View Full Version : Acetylcholinesterase (Disruption and Changing)

sbovisjb1
June 3rd, 2008, 10:41 PM
For the non-scientific or medically inclined members, acetylcholinesterase is...

Acetylcholinesterase: An enzyme that breaks down the neurotransmitter acetylcholine at the synaptic cleft (the space between two nerve cells) so the next nerve impulse can be transmitted across the synaptic gap. Pesticides of the organophosphate and carbamate types act to paralyze and kill insects by inhibiting their acetylcholinesterase. Abbreviated AChE.

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=23279

As you can well imagine changing or disrupting this enzyme is the focus or many nerve grasses. Basically this Ezyme regulates the nerve impulses in your brain. If this is inhibited, a shitstorm is started in your brain (think of a traffic jam or bumper karts) Think of novel ways or ways that this chemical can be inhibited.
Obligatory wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylcholinesterase_inhibitor

I know what I have brought up here may be a little bit advanced for most, but I find this terribly interesting and would like to share it with others. I apologize in advance for any inconsistencies in my explanation or any confusion it will cause. Please don't hesitate to ask me for help. If you find a explanation different to my writing style, it means I got a person who understands the question more than I do reply.

Edit: If you don't understand a point covered, just post a Help! message and I will reply to the best of my abilities.

simply RED
June 6th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Sbovisjb1, do you have, or can you find 3D models of active centers of enzymes and postsynaptic receptors? It would be nice to make some quantum calculations, I already have the ability and the computer hardware to make it.
Only need the models :D .

Not only inhibition and agonystic/antagonystic properties could be calculated, but also succeptability to EM radiation...

Anyway the inhibition of ac.chol could be presented in stages:

enzyme + inhibitor = complex
complex + H2O = (enzyme) = hydrolysis or aging
If the bond O-Inhibitor hydrolises the enzyme is free.
If the inhibitor changes (aging), that it could no more free from the enzyme, the intoxication becomes hard to treat with antidotes (reactivators).

sbovisjb1
June 6th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I will have a look around in the lab. There should (of course there is) be some around.

ciguy007
June 8th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Acetylcholine is a fascinating chemical and probably plays a role in memory, arousal, and muscular coordination in the brain. I attended a fascinating lecture in which a former tobacco employee (PhD neuropharmacologist) was given the mandate to come up with a derivative of nicotine which would have the "ahhhh" dopamine releasing effects of tobacco without the cardiac and cardiovascular adverse effects. He succeeded in his mission but the tobacco companies are holding onto the chemical until the patent expires in 2015 (I think). My personal feeling is that this compound will open some doors into the treatment of Alzheimer's disease. Conversely, central nicotine receptor blockers could really wind up being a "stupid pill" and with come chemical manipulation could cause irreversible effects. Currently, long-term cholinesterase blockers (e.g. "BZ") an agent weaponized by the US in the bad old days would have kind of the same effect.