View Full Version : Ebay nitirc acid

I probably hate you
July 7th, 2008, 07:27 PM
There is some guy on ebay selling nitric acid I dont know what nitric normally costs so I cant say if it is a good deal but it is 67% and $25 shipped for a 950ml bottle. Can anyone let me know how to verify what he is selling is actually what it says it is, it is clear and fumes slightly when the container is open besides that I dont know much more about it.:confused: thanks

Setharier
July 7th, 2008, 08:31 PM
HNO3 is clear if it doesnt have NOx in it and it does fumes when it is opened, especially at higher concentrations. My 60% stuff fumes clearly.

But if you do have any glass equipment, make it by yourself easy and cheap. All you need is battery acid and KNO3(stump remover and a common fertilizer), boil up the battery acid up to 99%, mix it with KNO3 and boil the stuff, you get 95% HNO3. By being able to do this, I would not buy that. But the price isn't SO high. If that's your only way to obtain it, then (obvious..) there isn't many choices :)

Intrinsic
July 7th, 2008, 09:13 PM
I probably hate you:
You should probably think twice before buying from ebay, especially nitric acid. That is clearly an item that ebay might report you buying (even unrequested), as they do with many questionable items. There are several discussions you can find about ebay's policies.

Also a simple google search revealed several sources and prices. (I have never bought it, I am with Setharier in that I prefer to make my own).

Setharier:
I believe the highest concentration you can get is 98% by boiling. I tried that way once but it took many, many, many hours of boiling to get to 90%+ concentration. I now prefer to buy the drain cleaner (even though they generally have impurities).

Cobalt.45
July 8th, 2008, 12:14 AM
...make it by yourself easy and cheap. All you need is battery acid and KNO3(stump remover and a common fertilizer), boil up the battery acid up to 99%, mix it with KNO3 and boil the stuff, you get 95% HNO3. By being able to do this, I would not buy that. But the price isn't SO high. If that's your only way to obtain it, then (obvious..) there isn't many choices :)

Just like that, huh? And here I thought there was more to it than that...:rolleyes:

As far as mail order prices go, that is a decent price for including delivery, IMHO. Makes you wonder if they might be playing fast and loose w/shipping, but this from the site:
"NOT a hazardous material. This is re-classed & shipped as a consumer commodity under US DOT regulations." And: "Legally Ships by Fedex Ground only."

I would say it could have been manufactured by him, but that's just a guess on my part.

Barnacles
July 8th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Will the first two(that's 2) posters in this thread please refrain from using energetics. Just from 1 post from each of you it is very clear neither of you should be messing with this stuff.

First poster wants to buy nitric acid, but doesn't know a thing about it. based on the question you asked I would be surprised if I didn't read in the near future that you drank some to see if it was real.

Second poster, if that is not the largest over simplification of a rather complicated process, I don't know what is. Also you are wrong. You do not just boil sulphuric acid and a nitrate salt and voila 95% nitric acid... Please don't give any more advice before you kill someone or have someone wasting resources for nothing.

ChippedHammer
July 8th, 2008, 08:55 AM
mix it with KNO3 and boil the stuff, you get 95% HNO3

If by 'boil' you mean distill under a vacuum with a all glass (and teflon) apparatus then you would be correct. You are looking at spending at minimum a few hundred dollars for a decent setup.

I should also point out that you may have just killed a decent source, you could have easily asked all of the questions you wanted without mentioning anything about the supplier. I never publicly disclose or even hint to sources that I have found or use.

Setharier
July 8th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Yes, sorry about this, I did simplified it for a little.. Of course I meant like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q07XzOf_Cyc

Still I think it's quite simple compared next to those wurzazan and industrial catalyst osmose stuff.

I probably hate you
July 8th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I know not to drink nitric acid smart ass, I was just wondering besides doing desity tests what else is there to do to make sure its what it says it is, I have already bought some and want to test it, as for the source hoarder what is the point in that, isnt this forum about helping others or is it your intention to learn all you can without giving, some of you assholes have huge damn egos and it gets old listening to them, be constructive and helpful or get lost.

Emil
July 8th, 2008, 07:25 PM
First of all, I would say calm down. I don't know why you were insulted for your first post, as personally there isn't reallly a great deal wrong with it, however you're new here, and newer members should take what they get thrown at them until they learn the ropes a bit more. Calling people assholes and so forth will get your presence banished from the site before you know it. This is a professional forum, and most people do not take lightly, to kids who spew swear words and bring down the high quality level of posting here.

Naming sources in my books is off limits, however I should hope nobody on the forum thinks of eBay as a source?? Seriously?? Maybe a booby trap if nothing else. Generally we keep sources hush,and only via PM. This saves any moron who is scanning the site looking for ways to upset us by banning/harassing/pressuring our sources, has an extremely tough time. As you know there is always a moron in a high place looking for the next item he can ban.

I am not entirley sure of the concentration at which Nitric acid fumes at, but I assume it's the 60%+ mark. There's your first simple answer. Density really is the next way to accurately check your product. With a good set of scales this will give you a definate answer. I would say your product to be of good accuracy at that stated concentration.

Depending on what you are looking to use your nitric acid for, depends on whether that is a good price. Nitric acid is such a pain to get hold of that any reasonable price is considered a gift.
You've made a mistake though buying it from eBay. This is a dangerous place to go buying chemicals of this nature from. Is the seller likely to report you!? is it a trap!? Of course not, the seller is having a wonderful time making a living from selling goods online. It's the snakes working in the eBay offices which love to pray on their victims, reporting who they see fit.

