View Full Version : Music?

Kaydon
June 29th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I remember seeing a thread on what Forumites listened to a good while ago, but I couldn't find it searching, using a couple different terms.. So, new thread time?

I wonder how many of us have a common ground outside of chemistry/weapons? haha.

List genres or bands...

Some of what I like..

Burzum, Daylight Dies, Deicide, Kreator, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, DevilDriver, Symphony X, 3 Inches of Blood, Pro-Pain, Death Before Dishonor, Terror, Born From Pain, Lacuna Coil, Seamount, Hail of Bullets, Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, Dissonant, Heaven Shall Burn, High On Fire, In Flames, Sworn Enemy, Vehemence, Vader, Judas Priest, Suicide Silence, It Dies Today, Raunchy, Cannibal Corpse, Aeternus, Fates Warning, Dimmu Borgir, Old Man's Child, Cathedral, Bathory, At The Gates, Hate Eternal, All That Remain, Watch Them Die, Infernal Method, Black Sabbath, W.A.S.P., Ion Dissonance, Memory Garden, Lamb Of God, Vital Remains, Fear Factory, Morbid Angel, Dark Tranquillity, Mastodon, Entombed, One Minute Silence, Motorhead, I Shalt Become, Opeth, Dio, Arckanum, Godsmack, God Dethroned

Nickth3great
June 30th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Let me just say that there isn't a single genre of music that hasn't produced at least one song that I liked. Well, actually, if elevator music was a genre then maybe it'd be the one genre that hasn't produced a song I like.

Anyway I mostly listen to classic and alternative rock, some of the bands I like include: AC/DC, Metallica, Blue Oyster Cult, REM, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, 3 Doors Down, Nickleback, Pink Floyd , All American Rejects, Green Day, Nazareth, Foo fighters, Seether, Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Soul Asylum, Rob Zombie, Def Leppard and yeah I also like WASP and Godsmack.

Hirudinea
June 30th, 2008, 09:17 PM
SONS OF BUTCHER RULEZ!!! (Well this was a question about what music you like, right?)

-=HeX=-
June 30th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Hmmm...
Nine inch nails (DOWNWARD SPIRAL ROCKS), Jesu, My Chemical Romance, Job for a cowboy, Slayer, Lamb of god, AC/DC, Nirvana, Ministry (no, not ministry of sound!!!), Metallica, really its rock, grunge and metal.

Happy Hindu
July 1st, 2008, 01:19 AM
Nirvana was the best band ever! And Blink 182 and the Offspring are great, and the Foo Fighters rock as well.

ChippedHammer
July 1st, 2008, 02:40 AM
Slayer, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, All shall perish, Job for a cowboy, Kataklysm, Sabaton, Vader, Amon Armath, Iced Earth, HammerFall, Ozzy Osbourne, Arch Enemy, Fear Factory, High on Fire, Kalmah, Judas Priest, Lamb of God, Pantera, Primal Fear, Therion.

That's whats on my main playlist ATM, most of my favorites are there.

Metallica can go fuck themselves btw.

iHME
July 1st, 2008, 07:41 PM
A quick list in no particular order:

Frontline Assembly, Furi Anga, Seatbelts, Front 242, Laibach, Turmion Kätilöt, ATB, Funker Vogt, Apocalyptica, Eläkelläiset, [:SITD:], Combichrist, Don Davis, KMFDM, Grendel, Tactical Sekt, Peace Orchestra, Ulrich Scnauss, Ohgr, Rotersand, The Crystal Method, The Prodigy, Rage Against The Machine, Sex Pistols.

Thorald
July 3rd, 2008, 04:38 PM
Wow. Compared to some of you guys I have so many favourite bands. But so far I think all of you have a good taste in music as far as I am concerned!

AC/DC, Boston, Amon Amarthm, Darkness, The, David Bowie, Deathstars, Disturbed, Doors, The, Dope, Drowning Pool, Guns 'N Roses, Iron Maiden, Kansas, Killswitch Engage, KMFDM, Korn, Linkin Park, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Marilyn Manson, MDFMK, Metallica, Muse, Moby, Nightwish, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, Stone Sour, Slipknot, Oasis, Pendulum, Rush, Rammstein and The Who.

There are a few more, I'll cut it short.

