View Full Version : Comedy legend dies at 71.

Kaydon
June 23rd, 2008, 03:31 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080623/us_nm/carlin_dc

Truly depressing, I loved Carlins comedy and opinions. One of the few comedians I respect.

festergrump
June 23rd, 2008, 05:42 AM
I enjoyed his comedy too, and SOME of his opinions, but not all. He was way too far left for me.

He was witty, though, being able to pull things right off the top of his head and make me crack up. One example was when I saw him appear on the Leno show. After his time was up Jay brought out Ann Coulter as his next guest. Carlin stood up and when he shook her hand he said, "I never thought I would have to move over to the RIGHT when YOU came out!". Beer shot from my nose at that instant! (maybe you just had to see it, though. :)).

It's always a tragedy when someone truly funny dies. So many comedians can hardly make me crack a smile anymore...

I still mourn John Candy, Chris Farley, and Mitch Hedberg. Now GC... :(

Aristocles
June 23rd, 2008, 06:58 PM
Damn...

Festergrump, I completely agree, re: his politics.

Many years ago, too many years ago... I wrote him a 'fan' letter and he replied with a hand written note and a personalized autographed picture. Always admired that...

Charles Owlen Picket
June 24th, 2008, 12:56 PM
There are REASONS why many comedians are greater or lesser to the Left. The idea of jokes/skits inducing laughter lends itself to many agendas that embrace new conceptualizations or poke fun at established ones...

The Right is the established order for the most part; a commercialized established order. It may be friendly, safe, convenient, familiar but it is established order and with that is pathos. It is a great target for comedy and has been since the time of the ancient Greek philosophers.

It makes damn good sense that comedians (although not all) are Leftists. The Framer's of our Constitution MEANT there to be dissenting opinion. They meant for there to be comedians to poke fun at the established order. That is what MAKES freedom. There is a very important place for dissenting opinion. I may not agree with some opinions but it's vital for free men to have them. Imagine what our world would be like with no room for other opinions or ideas opposing the established order of things. That is what people like Alex Jones is dearly afraid of. I my not share his opinion of the "New World Order" crowd but the concept is a frightening one.

REAL freedom is comfortable with opposing points of view. I may not like some people's view on some issues but it's vital that there be room for some other view on things than a single perspective. That is SUPPOSEDLY what we fight and die for.....the right of men to think as they choose. WHOEVER would take that away; Right or Left, is actually the enemy of freedom. It's mature political thought that sees that concept and does not adhere to one shoe being the correct fit for all.....and that is the paradox in which we attempt to make with our Bill of Rights.

IriOfTheSnow
June 25th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Quoted from George Carlin himself:

"It is the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is and cross it deliberately."

I know, in my heart, that his soul is still out there.

Stuck. On a roof.

For the rest of eternity.

Just like a frisbee.

Kaydon
July 1st, 2008, 10:03 PM
The fact is.. he was funny. Funnier than most ever will be, and around longer than any of them. You'll never know who Dane Cook is in a couple years. Carlin is a household name!