A last note aswell, fix your puncuation. We all make small mistakes, but leaving out an apostrophe more than once is poor grammar.

Cobalt.45
July 8th, 2008, 09:00 PM
...I have already bought some...

OK, so why bother to ask the question of whether it's a deal? Obviously it was, to YOU.

As to use eBay as a source or not, it's entirely up to the individual.

Certain precursors will bring attention, there is no doubt. Fact is, if you don't make it yourself, you are risking having the fact known that you have bought it. But the fedgov doesn't just wait for eBay snitches to drop a dime (although I bet they're happy when/if they do). The interweb is FULL of traps/snitches and with the fedgov's resources and software, bet your ass that there are no stones unturned in their zealous search for "domestic terrorism".

Anyone posting here should be aware that you are "known" already.:eek: Count on it. Or, do you think the biggest, baddest, in-your-face web site just goes unnoticed?:rolleyes: The people here can be counted on the fingers of one hand that have the savvy to cloak their ID from the feds.

Simply buying and/or possessing nitric acid, et al is not in and of itself illegal. It is how you use it that will be the determining factor.;)

I probably hate you
July 9th, 2008, 02:07 AM
I am not new here I just do not post much because it is just a hassle most of the time, I am not teenager I am 30 years old with three kids, naming sources happens here all the time do a few searches or look up the the OTC survey sharing is the name of the game, people who post constantly don't IMO hold anymore value than those who do not it is the content of your posts that matters. Leave my punctuation alone why do people here pick everything apart who cares about my grammar I didn't misspell any precursor names or anything that can get anyone hurt. This kind of picking at harmless things is why I don't post much. I am sorry if I seem angry I was tring to add a source of nitric for everyone and ask a simple question and wanted a answer. Also I never asked if it was a good deal I just said I didn't know if it was a good deal. Has anyone ever been busted for buying something off of ebay? if you know of an instance of this let me know.
I will do some density tests and go from there I have a good scale so it wont be a problem.

ChippedHammer
July 9th, 2008, 03:44 AM
naming sources happens here all the time do a few searches or look up the the OTC survey

You don't seem to understand, not much can happen if you name large stores (like in the OTC survey). You will find that all of the decent sources are not publicly listed for every k3wl to see.

And yes eBay will gladly turn your details over to LE, I'm sure there are countless examples of people getting woken up by jackboots because they purchased something "suspicious".

http://pages.ebay.com/help/newtoebay/privacy_summary.html

We share limited information with law enforcement and others to help keep the Community safe.

Charles Owlen Picket
July 9th, 2008, 10:11 AM
This whole thing of Ebay being a problem is not mythology people! Please, just keep an open mind (I know that asking a lot from some anyway) to the possibility that some of the "stories" are factual.

Ebay is seriously big; we all know that it's about as voluminous as a major department store chain in terms of sales volume per day......correct? It sells new & used materials and almost anything politically correct. It has actually be used for YEARS as a "fensing tool" and LE agencies know that so well that some of the larger Fraud Divisions have "Ebay desks".

What some people can't seem to wrap their heads around is that Ebay would "offer" information or allow or even promote "honey traps". Ebay makes billions; they want to stay in business, so it simply makes economic sense that they play ball with whoever asks them to if that agency or person has any sway over government, accessibility, finances, publicity, or accountability.

This has been proven time and again; documented by 1st hand accounts to such an extent, that I'm surprised that many would even consider any chemical purchase there.

This issue came further to light from a Make Magazine article and little You Tube blurb on how unbelievably easy it was to make Iodine: the precursor, which was so common as to be laughable and totally non-restricted was reported voluntarily by Ebay. Do a fast search on You Tube for "making Iodine".... That whole thing made this a "non-issue" as no one would think that they would go UNREPORTED! You should not need any more convincing to avoid Ebay & not ever consider it a source for chemicals or related material. Please take heed on this one!

Emil
July 9th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I am not new here I just do not post much because it is just a hassle most of the time, I am not teenager I am 30 years old with three kids, naming sources happens here all the time do a few searches or look up the the OTC survey sharing is the name of the game, people who post constantly don't IMO hold anymore value than those who do not it is the content of your posts that matters. Leave my punctuation alone why do people here pick everything apart who cares about my grammar I didn't misspell any precursor names or anything that can get anyone hurt. This kind of picking at harmless things is why I don't post much.

Who cares about your grammar?? Most of the moderators I hope. Your lucky NBK isn't still around otherwise you wouldn't be here to view this message. Things have loosened up since NBK has gone unfortuanetly. No offence, but on the forum level, it is allowing people like your self to slip through the barrier unnoticed. Sure you are not doing anything greatly wrong, but things like punctuation and grammar (and the knowledge of the members) is what seperates us from the likes of other similar based forums. The reason we are picky about it all, is if we start letting it slide on a regular basis, over a period of time, the quality of the forum starts dropping down the rungs, and all of a sudden there are hundreads of sloppy posts strung throughout threads.

This is not in anyway a dig at the mods, which do a fantastic job here and only have a certain amount of time on their hands. It's just that NBK's specialty was removing the kewls and such.

megalomania
July 10th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I don't keep a collection of clippings handy, but yes there have been many people busted for buying things off ebay. Not for the sale itself, but for what they were doing with the items. The ebay sale gives the coppers cause to put you under the microscope, and ebay actually goes out of their way to hand your information over to the coppers, unasked.

I was under the impression that the sale of nitric acid on ebay is forbidden. If not forbidden, then discouraged.