View Full Version : Randomness

ChippedHammer
July 9th, 2008, 12:46 PM
While googling for a few things (heating mantle) I found a interesting PDF aimed at people working in pharmaceutical and chemical supply stores. At the end they had a few group training situations.

THE TELEPHONE ENQUIRY

A suburban branch of a large chemical distribution company. The internal
Setting:

sales staffer, Gina, has been with the company for several years and is
quickly suspicious of “B”.

Gina: Barret Chemicals, can I help you?

B: Yes I wanted to place an order for some Phenylacetic
Acid.

Gina: Do you have an account with us sir?

B: No. Is that necessary?

Gina: For that particular chemical yes.

B: And that would be the case everywhere else?

Gina: Yes pretty much so. You would realise of course that it’s a
Category 1 chemical.

B: How do you mean?

Gina: Well sir we can’t take an order from you unless you have an account with us.

B: Oh well that’s fine. I’ll open an account then. You do stock Phenylacetic Acid
then?

Gina: Well we wouldn’t have it on our shelves right now. I’d have to check on the
computer for you. If we do have to get it in for you there would probably be
about a week’s delay before we could deliver. How much were you wanting to
order?

B: We need 15 kilos. What is it a kilo?

Gina: Well you’re looking at 500 dollars per kilo so that would be 7,500.

B: Fine. Does it always take that long to get in? I mean we need it pretty quickly. Can’t you speed it up a bit?

Gina: I’m afraid not. As I said I’m not even 100% sure of its
availability. But I can check with the warehouse fairly quickly on that if you
want me to.

B: Yes please. When could I know if it’s available?

Gina: I could ring you back in 15 minutes if that suits you.

B: It would probably be a lot easier if I rang you back in 15. I’m in and out so
you probably wouldn’t catch me.

Gina: Well I’m going to need some kind of contact if you want me to let you know
about availability.

B: I see. Well I’ll give you my mobile number.
It’s 018 333 3333.

Gina: And what was your name sir?

B: Andrew Parsons. But like I said I’ll ring you back in about 15 minutes.

Gina: Well I’ll be taking my break soon so I’ll leave the details with Jenny Bishop.
She’s internal sales and can give you some more details about opening an
account. If I’m not around you can speak to her. Do you want her direct
number?

B: Yeah! that’d be good.

Gina: It’s 123 45678 (By prior arrangement this number could in fact be a Direct number to -a Company supervisor; Authority personnel or to the Drug Squad)

B: Thanks very much.

Gina: You’re welcome.

Seems like a perfectly normal order to me :)

At the end there was some useful information - a big list of what not to do

SOME INDICATORS OF SUSPICIOUS ORDERS OR ENQUIRIES

INDICATORS WHICH CAN BE USED BY INDUSTRY PERSONNEL
TO IDENTIFY SUSPECT CUSTOMERS OR CHEMICAL SHIPMENTS

- A new customer or unfamiliar representative of an established customer who deviates from previous ordering methods.
- A “walk-in” customer (personal appearance).
- An offer to pay an excessive price for certain chemicals or for rapid delivery.
- Cash payments, even for large purchases.
- Requests to have the merchandise delivered in non-commercial or unmarked packing.
- Purchases in small containers even when industrial use is claimed.
- Irregular ordering patterns.
- Unusual quantities ordered.
- Orders or purchases by persons or companies with no obvious need for these chemicals.
- Indications of intended use that is inconsistent with the chemical ordered.
- Merchandise that is collected with the purchaser’s own vehicle.
- Request for delivery by air freight.
- Delivery to a post office box or other incomplete address.
- Failure or unwillingness to supply a telephone number or an address.
- Lack of business acumen.
- Absence of standard business stationery.
- Reluctance to supply a written order.
- Orders for more than one precursor chemical.
- Orders to universities or well-known companies where the normal arrangements for ordering are used but delivery is requested to a specific individual.
- Orders to companies which are not known and cannot readily be traced in trade directories.
- Orders for chemicals with delivery instructions where the cost of delivery or routing exceeds the cost of the merchandise.
- An established customer who deviates from previous orders or ordering methods.
- A customer who has difficulty in pronouncing chemical names, titles of equipment, etc.
- A customer who is vague about the company address, telephone number and reason for desiring a listed chemical.
- A customer who prefers to pay by cashiers cheque, postal money order, etc.
- A customer who is not a member of a trade, professional, or business association.
- A customer who furnishes false or suspicious addresses, telephone numbers, references etc.
- A customer whose communication either by telephone, mail or other means is not
conducted or prepared in a professional manner.
- A customer who requests other unusual methods or routes of shipment, or who provides unusual shipping, labelling or packing instructions.
- A customer who purchases unusual quantities or combinations of chemicals or glassware in contrast with customary practice and usage.
- Use of a freight forwarder as ultimate consignee.
- Use of intermediate consignee(s) whose location or business are incompatible with the end-user’s nature of business.
- Evasive responses to any questions, or responses that indicate a lack of basic knowledge of the industry, or inability to supply information on whether listed chemicals are for domestic use or export.

Rbick
July 9th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Nice, it looks like "Mr.B" there is a jack ass.

I have ordered a few chems from companies that require an account. Before calling, I always have everything thought out ahead of time and know the rules before fumbling around like in the post you found. Social engineering can be a big part of the home experimenters realm :D

Cobalt.45
July 17th, 2008, 09:57 AM
I believe "business acumen" to be one of the best ways to "socially engineer" yourself (along with a gift for gab) into most any supplier's inventory.

A while ago, there was a thread on obtaining samples from various manufacturers that illustrates the willingness of some companies to deal with phone contacts.

More here: http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?t=5072&highlight=free+samples

Once a modicum of trust has been established, one can often turn that into a tool for acquiring "sample" quantities of what-ever at little or no cost, or an order for even larger amounts.

But as stated by Rbic, you must have your rap down, complete w/company name, addy, contact info, etc. This info need not be valid, mind you- in many cases you need only to convince the associate on the other end that you're legit.

Rbick
July 17th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Ah yes, the wonderful samples you can get! On one occasion, I got two .5 gallon samples of Ethylene Diamine and Triethylene Tetramine for FREE. I'm assuming most of you can guess what those are for :D

But yes, samples can be an awesome thing. Its always good to leave them hanging after you get the sample sent. Say something like "Thank you, we will try it out and see how it performs. We'll be in touch with you soon".

Alexires
July 20th, 2008, 02:50 AM
*laugh* I found 4kg of PE available for free as a "sample". What a laugh that was.

Sampling is truly a gift from god, and it also helps to build your credibility as well as improve relations with certain companies.

A good thing to do when engaging in some social engineering is to make things personal. If you buy from a small company, remember the name of the sales rep, ask for them personally over the phone, build a relationship with them.

This does two things: It helps to stop them from hiding behind the company name (and reporting you), and also may, in the future, help you skip some of the tedious steps in getting certain chems, equipment and may allow you to ask for assistance with certain things (the last sample of Pt/Ir you sent didn't work exactly the way we expected. What other catalysts for polymerisation do you have, John?)