View Full Version : Interesting article on UN

Zait
July 15th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Source: Wired 14.06 (http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.06/chemistry.html)

The first startling thing Joy White saw out of her bedroom window was a man running toward her door with an M16. White’s husband, a physicist named Bob Lazar, was already outside, awakened by their barking dogs. Suddenly police officers and men in camouflage swarmed up the path, hoisting a battering ram. “Come out with your hands up immediately, Miss White!” one of them yelled through a megaphone, while another handcuffed the physicist in his underwear. Recalling that June morning in 2003, Lazar says, “If they were expecting to find Osama bin Laden, they brought along enough guys.”

The target of this operation, which involved more than two dozen police officers and federal agents, was not an international terrorist ring but the couple’s home business, United Nuclear Scientific Supplies, a mail-order outfit that serves amateur scientists, students, teachers, and law enforcement professionals. From the outside, company headquarters – at the end of a dirt road high in the Sandia Mountains east of Albuquerque – looks like any other ranch house in New Mexico, with three dogs, a barbecue, and an SUV in the driveway. But not every suburban household boasts its own particle accelerator. A stroll through the backyard reveals what looks like a giant Van de Graaff generator with a pipe spiraling out of it, marked with CAUTION: RADIATION signs. A sticker on the SUV reads POWERED BY HYDROGEN, while another sign by the front gate warns, TRESPASSERS WILL BE USED FOR SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS.

Science experiments are United Nuclear’s business. The chemicals available on the company’s Web site range from ammonium dichromate (the main ingredient in the classic science-fair volcano) to zinc oxide powder (which absorbs UV light). Lazar and White also sell elements like sodium and mercury, radioactive minerals, and geeky curiosities like aerogel, an ultralightweight foam developed by NASA to capture comet dust. The Department of Homeland Security buys the company’s powerful infrared flashlights by the case; the Mythbusters guys on the Discovery Channel recently picked up 10 superstrong neodymium magnets. (These come with the sobering caveat: “Beware – you must think ahead when moving these magnets … Loose metallic objects and other magnets may become airborne and fly considerable distances.”) Fire departments in Nevada and California send for United Nuclear’s Geiger counters and uranium ore to train hazmat crews.

A former employee of the Los Alamos National Laboratory, the 47-year-old Lazar radiates a boyish enthusiasm for science and gadgets. White, 50, is a trim licensed aesthetician who does herbal facials for local housewives while helping her husband run the company. When the officers determined that Lazar and White posed no physical threat, they freed the couple from their handcuffs and produced a search warrant. United Nuclear’s computers and business records were carted off in a van.

The search was initiated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission, a federal agency best known for instigating recalls of faulty cribs and fire-prone space heaters. The CPSC’s concern with United Nuclear was not the uranium, the magnets, or the backyard accelerator. It was the chemicals – specifically sulfur, potassium perchlorate, and powdered aluminum, all of which can be used to make illegal fireworks. The agency suspected that Lazar and White were selling what amounted to kits for making M-80s, cherry bombs, and other prohibited items; such kits are banned by the CPSC under the Federal Hazardous Substances Act.

“We are not just a recall agency,” explains CPSC spokesperson Scott Wolfson. “We have turned our attention to the chemical components used in the manufacture of illegal fireworks, which can cause amputations and death.” A 2004 study by the agency found that 2 percent of fireworks-related injuries that year were caused by homemade or altered fireworks; the majority involved the mishandling of commercial firecrackers, bottle rockets, and sparklers. Nonetheless, Wolfson says, “we’ve fostered a very close relationship with the Justice Department and we’re out there on the Internet looking to see who is promoting these core chemicals. Fireworks is one area where we’re putting people in prison.”

In the past several years, the CPSC has gone after a variety of online vendors, demanding the companies require customers to prove they have a license to manufacture explosives before they can purchase any chemical associated with making them. Many of these compounds, however, are also highly useful for conducting science experiments. Sulfur, for example, is an ingredient in hydrogen sulfide, an important tool for chemical analysis. Potassium perchlorate and potassium nitrate are widely used in labs as oxidizers.

The CPSC’s war on illegal fireworks is one of several forces producing a chilling effect on amateur research in chemistry. National security issues and laws aimed at thwarting the production of crystal meth are threatening to put an end to home laboratories. In schools, rising liability concerns are making teachers wary of allowing students to perform their own experiments. Some educators even speculate that a lack of chem lab experience is contributing to the declining interest in science careers among young people.

United Nuclear got its computers back a few days after they were hauled away, and three years passed before Lazar and White heard from the authorities again. This spring, the couple was charged with violating the Federal Hazardous Substances Act and shipping restricted chemicals across state lines. If convicted, Lazar and White each face a maximum penalty of 270 days in prison and a $15,000 fine.

