View Full Version : Judo or JiuJitsu

Red Beret
August 5th, 2008, 12:59 AM
I have the option of training in Judo or Will Macahdo Jiujitsu, which is basically Brazillian Jiujitsu.

If you have experience in either of these for street tactics, putting people down for good, please advise as to which is better.

I have done a little of the jiujitsu class, but it is ALL ground work, with the option of going to a third class to do some Muai thai and wrestling.

Should I do Judo twice a week and do a bit of jijitsu on the side? Or is judo mor suited to street fighting? Obviously there are things in bothe styles you wouldn't do on the street, such as leg locks and such, unless you knew the attcker had no back up around.

Jiujitsu is good in UFC and the like, but on the hard ground on the street, you may find it difficult to perform some of the groundwork which is comfortable on the "soft" floor of the ring.

I want to commit to a real world situation syle so I'm not wasting time and money.

Thanks.

phrankinsteyn
August 5th, 2008, 02:40 AM
I would practice both if I had the opportunity. Judo will help with your strength and endurance. Jiu Jitsu will help with joint locks and if you ever want to do a little security work: i.e. bouncer in a bar/pub it will come in handy, especially if you have "back up" someone to hold him/her as you do a little joint manipulation. :) I believe they would complement each other. I would also suggest a striking art, boxing, or any other type that you enjoy, because judo and jiu jitsu do not have many striking techniques. I believe it is strikes that count (real world) and the rest is icing on the cake. :) I believe Muai thai (striking) and wrestling would complement each other also; but I do not have any personal experience with Muai thai, only what I have seen on TV.

Always try to strike before attempting most flipping or joint locking techniques.
Practice both (judo, jiu jitsu) as many times a week as you can. It is like anything else the more you practice the better you become.

hickey
August 5th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Judo and jujitsu may have become spectator sports due to proliferation of UFC type martial arts competition where there is much ground fighting. This leaves a bad impression to people whose only purpose of learning martial arts is for self defense and not for competition purposes.:(

Although there are some good jujitsu fighters really,, but they are well skilled in their craft and have stronger bodies . I have seen a few neophyte judo /jujitsu practitioners ( small body frame)being beaten down by big bodied muggers.. Do you want that to happen to you?
If you can hit the guy at his vulnerable points from a distance then why waste time with full body contact action….You will never know that there are bad guys that have a smattering of ground fighting skill and you will be at a loss if you are cocky enough to tangle with then as they are likely huge and strong .:rolleyes:

Always keep in mind the rule: The shortest distance between two points is a straight line.Hitting your assailant hard on his sensitive points is more valuable than trying to wrestle and grapple with him :cool:

Besides in real life combat situation, instincts counts more than well thought action, if you are trained in grappling, then your instincts will be on that kind of combat; if you are trained in hitting your opponent then that will be your instantaneous action. There is less energy used in hitting an opponent (than grappling) to disable him. Besides if your able to throw your opponent in the ground do you think in all likelihood that they will not get up? Someone will as I have proven in the past by being gentle on some asshole …:(

To end the combat immediately and not waste my time and strength;as he tried to lunge at me again I simultaneously broke his kneecap with sharp side kick and his nose with a straight punch. Just two strikes in a split second (which brought him down to the ground permanently), which is quicker than trying to throw him to the ground again!:cool:

If you are just impressed with these UFC type grappling; then go for it, practice jujitsu or judo or even wrestling then possibly train for the Olympics !:D

jd6p182
August 5th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I was a tall lanky kid in high school, judo helped me put some meat on my skinny frame and keep my head up when other kids tried to intimidate me.
Some tried to push me around but that did not last long because I would , without effort, make them fall on the ground.:D

I have been working as a correctional officer for the last 19 years, and I have had my share of fights. judo has helped me a lot to keep me on my two feet.

Last year I started aiki-jujitsu (Takeda lineage) to better my understanding of standing joint locks.

Whatever you chose HAVE FUN;) and concentrate on one sport the first few years. You better be good in one art than 50% good in two martial arts.

October 10th, 2008, 09:20 AM
You've probably already chosen by now, but if not I'd say - whichever is cheaper. They're both great. Judo would be better, I think, as a primary art, since in any sort of fighting situation you're better off throwing your opponent and getting the fuck out than grappling too extensively - you end up spending way more time in one spot than you want to and there's no plausible deniability when you very precisely snap both your opponent's arms. However, I'm a BJJ man myself, and I don't regret focusing on that first.

jlwilliams
October 12th, 2008, 08:32 PM
This is something I have some experience in. I have practised Karate for most of my life and cross trained with a bit of Judo, Jiu Jitsu, Boxing and whatever else anybody wanted to show me. Though there have been some valid points made about striking, grappling, sport verses street and so forth. I want to bring up something that is of paramount importance. The most important thing you need to consider when choosing the Judo or the JiuJitsu training is the people you will be learning from and practicing with. The people and their approach to training is more important than the 'style' they teach. Take time to talk to them, talk about what you want to get out of it. Are their goals in line with yours? I have been to dojos where they are wholly focused on Judo for competition, and street survival mindsets and techniques are a waste of their time and a route to disqualification from matches. I have also been to Judo clubs where they are wholly focused on hard core ass whoopin' and don't bother wasting time on tournament rule following that would get them killed when fighting without rules. Same 'style', different people with different goals.

