST be familiar with making CPS solution (basically cleaned poppy pod tea) and/or CFO.

HERE IS THE CFO GUIDE

- EVERYTHING mentioned in this guide will assume that one is starting with 10 grams of material and all calculation will be based on that starting amount, further calculations for different amounts are easily obtained by simple maths. This material can either be the latex (raw opium gum), poppy pods (either fresh or dried) and poppy seed. (One must mention here that SWIM says that although poppy seed can be used for this method, it produces a lower grade of resulting material. The reason it is mentioned here is because some SWIY's only have access to poppy seed.)

NOTE: At no point should ANY boiling or bubbling occur at any time, if it has then one would end up with something that is low grade at best.

STEP 1: For opium gum, cut it up into small match head size pieces - the same goes for fresh poppy heads. For dried poppy heads and / or poppy seed, grind it up into a coarse powder. The reason for this is that extraction takes place easier and quicker because alot of small particles have a larger surface area to extract from than one large particle.
STEP 2: You need a pot containing 10 times the weight / volume (W/V) of water than that of the starting material. Since hypothetically we are starting with 10 grams we will need 1000ml (1 liter) of water. (for 1 gram you would need 100ml, for 3 - 300ml etc etc). Bring this volume of water up to 70 degrees Celsius (158 F).
STEP 3: Add your material to this liquid and let it steep for 2 hours stirring occasionally. One should notice the level of the water on the side of the pot, if this level drops down due to evaporation then water is added from a warm kettle kept on hand during this period. (The reason SWIM has extended the time period is because different densities will extract at different rates, so 2 hours is preferred to allow for this.)
STEP 4: Once the steeping period is over the liquid should have gone an amber / brown color. Take it off the heat and strain it immediately through 4 stacked fine coffee filters. One will notice (for gum and fresh material) that a lot of gray wax-like sludge is left in the filter, this is a latex by-product and is discarded because it contains nothing of use. For dry material and seeds you will have the same wax like substance along with a heap of sludge left over from the ground pods or seeds, this is also now useless and should be discarded. The reason for it being strained immediately is because of heat expansion. Heat will expand all other particles in the liquid but the filter will not let them pass through, this filters almost everything except for the alkaloids and some other water soluble materials.
STEP 5: Once filtered off into another pot allow this liquid to cool to room temperature. This is where one needs to adjust pH level of the liquid. The pH of 7.00 is considered neutral at 25 ℃ (77 F) because at this pH the concentration of H3O+ approximately equals the concentration of OH− in pure water. pH below 7.0 is considered "acidic" and it is an acidic solution one needs to proceed. Adjust the pH of the liquid to 6.5 with citric acid once it has cooled to room temperature using pH test strips available from an aquarium and garden supply stores. The reason for the pH adjustment is that the week acid binds to specific opiates making them more active and in certain circumstances binding to an alkaloid making it into a higher level alkaloid. The pH also dictates how readily available the alkaloids are in the blood, for more information on this Google for pH.
STEP 6: preheat an oven to 50 degrees Celsius (122 F). Put the resulting pH adjusted liquid into shallow glass baking dishes. Place the baking dishes into the oven to allow the water content to be evaporated off. This is a safe way for evaporation to take place because the point at which opiate alkaloids are dispersed and destroyed into vapor is 80 degrees Celsius (176 F). This is also the reason why water extraction should take place at 70 degrees Celsius.
STEP 7: Once the liquid has lost almost all of its water content turn the oven off and open the oven door leaving the baking dishes in there so that the substance in the dishes can loose the rest of its water content naturally. This will usually happen rather rapidly as the oven and surrounding atmosphere cools. It is easy to visually determine when something has lost the majority of its water content, the liquid will appear to look muddy and "stiffer".
STEP 8: Once the material has lost all of its water content one would be left with an amber / brown crystalline substance on the bottom of the baking dishes. This is scraped up carefully (it is very light and can "flick" off into oblivion) with a plastic scraper, SWIM uses an old credit card . The resulting scraped up material is still rather pliable even though it is rather crystalline in appearance and is easily pushed back into a ball. When you do this the color of it gets a little darker again.
RESULT: If one has performed this correctly then one would be left with a substance known as "flake" or the "cooked" form of opium. When it is smoked correctly it should melt and vaporize pretty much the same as H does rather than slightly burn and and sizzle like raw opium. It should leave very little residue when smoked unlike raw opium which turns into a hard little ball once it is expended. This form is also good for eating, dissolving into liquid to drink, making capsules out of, etc etc. . . This is (in SWIM's opinion a little more dangerous because cooked opium is much more potent than poppy pod tea or poppy grounds in equivalent quantity. Smoking is more controlled in his opinion because you can start by smoking a smaller quantity and working your way up.
NOTE: If one were to want this process to go a little quicker one could evaporate off a fair amount of the water before introducing the liquid into the baking trays. If one is to do this the temperature should be kept at or under 70 degrees Celsius to prevent alkaloid loss. SWIM's opinion though is "the slower the evaporation and the lower the temperatures - the better the result".
APPROXIMATES: Water can contain only a certain amount of alkaloids before it reaches what is known as the "saturation point". This is the point at which no more alkaloids will be absorbed into the water because there are no bonding points left in the water to bind to. This usually occurs at around 500mg per 100ml @ 70 degrees Celsius. Once that bonding occurs no opiate molecule loss should occur if the solution is kept under that temperature. This is not to say that the molecules are not still in the solution as the water evaporates, it is merely stating that as the water evaporates the molecules then bond back onto themselves resulting in the cooked form of opium SWIM described. SWIM's tests and experience in equivalences seems to indicate that 1 gram of cooked opium contains around 500mg of opiate alkaloids. Research shows that farmed varieties of Papaver Somniferum contain on average around 10 to 15 percent morphine in that alkaloid content. Using this scale one would deduce that 1 gram of cooked opium would contain on average around 50mg of morphine. Therefor a match head sized piece weighing in at 0.1 grams should contain on average around 5mg of morphine (not including other alkaloids remember). Using the reverse mathematics should tell one the alkaloid content of the starting liquid once cooled and pH adjusted. Happy research and remember, this is all for research purposes only.

