View Full Version : Scales, Cheap

Cobalt.45
August 4th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Advertised as =/- 0.01g accuracy w/100g capacity for $22 or 80g capacity for $20 delivered. http://cgi.ebay.com/100-x-0-01-GRAM-DIGITAL-POCKET-SCALE-JEWELRY-SCALES-ESS_W0QQitemZ170247044216QQihZ007QQcategoryZ34088Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This accuracy is recommended by common sense and the author of Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments by Robert Thompson. My current scale is =/- 0.1g accuracy:mad:

Catch is, it's on eBay:(

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with, nor have I done any business (yet), with this seller.

Hinckleyforpresident
September 15th, 2008, 01:45 AM
My experience with eBay scales has been generally positive. My first (.1g accuracy, 250g cap) died after a few months. After that, I bought 3 replacements (a .1, .01, and .001). Only one of them so far has failed (.01), and it was from me being rough with it. Mine are similar to the one that you linked to, but they are not exactly the same.

The scales check out with calibration weights, so they work perfectly fine.

Although yes, it is eBay, which is not the best place to get hardware. But I highly doubt that an investigation will ensue after someone buys a scale online.

rangegal
September 15th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I bought an extremely similar model from ebay, the SL-100A (your showing the EL 100A) for $20 (including shipping, actually the price advertised was $5, then when I bought it it turned out shipping is $15, which is funny because the postage on the package said it was a little more than $2. So I guess they switch the shipping price and the actual cost to make it look cheaper than it is... damn con artists.)

It has served me well the last few months I've owned it, although it almost got me expelled from school after my chem teacher let me calibrate it with his weights and the principle saw it and said it was "paraphernalia". One of my friends just got expelled for a similar reason, but he already has a record of drug use with the school, whereas I have a teacher vouching for me. I think its silly that a lab tool found in all our science classrooms becomes "paraphenilia" if it belong to a student.

Anyway, Looks like the only difference between yours and mine is mine has a metal weighing plate. Looks cooler :). The only thing I don't like about this brand of scale is they shut off after a minute if you don't touch it, which is alot quicker than you think it is when your experimenting. Even if you tare your weighing container, write down its weight before you start adding things, it will save you a little frustration. Look around more and I'm sure you can find one for $2 cheaper, if its worth it to you.

Cobalt.45
September 15th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Good to hear that you've had a good experience w/your SL-100A so far. Hard to understand the principle's thought process, though. Wadda dunce!:p

BTW, what kind of battery(s) does it take?

My first digital scale was the Cen-Tech #93543 from Harbor Freight. As I mentioned earlier, it has only 0.1g resolution but w/a 500g cap. Also, the plastic case isn't resistant to acetone.

And it's now up to ~$25 delivered in the US if no other items are purchased w/it (their S&H goes by the total price of your order, not weight). So it's no deal anymore IMO, but was less when I got mine (~$17 TL, IIRC).:(

Even so, it has served me well for 2+ years and has only recently had the orig. AAA batteries replaced. So well that I never get out my Ohaus 3-beam anymore...

But there's just something good about being able to get within 10mg of your targeted weight.:cool:

lucas
September 16th, 2008, 06:28 AM
I have three sets of electronic balances used for lab work and reloading work.

Two are brand name and one is a cheapy from ebay.

A And D make good balances and my 200g X.1g scales are reliable, hold calibration and work in every way very well. The topload oan is broad and full width of the balance. It is large enough for a measuring jug or ice cream tub. Around $200 a few years ago, they probably would cost less to replace these days, but I like than and they have lasted well. For home brewing beer and mixing pyro compositions, my A&D is my favourite balance.

My cheap 100g X .01g micro balance was around $20 + shipping and does not hold calibration when powered down. They came with calibration weights and are suitable for reloading and lab-work where resolution is more important than absolute accuracy. Being portable is their main advantage over a better balance. I don't use them much, unless reloading at the range. These balances drift over time. If reloading for a while then checking powder charges later, I find that the indicated weight changes. They are no good for measuring weights less than about 0.1 gram either, they just show zero if the weight is less than 10 units of resolution from the tare weight. My cheapy isn't totally linear, that is two weights measured individually don't total what they weigh measured together.

When I took up competitive long range rifle shooting, I bought an expensive lab balance from Ohaus. The are 210g X .001 gram or .02 grains. They were about $800 and are not a toy. The have ability to calibrate at multiple weights to ensure linearity of calibration. They, like all similar products have a built in glass cage to protect from air currents. I wanted them so that I could be sure than when I reload ammo this week and then in a month, 45.5 grains is 45.5 grains again, not 46.1 all of a sudden.

To be honest I probably didn't need my new balance, but I wanted the peace of mind to know my scales will not let me down.

The $20 ones are as good as anybody need buy for most relevant applications. I recommend them for anybody needing their first such balance.