View Full Version : Rifle Launched Grenade - Archive File

Anthony
March 17th, 2003, 08:39 PM
AR-15 Man
Frequent Poster
posted January 06, 2001 11:14 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does anyone have diagrams showing how a bullet trap works on a NATO rifle grenade? They have made me curious as you don't have to switch ammo with them cause they trap the bullet. I don't even wanna try to even attempt to improvise one but I am just very curious about this device.

PYRO500
posted January 07, 2001 12:44 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not sure how the specific NATO rifle grenades work but as I understand some rifle grenades have a hollow hole goung through them allowing the bullet to pass through, although the closed ones I beleve have a tube on the inside and have a thick metal coating around them (so they dont set off the main charge) and at the end

Digital-Demon
A new voice
posted January 07, 2001 03:03 PM
i'm sorry but if it had a tube allowing the round to pass through it then the grenade would not be propeled, it has a a kind of percussion cap on the inside.
basicly when the bullet is fired the the round goes up the barrel hits the grenade and propels it while the percussion cap starts the delay.

hope this helps

PYRO500
posted January 07, 2001 04:50 PM
I am not talking about delay systems here and some rifle grenades do allow the bullet to pass through (alot of old ones i've seen) of cource there is some kind of initiatator but i am trying to describe the bullet trap

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted February 18, 2001 08:37 AM
Just a guess: The bullet goes into a thick walled, converging steel tube in the grenade. This would bring the bullet to a stop relatively slowly, so it wouldn't bounce out, and all it's momentum would be given to the grenade (and a little bit to itself).
Or a thick rubber block?
But that is a complete, un-educated guess.
How heavy are the grenades? I was just gonna work out about how fast they would go.

The Real
Frequent Poster
posted February 18, 2001 12:42 PM
I'd say probably a converging tube filled with something that can expand easily under a tremendous amount of shock. But I'd think the still expanding gases would push the grenade more so than the bullet would. Objects when it with a .308 at close range don't fly 400m, even if they stop the bullet and are lined up to fly.
And yes there are pass through grenades. They do have a much more limited range however.

A dummy rifle grenade (from the WW2) era I'd GUESS weighs 1.5-2lbs all innards removed. I've played with them, but have never actually weighed one.

drake
Frequent Poster
posted February 18, 2001 04:24 PM
its a series of steel plates, each about
1/4"-3/8" thick , the bullet (5.56) will pass through 1,2 or even three but htere are two more to guard from prem detonation,
i know this from first hand knowedge, and from ammunition,small arms,grenades and projected munitions (greenhill mil manuals)

there are modern pass thou grenades eg:
FN Bullet-thru (actual spel) range 400yds

also the last plates(hardened steel) are set at an angle to quote "and a hardened steel bullet deflector which ensures that,if by some freak,the trap does not stop the bullet
it will be deflected out through the side of the tail"

the bt/at 52 (israel) weighs 510 gms, and goes to 300 yds