View Full Version : A strange turnaround...

Red Beret
July 23rd, 2008, 08:26 AM
Here in good old australia, us "gun nuts" generally dont get our way, but, recently, a bill has been put to parliament, which if passed will allow gun owners to have pump and semi auto shotguns again, and also, no "28 day wait" on second and consecutive firearms.

It looks as though it will pass, and will also change a few other minor things, such as, registration of pre 1900 firearms.

Were hardly getting our SKS's and AR15's back but it's a step in that direction.

Also, while the number of gun licence holders has dropped in the past seven years, the total number of privately owned guns is up dramatically! Rock n Roll!

Any other aussie gun owners here? If there are, buy as many guns as you can, makes it harder for those thieving henchmen to take our guns. And makes them generally more fearfull of us. Buy up lads!!

Rbick
July 23rd, 2008, 10:06 AM
Well I'm not Aussie but I am glad to hear that! Perhaps the government is realizing how retarded it is to have gun control to that degree after seeing a dramatic rise in crime. Do you think you'll be getting your ARs and SKS rifles back? If so, kudos to you :cool:

Bugger
July 23rd, 2008, 10:48 AM
Here in New Zealand, where the Pigs control gun licensing, gun owners (excluding those owning only airguns and crossbows etc.) need to be licensed, but not individual firearms. Only possession of sporting rifles and shotguns is generally permitted, except for the Pigs themselves and the military. Automatic rifles, grenades, machine-guns, artillery, etc. are prohibited except for the Pigs and the military. Semi-automatic rifles can be possessed, but their importation for general sale was prohibited a few years ago. Licenses to possess pistols (defined as anything shorter than 31 cm) are granted only under special circumstances, e.g. members of pistol-shooting clubs (from the premises of which pistols must not be removed), movie-making (under Pig supervision), and antique firearms collectors. All guns are required to be kept in secure locked cabinets when not in use.

festergrump
July 23rd, 2008, 10:50 AM
I'll raise my cup to you, surely. I pray it's not a move of your gov to stage an "act" to show why we "subjects" (which is how they view us) should be disarmed completely...

I don't mean to rain on a happy parade, I am just wary of such a move. It's SO unexpected.

Could people possibly be waking up around the world?! I do hope so! :) Oh, I do hope people of Australia move on this... There's no time to waste!

Thorald
July 23rd, 2008, 12:24 PM
Like Rbick I'm not Australian but it is fantastic news, if it is passed of course...

It is things like these that allow the 'Gates to Open' for other possible 'Bills' to be put to the Australian Parliament.

Two fingers crossed that it will eventually be passed.

TheSavageHyena
July 23rd, 2008, 02:02 PM
Although I do not know Australian politics I gather they may be similar to Canadian ones. That being said, I must agree with Fester for the simple fact that these are the same governments who try so hard to disarm us.

If that is not the case here, then I applaud you and your people for pushing forward with your right to arms. I wish Canadians would adopt the brains and the balls of our Southern Brothers in regards to gun control. I refuse to 'license' any firearm because I feel I don't need to ask for permission from anyone :p. I do not want to give them that satisfaction. Not to mention here, one opens the front door to the gov, and must remain as transparent as possible to them.

On that note I hope backward countries like ours adopt the Israeli and American approach to bear arms. And immigration (israeli), however that is another thread on its own so I will remain on topic. Review countries with favorable gun 'laws' and those are the countries who truly have no fear empowering and loving their citizens.

Alexires
July 24th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Red Beret - Do you have a reference for this? I can hardly believe it.

Like fester, it sounds too good to be true. I would have normally said that there is no way we would get SKS's and AR15's back, but then again, the very existence of such a bill listed above is just as inconceivable so maybe we will....eventually.

Red Beret
July 24th, 2008, 03:22 AM
Yes, thats a good point festergump. I'm a little wary myself. I think there may be a catch that you have to be a member of a clay target club. Who cares really, just join one to get the toys. I know I will be.

Alexires; I do have a reference, but I'm short on time to track the URL, however if you look up the shooters party homepage, it will be on there somewhere.

All Australians should join the SSAA (Sporting Shooters Association of Australia), and or the shooters party.

These are the guys representing us in paliament and working hard for us to gain more rights, and guns. Any cahnce you get, make sure you tell people how the greens party are extremist nuts, and can't be trusted to make rational choices.

Kaydon
July 24th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I'll raise my cup to you, surely. I pray it's not a move of your gov to stage an "act" to show why we "subjects" (which is how they view us) should be disarmed completely...

I don't mean to rain on a happy parade, I am just wary of such a move. It's SO unexpected.

Could people possibly be waking up around the world?! I do hope so! :) Oh, I do hope people of Australia move on this... There's no time to waste!

I do believe people are slowly waking from their slumber.

I'd be wary of it as well myself, but I'd definitely waste no time moving on it.

Alexires
July 27th, 2008, 04:26 AM
http://www.shootersparty.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=119&Itemid=1

After reading their summary on the site, it doesn't look too fantastic. Certainly it is a victory for gun owners, but it appears that it is just some minor wording changes to the legislation. The most significant change is

Access to Category C shotguns for certain target shooters

The bill amends Section 17A of the Act to allow members of clubs affiliated with shooting bodies approved by the Commissioner of Police, and who have a special need, to apply for a special Category C licence authorising the person to use a self-loading or pump action shotgun in a recognised clay target shooting competition. Currently only members of the Australian Clay Target Association or clubs affiliated with it may have access to Category C shotguns for competition purposes in New South Wales. Western Australia, Victoria and Queensland have already extended this access to include people competing in shooting disciplines beyond those administered by the Australian Clay Target Association.