A couple of years ago I was involved with some great fighters who had a Jiu Jitsu club that incorporated striking and grappling and were safe and effective in their training. The two guys who ran the school also run the State Police Academy combatives program. Great guys, great coaches and we had some solid training untill we lost the space we were using when the building sold. If you want to be truly ready to protect yourself and yours, you need to grapple, strike, and use weapons from clubs to edged and firearms. As already pointed out, get a good foundation with either one of these groups you are considering (again, choose the group, 'style' is an illusory word) then maybe branch out into some boxing, Mui Tai or whatever. Join a gun club and learn to shoot, or practice if you already know how. Consider a Kali or Escrima class or seminar with some of your dojo buddies so you have people to practice with. Just go for it. Have fun and please let us know what you choose.

Hitech_Hillbilly
October 14th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Study both. Knowing how to handle yourself on the ground is essential. Knowing how to not end up there is even more important.

mrtnira
October 16th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I've done a lot of home work on both systems. My degree is in Asian history. And, I spent three years in Japan. Over the past 30 years, I've had a lot of opportunity to research the history of many systems. Judo was a pacified version of Jiu Jitsu (ju jutsu).

In a nut shell -- the really short version:

After the end of the Samuari period (end 1868), a lot of "martial arts" (traditional military skills) either had to change with the times or perish, or end up a minority school practiced by a handful of holdouts devoted to tradition. Many clan based schools simply faded into history. They no longer had dependable sponsorship by what formerly constituted the state (the defunct Tokugawa government).

In Judo's case, a guy named Kano changed Jiu Jitsu into a martial way (life practice for personal development). So, gone from judo are bone breaking joint locks of jiu jitsu. Gone are the punches. Gone are the open hand blows to the throat and other weak areas. Gone are the solid kicks. Gone are the nerve point strikes.

What remains is a physically challenging grappling system. Kano expected that practicing judo would help the judo man become a more moral human being, just the way some people think playing sports helps develop character.

Combat for the Samurai was ruthless and historical jiu jitsu reflects this. However, in today's society, you cannot role play a 19th Century samurai and expect the legal system to understand and grant you acceptance for your actions. Whatever responses you give to a confrontation must match the circumstance.

Fortunately, the military dictatorship of Japan (1945 end) slowed the decline of Japanese martial arts. Several highly trained classical fighters ended up in Europe in the 1920s, and they kept on there until the 1950s, training some Europeans in very historically accurate Jiu Jitsu. I believe Roland Hernaez was one of these fortunate people.

I recommend books by Roland Hernaez. His website is http://www.nihon-tai-jitsu.com/ It is in French, unfortunately. He's one of the old guys who had access to some classically trained Japanese.

Lastly, what is taught today in Jiu Jitsu is also minus the collateral weapons, short staff, rope work (for binding prisoners), etc. Most of us only have time for the basics. Trying to recreate the level of teaching that someone growing up in a military family would have experienced in Japan before 1868 is not realistic.

Neville
November 27th, 2008, 03:46 AM
Take the ability to fall to ground safely from judo and then go straight to BJJ. It rules MMA fights for a reason.

XnbX
December 1st, 2008, 05:54 PM
Take the ability to fall to ground safely from judo and then go straight to BJJ. It rules MMA fights for a reason.

The reason BJJ rules MMA is because the BJJ fighters are lethal when they are on the ground. But BJJ is AFAIK not like normal/traditional Jiu-Jitsu which does unlike BJJ include (more) stand-up. Judo is the derived from Jiu-jitsu, so i suggest to find a sport like Jiu-Jitsu with both stand-up and ground techniques.

Cuauhtemoc
December 2nd, 2008, 09:52 PM
Judo and Machado jiu jitsu(brazilian jiu jitsu) are basically the same thing,theoretically. You will learn the same techniques in both arts. But in jiu jitsu your focus will be on ground fighting while in judo you will focus more on stand-up throws.But you will also learn throws in bjj and ground fighting in judo.
Considering that it's hard to choose which art is better, but I personally prefer Brazilian Jiu Jitsu because I believe ground fighting is more important than elaborated throws. I mean, I know how to double-leg and do some simple judo throws like the osoto gari and I think that's enough, judo will put emphasis on a lot of throws that will be useful only in a tournament.

About street fighting, it may seem weird to use ground techniques on the concrete, but if you fight better than your opponent you will probably have the upper position(the mount preferably) and your enemy will be the only one felling the hard concrete while you ground and pound him.Also if he knows ground fighting and tackles you down it's important to know how to maintain the "guard" or else you will certainly get a good beating.