View Full Version : Youtube Account Showcasing Gingery Projects

sbovisjb1
May 18th, 2008, 11:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/alexplace2001

I found this user using a gingery furnace and a home built gingery lathe. This is to show that he was not bullshitting and it can be done quite easily (very) if you just put a weekend into it and stop being an armchair expert and go do it. Soon i will post my pictures of my furnace and lathe and then hopefully the rest of the machine shop.

Genocyde
May 18th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Here's my Gingery furnace, built by my father some 25 years ago.
And here's a not quite yet complete tube bender die I have cast from scrap aluminum.

Well, I can't seem to attach a pic. :confused:

Here's a link to the tube bender thread I posted at Weldingweb.
http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=20127

It shows some furnace pics.

sbovisjb1
May 19th, 2008, 12:28 AM
You don't have to upload it to the site. Use http://bayimg.com/, they have a 100mb limit and are not restricted to only picture extensions. Very interesting read on the tube bender project. Casting is extremely interesting and is up there with knife smithing with me. I'm not that good at welding, but I have friends who are tradesmen in those areas that gladly help me out. Interesting post and I encourage others to show case theirs as well.

mynameismud
May 20th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I have built a Gingery Forge and used it to cast aluminum, brass, copper, zinc, and titanium. It took me about 3 days to build once i had all the materials and it has saved me so much time and money. If you don't own one, i suggest making one!

Jefferson Davis
May 23rd, 2008, 06:41 AM
I have built a Gingery Forge and used it to cast aluminum, brass, copper, zinc, and titanium. It took me about 3 days to build once i had all the materials and it has saved me so much time and money. If you don't own one, i suggest making one!

I was wondering what refractory you are using to handle smelting titanium? Reason I asked is, I built my forge 3 years ago and have progressed to cast iron. But the refractory is falling apart after 4 melt sessions. I use a modified venturi style burner using waste oil.

mynameismud
June 16th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I was wondering what refractory you are using to handle smelting titanium? Reason I asked is, I built my forge 3 years ago and have progressed to cast iron. But the refractory is falling apart after 4 melt sessions. I use a modified venturi style burner using waste oil.

I do not know anything about the refractory other than it is high in tungsten and molybdenum. I acquired it from a friend who is a seventh generation blacksmith and he doesn't know much about it other than it came from a small steel plant his dad's friend worked at.

I should note that i have only used my gingery forge to make titanium sponge from ore. I have to use a vacuum arc furnace (which unfortunately belongs to my oceanography teacher, who happens to also be a jewler.) to refine the sponge into pure titanium metal.