View Full Version : Pre-SHTF Tactics

Mr Science
July 20th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I feel this topic deserves its own thread. We have already thoroughly discussed what to do in a SHTF scenario, but what I think what is just as important, if not more, is what could be done before this hypothetical event takes place. Without preparation of any sort, it is fair to say the resistance would be a less formidable enemy.

So this thread will discuss how one could prepare themselves, winning the minds of the masses, or otherwise serve as a catalyst for this event to come.

This was one of my posts from the original SHTF thread I am in the process of moving here:

This hasn't been mentioned yet, but I think one of the most important things that can be done now is the distribution of information (essentially everything in Roguesci and our FTP). I am sure most of us have this information stored away, but asides from the members here, how many other people outside of Rogue Science would like this information, not to mention the countless other people who will need this information after the shit finally hits the fan?

Asides from myself, I only know of a few other people who put our files and information up on torrents. But it only takes a few people doing to make a massive difference. Currently, nearly everyone is able to use P2P services without much of a (legal) risk. Now is the time to take full advantage of this, before it inevitably becomes too late.

shady mutha
July 21st, 2008, 04:20 AM
I would say there would be no 'resistance' at all.

You cant win shit unless you have money and a army, if you don't have that your on your own, surviving at best.

Screw the masses, if the shit goes down its gonna me every man for him self.

Like they say 'its not what you know its who you know'.

Mr Science
July 22nd, 2008, 02:03 AM
I am not saying to necessarily to be a huge influence on the populace, but simply to make the conditions more favorable for the fighters in this hypothetical situation.

Alexires
July 22nd, 2008, 02:22 AM
Shady - I blatantly disagree with you for reasons fairly obvious. If anyone wants me to elaborate, I will, but such a "lie down and die" argument needs little rebuttal in my opinion.

Mr Science - I think it is important to take a selfish approach at first. Imagine a pebble dropped in a pond. At the beginning, the only thing you should be worrying about is yourself and you IMMEDIATE family (those that live with you). It could be argued by some that you figure fuck them, but then again, what point is there in living if that which you live for isn't around?

Immediate SHTF personal safety (including those you have with you)

Naturally, a person considering pre-SHTF tactics would need to think generally about what SHTF may involve. As I see it (and I think most would agree) the first thing that must be considered is a direct attack on yourself, or your immediate family.

-Secure room
-Secure house
-Secure yard

Thus, first of all, I would like to direct attention to NBK's Security Architecture PDF that may be found in /upload/festergrump on the FTP. I think this is a very important document dealing with how one would go about protecting oneself and family against a SHTF scenario.

Also see the thread of IR reflectors enhancing IR dependent night vision, and also there is a thread/post/pdf about a kind of personal safe that sits under your bed that is easy to just roll of the bed, into where weapons/ammo and fire holes are prepared.

By combining these and applying to yourself and your family, the personal danger when the SHTF is reduced right off.

Hence, a pre-SHTF tactic would be to start to augment your room/house/yard to make it more "SHTF friendly"

Next off is the worry about whether you leave town or stay.

Leave/Stay.

If the SHTF scenario requires you to leave town for whatever reason, you need to have either a mobile shelter or a safe house prepared.

The pre-SHTF tactic here is to procure mobile shelter, learn how to use it effectively or to buy a safe house/piece of land that cultivate it so that if you have to move on short notice, you can survive for a while

If Leave then

Shelter/Water/Food

If you don't need/want to leave town (a rare scenario), then basic life essentials come next. You need to secure a supply of water/food for yourself and those you choose to keep with you. Thus, the next step is perhaps weapons and armour, as well as transport.

With the growing fuel crisis, you might want to think of procuring extra fuel for your vehicle. I would suggest a vehicle fitted to run on LPG as well as petrol and to have a long range petrol tank as well as a few LPG tanks on board. LPG will not go "off" like petrol will if it is left for a while, and while offering less range, means you are ready to go immediately.

If Stay then

Water/Food

etc.

The list goes on and on really. I would suggest that the best thing that can be done is to try and guess what the SHTF scenario will be. By keeping an eye on various news services (both national and international), one will have an idea about what the SHTF scenario is, and hence how to react. The only SHTF scenario that you will not be able to predict is something that happens within the space of a day. Hence, JBT's at your door, nuclear attack, etc.

Thus, for these ones, an escape route as well as the security box talked about above.