From what I gleaned, it only applies to NSW which is a bit of a pity.

Red Beret
July 29th, 2008, 11:21 PM
I am dissapointed too. My local gun dealer must have it wrong.

Thats bullshit, why should you need a medical reason to own a pump or autoloader! I'll be getting the lever shotgun now, fuck this shit, I'm bloody fed up with these gun laws.

festergrump
July 30th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Medical reason? Maybe the term "special need" threw you off? I'm just guessing.

I guess ALL percussion sixguns are out, reproduction as well as originals, huh?

What constitutes an "obsolete cartrige", I wonder? Good luck if it has to be original, both finding one for sale and affording it. Even Repros have a hefty pricetag if you're looking at anything worth shooting, IMHO, but I took the article to mean only original. I hope I was wrong, though...

Red Beret
July 31st, 2008, 02:45 AM
Yeah sorry, special need, not medical. I dont really know what constitutes a special need? How about this, because I fucking want one!

I'll chase it up but at the moment it doesnt really seem worth it. I'd have to join a clay club, enter competition, then prove I have a special need. Even if I got one I can't take it out in the field.

I'll have to read into that pre 1900 no registration stuff, haven't really looked at it.

festergrump
July 31st, 2008, 03:23 AM
If it were up to me, "because I fucking want one!" is good enough. I'd even make sure you got a tax break if it was your first... :)

Assuming you got a membership with the club and started competition, does that mean you can't take your gun home? Or use it in the field? I thought you just had to be registered and have background checks and all. You folks can't even hunt down there?

I'm confused now.

Red Beret
August 4th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Yeah we can hunt down here. It's very popular actually. If I did join a club, compete, meet requirements and get a pump, I can take it home, in fact, I pretty much have to. But, no, I cant use it in the field. Thats so fucked. It's rediculous!!

Code Red
August 5th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Actually, I'm pretty sure the amendment will allow owners of the pump action shotgun to use it in other shooting disciplines than clay pigeon shooting.

Meaning, you will be able to buy and own a pump action for target practice and vermin control.

Vermin control = hunting, so taking it out in the field will be ok.

Just join the SSAA, or any hillbilly hunting club for proof of hunting/target club.

I know the firearms registry set up "minimum attendance" records, to make sure you actually need the firearm for the reason you stated, but in my experience, clubs hardly ever care for it, and the registry doesn't police it.
The less "professional" and more laid back club you join, the better it is. No hassles and do as you please, when it comes to actually turning up to the club.

Using a 12 guage shotgun for target shooting sounds rather stupid to me, although it would be fun!

Red Beret
August 10th, 2008, 01:23 AM
The 12ga is for clay target shooting.

NO, they WON'T allow you to use it for ANY OTHER PURPOSE THAN CLAY TARGET SHOOTING. And they do police the minimum attendance, you have to send in proof that you've been shooting at the club on an annual basis. My mate had his licence suspended because he hadn't met the minimum attendance.

If you get caught using you clay target shotgun in the field, you will be in trouble.

Please don't post comments if you don't know the facts you are quoting are 100% correct. You could land someone in a lot of trouble.

Code Red
August 13th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I post on my own experiences.

I legally own pistols, and use them for target practice... which by "law" is the only reason I can actually use them for.

I have lots and lots of times taken them on a property, fired them and even hunted with them. NEVER had any hassles, even with the property owners knowing I'm carrying a pistol.

It's private property, so who really cares?!?! It's not like I can rob somebody or commit serious crimes on 500 acres of hilly land!

I've been a member of 4, that's right... 4 clubs. NOT ONE has ever questioned me about my poor attendance record. When I say poor, it's not the amount which the government wants, that's all. I try my best, but fuck, I have a life and a busy work schedule.

There are members in my current club (2 whom are very good friends) who have been at the range less than 5 times in 18 months. Hell.... I'd say in 2 years.

They still own their pistols, and HAVE NEVER had any issues. They turn up to pay the club fees, talk with other members... then see 'ya later!

So mate, the rule isn't policed well, that's for sure.

Even the SSAA would send reminders for longarm owners... all you do is ignore them if you like, nothing ever happens with them either.

Are you N.S.W based? I highly doubt it's changed much, but do you know what the registry looks like and is operated by in Murwillumbah?

This is all from my personal experience, and of others I know. If somebody wants to question me, go right ahead.

[EDIT] More information.. As of October 1st, those in NSW who hunt in a club and hold a permit for that only, will no longer need to the annual "2 times" club events.

Also, a 12ga shotgun CAN be used for hunting (pump and self loading cause issues, only if caught), double barrel, under/over etc is ok.

Alexires
August 15th, 2008, 08:32 AM
pump and self loading cause issues, only if caught

I love that, very true.

I can't see the government getting off its fat ass and actually checking everyone. Sort of like drink driving. They try and put the fear of god into you, but I've only ever been pulled over once in the past 4 years and that was for a quick license check.

Doesn't mean you should do it *cough cough*. Then again, all cats are grey in the dark, eh?