View Full Version : Friend accidentally shot himself....with a gun that I sold him.

SafetyLast
July 28th, 2008, 01:55 PM
There's a lesson to be learned here for sure.
I got a call while at work yesterday from a friend that was in the hospital.
It wasn't such a surprise to me due to the fact that this particular friend had been hospitalized about a dozen times in the seven years that I've known him. He's a very unsafe sort, 22 years old, no braincells to speak of, the kind of guy you see doing 110 in a school zone.

It seems that he had accidentally shot himself with the .22lr rifle that I had sold him the day before. Luckily he had the muzzle pointed down and only managed to hit just above the knuckle of his middle toe. Now he might lose the toe and will have to endure physical therapy for a month or so. The gun was confiscated by the police, but it's not in my name so I'm not really sure what to expect. Hopefully johnny law won't come knockin' Here's the moral of the story, don't sell guns to accident prone idiots who don't know what gun safety is. I wish I had thought before doing this, but I needed the money. What are your thoughts on this?

Hitech_Hillbilly
July 28th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Well, it largely depends on where you live. On a national scale in the U.S., it is perfectly legal to sell a rifle to someone as long as that person is 18 years of age, and you reasonably believe that they can legally own a firearm. Same is true for a handgun if person is 21 yrs of age.

Local laws may vary.

phrankinsteyn
July 28th, 2008, 03:39 PM
SafetyLast,

Do you live in the USA? (If you don't this may not be much help.)
It is legal in the USA to own a rifle.

What state and city?
You need to check your state and city laws for "special requirements. Gun card, registration, etc.

Are you and he both over 18?
You don't want to be charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Again check you state laws.

Can this person legally own a firearm?
Known drug addict, mental illness, felon; Check the federal gun laws for other requirements (you can probably find them on line).

Was the gun legal?
Not stolen (to your knowledge) or illegally modified in any way?

If questioned by police: Don't lie and ask to speak to a lawyer (and if you are charged get one because you cannot afford not to).

And there is always the possibility of a civil lawsuit brought against you by your friend(?).

I have been down that road a few times myself. I hope this helps some. :)

SafetyLast
July 28th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Yes i'm in the US. He's 22 I'm 24. To the best of my knowledge the gun was legal.
He was shooting in a residential area within city limits which is illegal. That's probably why the gun was confiscated I think I should be fine legally, it's just a shame that it happened. I don't know why I associate with such reckless people....

Hirudinea
July 28th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Well look on the bright side, since he just shot himself in the toe this will be a learning experience for him, every time he looks at a gun he'll think of his missing little piggy and have respect for firearms.

Barnacles
July 29th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Not to start a war but way to be captain responsible and caring for your neighbours.

You sell a gun to a guy who by your admittance would be described as "very unsafe sort, 22 years old, no braincells to speak of, the kind of guy you see doing 110 in a school zone,the type you see and say to yourself, what can I do to get this guy a gun ."

*note the underlined was added by me as to show my view on how I think this phrase would've best been wrapped up.

Just curious, why on earth would you sell a guy like this a gun that just plain irresponsible. If he killed someone would that not have bothered you???

Ill refrain from further addressing this action, to prevent my banning and an off topic argument.

Vitalis
July 29th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Whoops! haha, this is classic. Next time sell him a poorly made handgun and instruct him to look into the barrel to make sure it's loaded. That will solve this particular problem once and for all.

22 years old and he shoots himself with a .22LR, awesome. Maybe if he survives to his 25th birthday he can blow his own head off with a .25 caliber?

Don't stand too close to this genius after you sell him firearms...