View Full Version : Comcast Guilty of Net Neutrality Violations

phrankinsteyn
August 3rd, 2008, 03:30 PM
I think I like this one :) :

"In the first major test of the FCC's (Federal Communications Commission) network neutrality principles, the agency found Comcast guilty Aug. 1 of secretly degrading network traffic. On a 3-2 vote, the FCC ordered Comcast to stop blocking traffic, disclose to the FCC the full extent of the cable giant's traffic practices and to keep the public informed of its future network management plans.

The FCC said Comcast violated the agency's Internet policy when it blocked P2P traffic by BitTorrent. The agency also found that Comcast misled consumers when it did not properly disclose its P2P policy."

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Government/Comcast-Guilty-of-Net-Neutrality-Violations/

Kaydon
August 5th, 2008, 02:35 PM
All these years I have been saying terrible things about Comcast and no one ever believed me, well now I have PROOF!

Bastards use Sandvine.

Mr Science
August 5th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I'm not sure if I talked about Sandvine here before, but there always was a way around it. What the program does is constantly inject RST (reset) packets into the user's torrent connection, effectively making you drop 80% of your peers no less than twice a minute. To fix this problem, you stop having your torrent client randomize ports on startup, and assign it a static port. Then, there was some program out there someone could download that modifies directory files I believe. Basically what you are doing is making port xxxxx (whatever you made it to be) completely ignore these RST packets, and continue torrenting.

If anyone does want more information regarding Comcast and how dishonest they were, go on a website called Torrent Freak, as there is easily a dozen articles about them, how they downplayed their torrent blocking as "traffic shaping" when confronted. Something I found most ironic is that the customer service reps at Comcast were threated with termination if they ever mentioned Sandvine to any of the customers! :rolleyes:

tapira1
September 6th, 2008, 07:53 PM
By the end of last year, the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) released a report containing analysis of Comcast's Internet traffic interference activities. The EFF's study provides strong evidence that Comcast is using packet-forging to disrupt P2P filesharing on their network.

For a copy of the report, see:
http://www.eff.org/files/eff_comcast_report.pdf