Cultivating friends of power. As Shady said, it isn't what you know, it's who you know. If you cultivate friends in high places, then you might get a whiff of what is to come that they don't want to media to know about. Thus, knowing politicians (most easy to get access to) and others in power (business moguls, oil barons, real estate jugglers, etc).

Obviously, that isn't exactly a walk in the park, but every little bit helps. Even if you know that a few politicians have suddenly up and left country for no reason might be enough of a hint.

Some things to think about might be:

While camouflage might look cool in your opinion, it stands out like dogs balls when not being used. You might be prepared, have your bug out bag all ready, but you are going to look like a mighty idiot walking down the middle of street in the city because you have decided to leave before everyone else and you have a cam pack.

Get something dark coloured, get rid of the reflectors they insist on putting on it, and as well as having it all ready to go, perhaps have a set of clothes ready to go as well. Look the part of a back packer, and no one will look at your twice, where as you will probably be picked up for questioning if you are wearing cams and looking ready to kick ass.

Hunting rifles, and assault rifles may look manly, but they aren't exactly the most concealable of weapons. Invest in a handgun as well as a set of bow and arrows. While you won't fight off the army with your bow and arrows, you will know how to use one if you ever have to make on in the bush, and they are legal to carry around (here anyway).

A lot of your pre-SHTF tactics will be plainly obvious when you get out of the mindset of a sheeple. When you expect the SHTF any day then that is the most important preparation tactic I can think of.

If you want to get people of like mind together, talk stuff over, perhaps do some training, don't label it a "SHTF seminar" or start talking like a survivalist, even if we all are one. Personally, I prefer the guise of a Zombie Outbreak. While sounding insane, it sounds TOO insane, and therein lies its beauty. You get together people that are generally more intelligent than your average person, have an imagination, are at least thinking about survival. As one person has said, if you can survive a zombocalypse, you can survive anything.

There are various groups out there, such as the Zombie Squad that are actually a survivalist group under the guise of zombie hunters.

It may help for you to write a kind of flowchart like the one I have above, taking into account any scenario that could be labelled SHTF. Zombies, JBT, aliens, take it all into account. As well as being entertaining, it also gets you to think outside the square and you might catch stuff that you would miss if you were just thinking about global economic collapse.

Edit: As with most long posts, the conversation proceeds as you write it.

Some of the books that NBK gets into may be of use to know before the SHTF. Getting hold of things such as "The Spider and the Starfish", "48 Law's of Power", NBK's own "RTPB" as well as "Propaganda and the Art of the Spin" may be an idea. Looking at past conflicts where the hearts and minds part has been almost as important as the battle itself (Iraq and Afghanistan immediately spring to mind). Look at historical conflicts where entire nations have been conquered and the conquerors either had some serious problems with constant uprisings, or they managed to placate the populace. Either will tell you a great deal. Some classical books such as "The Prince" as well as "The Art of War", while being old, give great insight into the human psyche and will be invaluable when the SHTF.

mike-hunt
July 22nd, 2008, 09:49 PM
When the shit comes down what will be the next new currency ? All that cash burred in our backyards will suddenly be worthless .Historically the biggest cause of death in wartime is not bullets or bombs but disease and infection . We should be stockpiling antibiotics vaccines, morphine ect, now. An investment in a few hundred dollars of penicillin now could be worth enough to feed an army in the future.

billo
August 6th, 2008, 06:08 AM
NBK2000 had put up a list on the stuff that is required for an all out war scenario. He is a magician who thought about the todays world, 20 years ago.
A list needs to be prepared according to the city/ town a person lives in, with the temperature bearings, seasons and the terrain being a counting factor. There are a lot of places which can be purchased which are out of the town areas and SAFE from the CROWDS wanting to plunder every possible thing even if they dont want it.
I had read a book named "Build a safe and smart home", with a home made partially inside the ground; 65% underground with FOUR strong rooms a/w bathrooms and their septic tanks. Four common living rooms with AIR passage built in such a manner that air can be taken in from various places placed well hidden. It is a long lecture book BUT with EVERY line of book with some information in it. it is pretty hard to digest in first reading and is only for those who are planning and working on constructing such a home.
Unfortunately I had to format the HDD and lost the book, and havent been able to find it anywhere. If anyone could find it please do so. the 1165 pages are well worth a reading.

__________________________________________________ ________________________
Never argue with an IDIOT, he will drag you to his level and beat you with his experience.

Alexires
August 7th, 2008, 01:27 AM
I can not find any mention of that book on google. Are you sure that is the name of the book?

Can't find any mention of the book at all, anywhere. Sounds like it has the stuff you need to know in it.