Now to the good stuff. . . .

Once SWIyou are familiar with the CFO technique . . SWIyou will probably be left wanting more. In this guide SWIM will show in a basic form how to make simple morphine base and then also show how to make other things from that simple morphine base.

Here is a quick rundown of what will be needed for the simple morphine base.
1] calcium carbonate.
2] CPS solution BEFORE being made into CFO.
3] a digital pH meter.
4] a double boiler.
5] a high grade filter.
6] a glass, plastic or stainless steel "wooden spoon" for stirring.
7] preferably an electric stove top.
8] a thermometer that reads to the right temps.
9] someone to make the coffee cos it takes patience.

Here SWIM will intercede and put a F.A.Q before anySWIOne asks any questions.

1] can anything other than calcium carbonate be used?
Yes but this is the easiest way.
2] can SWIM re-dissolve SWImy CFO to make the morphine base from?
Yes.
3] can pH strips be used instead of the digital meter?
Yes but it is harder and less accurate and likely to produce problems.
4] can SWIM use a normal pot rather than a double boiler?
Yes but it will be easier to burn the morphine.
5] does the filter have to be high grade?
No, but SWIyou will loose yield.
6] why cant SWIM use a normal wooden spoon?
because it absorbs liquid and therefor the precious alkaloid in question.
7] can SWIM use a gas stove?
Yes but keep an eye on the temps.
8] Does SWIM really need a thermometer?
Not unless he wants to come out with something useless.
9] why does SWIM need someone else to make the coffee?
cos it takes time and SWIM cant be f**cked making the coffee. . LOL.

OK now . . .
Take the CPS solution and complete the "hot filtering" part of the procedure.

Ice-o-late and defat with paraffin as per CFO TEK.
Filter everything off well so that SWIyou remain with a precipitate free liquid.

Put this liquid into a double boiler and place the thermometer in the liquid so the temperature can be watched.

Bring the liquid to 70 degrees Celsius and have it remain there.

Mark the liquid level, if it drops add small amounts of hot water to bring it back up.

VERY SLOWLY add calcium carbonate to the solution while keeping the liquid agitated with the "wooden spoon".

SomeSWIM needs to help here as the pH meter needs to be immersed and watched carefully.

Bring the pH of the liquid to 9.1

Quickly take the double boiler off heat and discontinue agitation of the solution.

At this pH the calcium carbonate will cease to be soluble and as the temperature of the liquid drops the calcium carbonate will "fall out" of the solution or "precipitate".

This precipitate will be a brown/beige color and has carried with it the morphine content of the liquid with a VERY slight codeine taint. This is known as calcium morphinate or "raw morphine base".

The liquid is filtered off through a high grade filter and discarded.

The precipitate is kept and dried out into a cake, its size will depend on the volume of CPS liquid used.

One can use an oven at very low temperatures with the door open to facilitate the drying of the morphine base.

VIOLA raw morphine base . . . .

This can now be used to make a heap of different things. It is the traditional starting point for making street Heroin mainly used by S.E.Asian countries and other Heroin producing countries.

jmneissa
May 18th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Thanks for that I really appreciate the searching. I do however have a few questions.

1) The raw morphine extracted will most likely not be pure and will require purification before use what process would you recommend or should I use jut a simple recrystallization process?
2) I can;t figure out what this is meant to come out with (i.e. morhine hydrochloride, morphine, morphine sulfate) as I am looking for morphine sulfate. I can convert this to sulfate using the method in the book Oxy by Otto Snow.

Thanks

rollie
May 22nd, 2008, 12:50 PM
The precipitate will be calcium morphinate. It will most likely be tainted with trace amounts of codeine, however this will be very small. The purity is generally regarded as high enough for conversion to heroin by reaction with acetic anhydride without significant taints of Acetylcodeine, which IIRC is very toxic. I can write up a simple guide for conversion to heroin if you wish?

jmneissa
May 22nd, 2008, 04:49 PM
I thank you for your offer, but I believe I am going to use the process described in Oxy by Otto Snow as the resultant is morphine hydrochloride without any traces of codeine or other impurities. However he is not really specific enough in it as he does not give exact quantities of materials. If any one is familiar with this process I would love to here your recipe and feedback. Thanks