The lure of do-it-yourself chemistry has always been the most potent recruiting tool science has to offer. Many kids attracted by the promise of filling the garage with clouds of ammonium sulfide – the proverbial stink bomb – went on to brilliant careers in mathematics, biology, programming, and medicine.

Intel cofounder Gordon Moore set off his first boom in Silicon Valley two decades before pioneering the design of the integrated circuit. One afternoon in 1940, near the spot where Interstate 280 intersects Sand Hill Road today, the future father of the semiconductor industry knelt beside a cache of homemade dynamite and lit the fuse. He was 11 years old.

Intrinsic
July 15th, 2008, 07:51 PM
It took them three years to finally press charges, and even then probably because the statue of limitations was running out on several of the 'potential' charges. I imagine they felt they had to charge them with something to validate their actions, and scare the others in the industry into submission when their time comes.

Is the CPSC a government entity? It sounds like it is being a bit overzealous, perhaps a bid for more funding? Sure I can see a faulty crib, or toys from China made out of cyanide might warrant their attention; but "demanding the companies require customers to prove they have a license to manufacture explosives before they can purchase any chemical associated with making them", is going a bit too far. Is this a law? Or are they trying to force companies to adopt the CPSC's guidelines? Any chemical associated?!?! That is potentially a big list.

I see they mentioned Sciencemadness, Readily Available Chemicals, and the International Order of Nitrogen, but not Roguesci. Perhaps the general subject matter here is a bit too sensitive for the average person. (Explosive discussions this way -------> Roguesci.org)!

I didn't realize that in Texas you have to register with the Department of Public Safety before you can even buy some types of glassware! :rolleyes: Boy am I happy that I live in a relatively free state. I am glad that I had the opportunity in middle/high school to actually do chemistry; it sounds like many schools are doing away with the hands-on approach, it is quite disappointing. Welcome to the dumbing down of America.

We (in the US) live in an overly litigious society, everyone is afraid of being sued for anything. I was in Europe recently, and at various tourist spots, I recall seeing no (or broken) handrails, etc at various sites. I remember thinking that that would never happen in the US, some moron would fall, trip in a hole, or do something completely stupid (that was their own fault of course), and sue for millions. And they would win.

Setharier
July 16th, 2008, 03:37 PM
In that case America really is a sick country. Therefore, it is more liberate than most countries of the world. The point is, which isn't allowed doing unknown, is allowed if you just register yourself at some agency. Good point we said here, one shall never detonate anything in here asked before or after the detonation, but in US you can blow up X tons of dynamite just reporting before to the three-letter-initiatives.

festergrump
July 16th, 2008, 05:07 PM
The name Bob Lazar rang a bell with me when I read this thread earlier today so I looked him up on a couple of sites I may have read about him on. I was right, it is the same guy.

This link is the most relevant as it speaks volumes about what the CPSC (being a government entity) may have been truly after him for, and it is brief but contains enough:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Lazar

Since he was originally arrested 3 years ago, I wonder if it was the hydrogen conversion kit for autos he has in prototype or was it his constant delving into the truths of Area 51, underground bases at Dulce (New Mexico), other underground military bases, and the existance of seemingly extra terrestrial aircraft around or coming from these sites? His constantly speaking of S-4 may hold more truth than one might be inclined to believe originally.

Maybe they want him to STFU about such things? Maybe they want to scare the crap out of him for daring to offer an alternative to our outrageously government approved petroleum cartel and the prices they demand?

I doubt they'd even try to make such a stink if it were only the selling of chems which have merit as also being so useful for so many different things NOT pertaining to M-80s and such fireworks. There's more than likely a higher agenda hidden somewhere, IMHO. Then again, nothing surprises me so far as the government is concerned. Maybe they really ARE that petty...

Hirudinea
July 16th, 2008, 07:54 PM
My favourite quote "blowing up ballons, with saftey goggles."
Also heres another good point.

“Why is it that I can walk into Wal-Mart and buy boxes of bullets and black powder, but I can’t buy potassium perchlorate to do science because it can also be used to make explosives?” he asks. “How many people are injured each year doing extreme sports or playing high school football? But mention mixing up chemicals in your home lab, and people have a much lower index of acceptable risk.”

Probably because the U.S. has the second ammendment and people think football is cool, but science geeks aren't.

Well never mind, people here don't need to learn to think and experiment, everything is made China and thinking is bad for the people in power, good sheep are stupid sheep! Now if you'll excuse me I have to go watch "When skanks attack!"

megalomania
July 29th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Didn't someone post that article a year or two ago when it first came out? Use that thread.