View Full Version : United Glass Tech discovered rebranding

Controlled Chaos
June 14th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I recently bought a distilling kit off of Ebay from United Glass Tech. I was looking for a good quality distill at a reasonable price and UGT fit the bill. I found a kit on Ebay that suited my needs, but it wasn't exactly what I wanted. I emailed UGT about exchanging a few parts in the kit for my needs and they quickly responded back with the new price. I comfirmed what I wanted and I payed the Paypal bill sent promptly afterwards.

I received the distill kit in the mail very fast, and very well packed. The glassware was of great quality, thick and sturdy. I was very happy with UGT and their product. Everything was great, the price, quality, and customer service. I couldn't be happier with them. However I did find one peculiar thing, this wasn't a product of UGT. Some of the pieces were of Wilmad Labglass. the logo was found meticulously erased from the glass as you can see from the images attached. I was able to read it in a bright light at the right angle. It took about 30 pictures to get a decent shot of the logo. I adjusted the contrast for easier viewing.

I have heard good things about Wilmad Labglass, and I guess I can say good things about their products since thats what I actually own. I am guessing UGT buys in bulk from them in order to sale their glassware at the prices they do. I could not find the logo on all of my pieces, but that doesn't mean that it use to be there somewhere.

Overall I am happy with UGT and will still buy from them and Wilmad Labglass seems to have great products. I would like some input from others about how they feel about United Glass Tech as a company and "their" products, and also about Wilmad Labglass. Does anyone have any price comparisons between the two companies?

tmp
June 15th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I've ordered from both and had nothing but good luck with them. Condensers,
flasks, and beakers - all have which withstood the test of time.

lucas
June 16th, 2008, 08:56 AM
They probably have lots of brands resold. I've always found them a pleasure to deal with.

Jacks Complete
June 16th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Pretty standard practise, especially when working in a field that, shall we say, sometimes finds you get closed down overnight. Having a few companies means that if one has all it's harddrives taken away for analysis, the next weeks orders can be passed to someone who can fulfil them. Also, companies get certain tax breaks, and it is always useful to be able to show the bank you are paying money in and out regularly, so passing a cheque from yourself to another trusted company, then back again, is a great way to look like a sharp businessman.

Or perhaps they just bought some overstock for cheap, on the understanding they wouldn't flog it cheap and dilute someone else's brand name.

Hightimes
June 16th, 2008, 11:30 PM
I bought some glassware from them yesterday, the guy was nice and didn't mind me paying a week later.

++++++
I'm allowing this post so others can see; no more bullshit one-liners saying "me too" or "the same thing happened to me". - totenkov