The_Duke
July 3rd, 2008, 11:18 PM
Chimaira and TOOL are my favourites. Then there is Down, Mudvayne, Slipknot, All That Remains, Bleeding Through, Atreyu, Alice in Chains, Children Of Bodom, Black Sabbath, Avenged Sevenfold, Black Label Society, Nuclear Rabbit, CKY, As I Lay Dying, Blink182, Bury Your Dead, Caliban, Devil Wears Prada, DevilDriver, Dio, Disturbed, Dream Theatre, Haste the Day, HELLYEAH, HIM, Primus, In Flames, Iron maiden, Killswitch Engage(old), Lamb Of God, Led ZeppLin, Megadeth, Hatebreed, Dismata, Metallica(old), MushroomHead, Offspring, I'm running out... Pantera, Perfect Circle, Rage Against The Machine, Rebel Meets Rebel, Red Hot Chili Peppers, to be continued another day...

fluoroantimonic
July 4th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Marilyn Manson and/or Slipknot is probably my favorite. Others that are close: Lamb of God, Children of Bodom, Cannibal Corpse (sometimes), Combichrist, Otep, Disturbed, Mudvayne, Nine Inch Nials, Rob Zombie, etc. I can't stand AC/DC or anything that resembles it.

Its interesting how similar all of our preferences are so far.

thelasttrueone
July 4th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Mine are Nirvana, Avenged Sevenfold, NIN, The Casualties, The Clash, Rage Against the Machine, Daft Punk, The Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, The Sex Pistols, Rob Zombie and Rammstien. Not as much of a metal fan as you hardcore rockers, more a punkrock guy myself.

-=HeX=-
July 6th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Well well well :D this makes picking the soundtrack for the forum video that I am (Very slowly) compiling so much easier! Please do not hesitate so email me your suggestions for the soundtrack and most importantly, your videos! My email is lordi--101@hotmail.com And my msn is the same. I think there is a link between heavy metal and the forum myself...

Secong Nature
July 22nd, 2008, 09:19 PM
The link makes sense HeX, we forumites like to think of ourselves as liberated thinkers, it takes a large degree of individualism to listen to stuff not on the radio.

For me its European metal mainly, a band you may like Kaydon is Gorefest, Dutch Death Metal with political lyrics and observations on mankind, especially their latest album 'Rise to Ruin'

Anyone else out there going to/been to a Carcass gig?

gaussincarnate
July 23rd, 2008, 05:56 PM
Slayer, Pink Floyd, Jonnie Cash, Cannibal Corpse, Lamb of God, Pantera, Judas Priest, Zyklon, Deep Purple, Megadeath, Metallica, Mudvayne, Opeth, Kataklysm, Genesis, Rammstein, Queen, Black Sabbath, Rolling Stones, Scorpions, Styx, Stephen Lynch, Manowar, Black Dahlia Murder, BTO, CCR, Grand Funk Railroad, Vader, The Who, The Beatles, The Guess Who, Van Halen, ZZ Top, Disturbed, Dragonforce, Foreigner, and System of a Down are all featured very frequently on my playlist.

I find it amusing that almost every list on this thread mentions Megadeath and Lamb of God. There is an obvious connection between our areas of interest and violence, and then violence to metal and hard rock, but the constant occurance of the same few bands in almost every list is rather uncanny.

droz
July 24th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Max Resist, Bully Boys, Bulldog Breed, Skrewdriver, Definite Hate, Riot Wing, Jew Slaughter, Aggravated Assault, Aggressive Force, Bound For Glory, Blue Eyed Devils, Angry Aryans, Intimidation One, H8MACHINE, Johnny Rebel, Johnny Cash, David Allen Coe, Slayer, Pantera.

Pretty much any RAC/WP Music... A Few mainstream bands, but they're few and far between... most are too zog influenced.

Cobalt.45
July 24th, 2008, 10:07 PM
"Classic" rock, for the most part- 'though twazn't classic when I first heard it:(. I remember trying to describe Queen when they came out as a mix between Yes, Mott the Hoople and Uriah Heep...

Rage and some of Corn's stuff's OK, too.

A little surprised (but pleased) to see J. Cash get a nod. Him doing Reznor's "Hurt" (and the video) just blew me away!!! Snoop even gives the old man cred w/his crew by doing a remix of "I Walk the Line".

Alexires
July 27th, 2008, 03:34 AM
Rage is good. I like most of what has been listed here, but there are certainly things that have been lacking. Mozart's Requiem, Wagner, Beethoven's 9th and 5th. Handel's Messiah, Saint-Saens "Organ" Symphony. Most epic music (such as the backing music from V for Vendetta or Pirates).

There is a band called Eluveitie that is good (if you like metal and bagpipes). Especially their song Inis Mona.

