View Full Version : NZ Mans DIY Cruise Missile for under NZ$5000

JekyllandHyde
May 22nd, 2008, 09:45 AM
Here is a website about one mans VEY interesting project - a DIY cruise missile using over-the-counter parts! :D

The design is simmillar to a WWII V-1 Flying Bomb; the designs for the missile were going available to those who subscribe to the site, until the NZ government not shut down the guys project.

http://www.interestingprojects.com/

I apologise if this is the wrong section of the forum...

akinrog
May 22nd, 2008, 11:00 AM
Here is a website about one mans VEY interesting project - a DIY cruise missile using over-the-counter parts! :D
http://www.interestingprojects.com/

Actually a few years ago, we have discussed the project. It's super but back then I was dissappointed since the project stalled containing no info on engine design, etc.

I'm even more disappointed now the project is same since a few years. Regards.

Bugger
May 22nd, 2008, 09:18 PM
I have not heard anything about that "cruise missile" story on the local news here in New Zealand. BTW a $NZ is roughly worth about $US 0.80.

JekyllandHyde
May 23rd, 2008, 06:31 AM
Actually a few years ago, we have discussed the project. It's super but back then I was dissappointed since the project stalled containing no info on engine design, etc.

I'm even more disappointed now the project is same since a few years. Regards.

Bugger... Thats makes this thread redundant then doesn't it? :o

hatal
May 23rd, 2008, 08:59 AM
I have not heard anything about that "cruise missile" story on the local news here in New Zealand. BTW a $NZ is roughly worth about $US 0.80.

Goverment agencies put the squize on him, after he has been receiving offers from middle-eastern-types. Now the whole story is hushed.

file
May 23rd, 2008, 12:06 PM
All I can add in regard to the site to it is that the engine was definitely a pulsejet and most likely similar to some of the more advanced ones on his site. Thus giving at least some of a clue as to engine design.

As to the thing itself, it is very simple in design compared to a lot of things. However something like a large model plane would be able to carry more while not being too much larger. It's a tradeoff, you get better performance from the missile, but better payload from a plane.

Jacks Complete
May 25th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I doubt you would get a better payload from a plane, not at that price break.

The joy of the pulsejet design is that it uses nearly no moving parts, and you can build on in under an hour. In fact, you could build a hundred of them in a day, materials permitting, once you had the jigs and a dozen staff with a good idea of the process. Try that with a plane, and you are stuck for engines after an hour.

Further, the pulsejet uses freely available natural gas (methane) so there can be no real effective restriction on it or indeed, any of the parts...

In fact, nothing he does couldn't be done by any small business in the western world in a few weeks, let alone a small countries military program.

That's the joy of this design. I, like you, could build one tomorrow, work out the kinks and have 20 by next week.

file
June 5th, 2008, 01:34 PM
So you couldn't improve the amount of payload by making larger wings? Larger wings=less wing loading for any given weight=more weight can be carried. Right?

You could use a pulsejet on them as well. The only major drawbacks are that it will be larger and slower because of the increase in said wingspan.

Jacks Complete
June 10th, 2008, 05:08 PM
The issue with increases to the wingspan is that this increases the drag. At subsonic speeds, you need some wings and rudder to allow steering, normally, and to give lift more cheaply than by using a thruster to give lift. If you increase the lift and hence drag too much, your engine won't be able to push hard enough to give a good top speed, and might even stall if it has to gain altitude.

The advantage to increasing the drag is that this may allow the engine to run at a more efficient speed, as well as increasing the lifting ability.

Whether or not you got a range increase would depend on other factors.

What I was meaning above is that a plane design, especially a model plane design, would have a hugely greater number of moving parts, because it is a prop driven machine powered by a cylinder engine. Compare this to the pulsejet engine, with exactly one moving part in the simplest form, or even none in the valveless designs.

file
June 17th, 2008, 03:47 PM
The way I figure it, it's a trade off. Increased performance vs. increased capacity. Some applications would require a larger bomb, others would require something very fast.