View Full Version : Indonesian Bombs

fiknet
July 4th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Did any one see/have more info on the supposed massive bomb cache that was to target westerners much like the 'Bali bombs'?

While reading through a few articles I caught this little snippet, which to me sounds quite stupid.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23969589-23109,00.html

Indonesia's National Police chief General Sutanto said the cache of seized bombs - including 10 which were primed to explode - had the potential for a greater blast than the 2002 Bali bombings in which 202 people died, including 88 Australians.

"It's very true because the technique now, the bomb it's not filled with metal ball bearings but its filled with sharp bullets," he said.

"(They are) filled into it so that when the explosion happens, certainly it will have a double impact.
"If it is exploded, the bomb itself and the bullets, when exploded will hurt people and even could kill people."

Is he suggesting that when the bomb goes off all the bullets(7.62 perhaps?) will suddenly go off and be like hundreds of AK47's firing?:confused:

Never mind a 100g steel ball bearing coming at you just watch out for those 7.62 bullets, they're SHARP

Barnacles
July 4th, 2008, 06:40 AM
I don't think just burning or cooking off bullets will have the same effect as firing them. They need to be in a barrel for confinement of the blast/pressure than all of the powder is used and the bullet is sent on a linear trajectory. If it is not contained with a barrel the rapidly expanding gases barely push the bullet away.

From experience I saw a bullet cook off and simply fly off not to far. It went bang like it had really fired, but the bullet bounced off some wood like 5 feet away and barely even scratched it, If it had hit me or the other person it would have maybe, just maybe scratched us or bruised us. It was really freaking scary though...

The media tends to not "research" (by this I mean ignore or refuse to print incontrovertible evidence , See ostrich with its head in the sand) their claims on things like energetics or anything taboo, steroids, drugs and what not. They are merely trying to pursue the governments agenda of fearmongering. If they actually told the truth they wouldn't be able to scare us into sheeple submission.

crazywhiteguy
July 4th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I also disagree with the 7.62 possibility. If the bullets were stacked in a way that they would all be spent, they would be torn apart by the forces of the explosion. I really doubt that they would use low explosive and a thousand heavy barrels that would be required to make those bullets lethal. More likely is that they would cast a cover of cast iron is a grid in the way WWII grenades were. This would make the corners 'sharp' and having a flat surface to take the gases of the explosion would more effectively propel the shrapnel than the tiny tail face of a bullet.

Kaydon
July 6th, 2008, 12:47 PM
From experience I saw a bullet cook off and simply fly off not to far. It went bang like it had really fired, but the bullet bounced off some wood like 5 feet away and barely even scratched it, If it had hit me or the other person it would have maybe, just maybe scratched us or bruised us. It was really freaking scary though...

MythBusters cooked bullets in an oven to see if they would fire and break the glass on the oven door and the only bullet that did that was the .50 cal, and it only broke the inner sheet of glass.

They tested .22, .45 and .50, they may have done 38 and so on but I don't remember.