View Full Version : Man arrested for mere threats directed towards Obama

Kaydon
August 8th, 2008, 05:14 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/uselection2008/barackobama/2519869/Barack-Obama-death-threats-Man-charged.html

Raymond Hunter Geisel, 22, was arrested by the Secret Service in Miami at the weekend and is being held without bail.

If it were possible to arrest someone for threats, I think half the worlds population would be in prison at the moment. And so what if he has weapons and protection, so do I; doesn't make me an instant criminal.

Hirudinea
August 8th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Well there is such a law as "Uttering a Threat", but it only gets invoked if you threaten someone important.

Kaydon
August 8th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I know. I still don't think it's right or acceptable. I say it's a violation of free speech anyway you put it.

Bugger
August 9th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Here in New Zealand, threatening to kill and threatening to do GBH are offenses; but they are complete and prosecutable only if the threat is actually transmitted to the presumed intended victim party.

Alexires
August 9th, 2008, 01:51 AM
While it is fucked up that you can be arrested for threatening someone, threatening someone isn't really a smart thing to do anyway.

You let them know that you are (perhaps) planning something and that gives them a chance to prepare.

Soon we'll have people jailed for "name calling" ("You're a poo poo head!"). Funny though that when people say "I'm gonna ring the police" that isn't a threat, it is preventing crime. Hypocritical fuckers all of them.

Anformula
August 9th, 2008, 03:18 AM
In most areas of the USA now, uttering a threat of bodily harm is a crime if the "victim" can "reasonably" believe the act could be carried out. The charges are usually applied in domestic violence cases, and are among the greatest bullshit felonies on the books. He said/she said......

I know threatening the president is a crime that will lock you up for a while, and I presume that applies to other government officials/candidates too.... I dunno, I can see a need for government officials to be somewhat protected from this sort of thing. If there is a good and honest "public servant" left somewhere, there would still be a wacko around who would want to threaten them.

As someone mentioned, making threats of most kinds is so stupid. If you mean them, you have warned the target and shown intent and premeditation. If you don't mean them, you have set yourself up to be in the "wrong" whatever happens, and at best you look like a fool.

If I was a government official, I would be 1000X more afraid of the ones who say nothing.......

Genocyde
August 10th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Soon we'll have people jailed for "name calling" ("You're a poo poo head!"). Funny though that when people say "I'm gonna ring the police" that isn't a threat, it is preventing crime. Hypocritical fuckers all of them.

I was once arrested here in Georgia for calling my ex-wife a bitch. The charge was battery via verbal abuse. The dickhead pig asked me if I called her a bitch, I said "she is a bitch". That's when he got out the cuffs. Cost me about $400, and a few hours in the tank.

Alexires
August 10th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Genocyde - As must as she might have been a bitch, you broke 2 rules there (at least).

Rule 1 - Don't talk to the pork.
Rule 2 - Threats and name calling is useless and detrimental.

Technically, he should have hit you with the Miranda rights at some point before arresting you....

Read the RTPB (Rules to Profit By)

Jacks Complete
August 16th, 2008, 09:10 AM
If I was a government official, I would be 1000X more afraid of the ones who say nothing.......
That explains a lot.

ChippedHammer
August 16th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I want to kill George Bush, the president of the United States of America.

Does that make me a criminal?

festergrump
August 16th, 2008, 11:15 AM
WANT is the key word there, CH. Not a criminal but watched, surely.

IIRC, it used to be that if you had said that you WOULD or WILL you'd be up for charges, but then there used to be an if/then clause, too.

Example: "IF you harm George Bush THEN I will kill you." gives you and out to avoid my threat, therefore was not a crime... whereas "I will kill you for saying that." is definitely a threat which you cannot avoid, therefore was a crime. Things have changed here and this no longer applies. Everything is an act of terrorism now in the USA, it seems, even home chemistry experimentation. (http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?t=6311) :eek:

Also, what Bugger stated used to apply here in the USA but not anymore and especially not if the threat is to government officials and candidates for office. The fedgov will charge you and you must prove your innocence just like any other crime, but you'll be going up against the best prosecution in the country and there's a special place under Gitmo for you when you lose. (and you will lose).

Anformula
August 16th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I want to kill George Bush, the president of the United States of America.

Does that make me a criminal?

Since jurisdiction is a large part of law, it could not make you a criminal unless you are in the USA. Even then though, I am not sure how direct/specific/believeable a threat has to be, to be a "crime". But I do know in the USA you can be locked up for threatening the president.....

Another thing I know, is that various US security agencies use sophisticated engines to search the web for statements like the one you just made. I would not be surprised, if Bush traveled to wherever you are, that you just put yourself on a secret service "watch list". I don't think that is unlikely at all......

ChippedHammer
August 16th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Looks like when they roll out the red carpet for my next visit it will oddly lead to a small room with no windows complete with a big burly man :)