Caesium
July 27th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Amon Amarth, Metallica, Ministry, Korpiklaani, Ensiferum, Wintersun, Finntroll, Trollfest, Apocalyptica, Dimmu Borgir, Satyricon, Carpathian Forest, Burzum, Rhapsody of Fire, Turisas, Battleheart/Alestorm, Elvenking, Helloween, Hammerfall, Manowar, Rammstein, Nirvana, Therion, Eluveitie, Temnozor, Laibach, Kamelot, Tyr, Twisted Sister, Temnozor, Arkona, Dragonforce, Skyforger, Gamma Ray, Led Zeppelin, Naglfar, Nile, Pantera, Celtic Legacy, Rage Against the Machine, Shaman, Slayer, Alice Cooper, Moonsorrow, Svartsot, Catamenia, Primordial, ...

I listen to almost all metal and industrial, some grunge and rock, old songs from Ireland, Scotland and Slavic countries. I'm also a big fan of classical, especially Händel, Bach, Beethoven, Wagner, Vivaldi, Grieg and Sibelius.

festergrump
July 27th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Primus is still one of my favorites, and on that note, anyone who also likes them might be interested in Les Claypools "rockumentary" entitled [B]Electric Apricot: Quest for Festeroo[/I]. It's along the same lines as This is Spinal Tap and is some really gutbusting funny shit, though Les never even picks up a bass. Instead he plays the drums and is halfway decent at it...

Beethoven's 9th and 5th are also my favorite of the classical genre, having been turned onto it at a young age by the classic movie 'A Clockwork Orange.

King Crimson, ELP, Motorhead, Gwar, Sepultura, Johnny Cash (of course!), Nuclear Rabbit, King Missile, David Bowie, Adam Ant, Pantera, Megadeth, Pink Floyd, Nirvana, Buckethead, Steve Vai, Frank Zappa... The list goes on forever, seemingly. If it ain't uber-country or rap, chances are I like it. I still have a big thing for the classic '80s rock, just no hair bands or posers.

Fear ruled the punk scene so far as I'm concerned, right up there with the Sex Pistols.

cyf531
July 31st, 2008, 10:39 AM
Primus, Rage Against The Machine, The Prodigy, Nirvava, Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, The Crystal Method, The Offspring, The Misfits.

Pretty much anything that plays on the radio sucks.

Kaydon
July 31st, 2008, 08:16 PM
Primus is pretty decent.

Raventale has been kicking my ass lately.. Damn good tunes.

Secong Nature
August 1st, 2008, 02:19 AM
On the topic of rockumentary Spinal Tap, who keeps up with Dethklok's 'Metalocalypse'?

Ygarl
August 12th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Adres Segovia, The Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, Yes, Rush, Aerosmith, Queen, AC/DC, Metallica, Sepultura, Slayer, Morbid Angel, Atrocity, Cradle of Filth, Brujeria, Pestilence, Death, Skyclad, Sabbat, Akercocke, Dimmu Borgir, Job for a Cowboy, Pantera...
Woah. I have wierd music taste.

Basically, pretty much any band that didn't start release thier first Country album after about 1990, or didn't wear hairspray (or contained any men who didn't wear eye makeup - unless ironically) during the '80s. Otherwise, I'm good.
Late Country music is without any notable exception a rehash of a copy of a copy of GOOD Country: Jennings, Haggard, Parton et al.
80's Cock Rock was a horrifying waste of time and effort. Thank god Grunge killed them dead.

BTW - Kurt Kobain, "We only every wanted to be the Pixies..."
Nirvana - the best? Well, they might have been eventually.
Try something from the Melvins or The Pixies for an exciting taste experience! :-)

Lewis
August 12th, 2008, 09:57 PM
I'm seeing a definite trend here. Classic rock, metal, classic rock, metal .....

I suppose it would be madness to listen to any other genre? You can learn a lot about someone by what they listen to, and this thread is really enlightening about who uses this forum!

For me it's a heavy dose of electronica with a light sprinkling of everything else. Breaks, DnB, Electro, Trance on a special occasion. A little ambient and jazz just to mix it up.

I need to be RELAXED when synthesizing energetics, so I stick to more mellow beats in the lab.

If I had to list them though, the top ones would be Daft Punk, Amon Tobin and Aphex Twin.

totenkov
August 13th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Adres Segovia, The Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, Yes, Rush, Aerosmith, Queen, AC/DC, Metallica, Sepultura, Slayer, Morbid Angel, Atrocity, Cradle of Filth, Brujeria, Pestilence, Death, Skyclad, Sabbat, Akercocke, Dimmu Borgir, Job for a Cowboy, Pantera...
Woah. I have wierd music taste.

I wouldn't go so far as to say your tastes are weird, more of an eclectic, eccentric taste. I share some of the same as you. I love good hard rock but some punk and metal becomes rather irritating and annoying to me quite quickly. The moody Blues are an excellent band that I note most for their albums "On the threshold of a dream" and "Days of the future passed". Pink Floyd has to be my most favorite band of all time, especially when tripping.