View Full Version : Medicines to stockpile

Hinckleyforpresident
August 11th, 2008, 12:47 AM
-Idea stemmed from SHTF thread-

In a post SHTF world, getting any medical treatment would probably be very difficult or impossible to get. As such, it would be very important to have a well stocked pharmacy at your disposal for whatever illnesses or problems you may encounter.

I have attached the World Health Organization's list of "essential medicines". I think that WHO's list is a good starting point for a person thinking of stockpiling medicines. Many of the compounds in the list are completely OTC, however some are not. However, I would imagine that some of the medicines that can't be purchased at the grocery store could be manufactured relatively simply.

Naturally, illegal compounds are not something to be stockpiled.

The main purpose of this thread is to brainstorm additional medicines to be stockpiled, to discuss compounds that could potentially be synthesized, and to discuss compounds on the list that are not really important.

joffe
August 11th, 2008, 05:30 AM
Tamiflu. That one will probably not be around when you need it. Unlesse, of course, your're in power or connected to someone who is.

Secong Nature
August 11th, 2008, 07:57 AM
If codiene is OTC in your area then stock up on codeine based painkillers. These are the strongest ones in my area and can be made into morphine if need be.

mushroomcloudlayinmofo
August 11th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Antibiotics...

Although anyone who has read Coffee's "Ditch Medicine" would be aware that granulated sugar and honey are strong topical antibiotics, sometimes something a little stronger may be required.

Tetracycline is a reasonably broad spectrum antibiotic and is available at aquarium supplies stores because it works on fish too. It is available over the counter in most countries.

+1 on the codeine. I believe that in South Africa or New Zealand (can't quite remember which) homebrew heroin was made from codeine based OTC painkillers. Morphia is not far from heroin.

TreverSlyFox
August 16th, 2008, 12:09 AM
It might be a good thing to know that most Medicine expiration dates can be ignored in a SHTF case. Most medicines will work up to 10 - 12 years beyond their expiration dates with even half ass storage conditions.

James
August 16th, 2008, 02:54 AM
I read a Y2k survival book a while back, which suggested one might buy vetrinary medicines and check their true effective span with a vetrianarian. Which might help a little.

thelasttrueone
August 16th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Penicillin would be a very important antibiotic. I have been searching here, erowid and google for information on it's manufacture. So far I have found nothing except that it originates from mold. Could it be as simple as placing a mold spore on a petri dish covered in agar?

Alexires
August 17th, 2008, 01:45 AM
thelasttrueone - Have a look for WWII records of how they made it. While it does come from a specific mold, getting enough of it might be an issue.

Vet medicines are the way to go. They have all kinds of groovy stuff that normal doctors don't have lying around. Either that or you can get stuff from mehico!

Hinckleyforpresident
August 17th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Could it be as simple as placing a mold spore on a petri dish covered in agar?

It comes from the Penicillium chrysogenum fungus. It appears as a blue green mold that commonly grows on foods, such as bread. Also, penicillin is a secondary metabolite of the fungus, so you have to make the mold feel "threatened" to produce any notable amount of the antibiotic.

If anyone successfully makes a penicillin bioreactor, please, start a thread about it. That's exactly the type of medication that could save your life in a SHTF scenario.

Bugger
August 18th, 2008, 11:50 AM
It comes from the Penicillium chrysogenum fungus. It appears as a blue green mold that commonly grows on foods, such as bread. Also, penicillin is a secondary metabolite of the fungus, so you have to make the mold feel "threatened" to produce any notable amount of the antibiotic.That is the same species of mold as is used in making blue vein and English Stilton cheese, and I think also Italian gorgonzolla cheese.

mike-hunt
August 21st, 2008, 07:57 AM
The following medicinal plants may be useful in a S.H.T.F. Scenario .
It would be desirable to cultivate them in several different easily accessible arias to minimize being cut off from a ready supply.

Tea tree (Melaleuca Alternifolia) - Tea tree oil contains constituents called terpenoids, which have been found to have antiseptic and anti fungal activity. The compound terpinen-4-ol is the most abundant and is thought to be responsible for most of tea tree oil's anti microbial activity.

Aloe vera - useful for burns and bruises

Opium poppy- (Papaver Somniferum) opium gum used raw or processed into morphine as a pain killer

Mimosa tenuiflora - the powered bark is used in Mexican folk medicine to treat burns inflammations and wounds it was successfully used to treat victims of a 1992 gas explosion and an earthquake in 1985.

On a completely different subject but worth remembering Super Glue was used in place of sutures for emergency medical procedures in times of war.

Alexires
August 21st, 2008, 08:27 AM
Willow bark is another common natural drug that one would be able to find around the place. The bark contains Salicylic acid which we would probably be more familiar with in Aspirin (Acetyl Salicylic Acid). It is a anti inflammatory and its infusions can be used to help lower fevers (Willow Bark tea).

TheSavageHyena
August 22nd, 2008, 02:43 AM
Anticholergenics should be harvested as well. They open up the airways and could be used for respiratory problems. A popular source is from the all too common Datura/Nightshade plants. Very hardy and easy to identify and have moderate doses of atropine and scopolomine. Also used to treat diarrhea since it slows down bowel movement. Dose properly since this plant has been abused and unintentionally used to get high.

Hinckleyforpresident
August 22nd, 2008, 02:38 PM
If willow bark couldn't be found, one could use wintergreen leaves. They contain small amounts of methyl salicylate, which can be used as a substitute for aspirin.

Cobalt.45
September 30th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Lets not forget vitamins.

Shame to survive a holocaust, then succumb to scurvy or some other vitamin-related disease. A good OTC multi-vitamin/mineral supplement can be bought cheaply, if you go w/a generic brand. Only need to take them half as often as the directions say, maybe less unless your diet really sucks.

pradb
November 3rd, 2008, 07:08 AM
Willow bark is another common natural drug that one would be able to find around the place. The bark contains Salicylic acid which we would probably be more familiar with in Aspirin (Acetyl Salicylic Acid). It is a anti inflammatory and its infusions can be used to help lower fevers (Willow Bark tea).

Though one should understand the risks of aspirin which are not widely acknowledged. Better use paracetamol against fevers and minor cases like headaches etc. Aspirin increases the risk of internal bleeding at doses as low as 100mg while most OTC products contain 200-500mg. Gastro internal bleedings are way more serious and painful then fever/headaches.

Cuauhtemoc
November 4th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Anticholergenics should be harvested as well. They open up the airways and could be used for respiratory problems. A popular source is from the all too common Datura/Nightshade plants. Very hardy and easy to identify and have moderate doses of atropine and scopolomine. Also used to treat diarrhea since it slows down bowel movement. Dose properly since this plant has been abused and unintentionally used to get high.

Yes, they`re also used to treat some very and I mean very painful cramps in the digestive system.
I had gastroenteritis this year and it was the most painful experience I had so far, but it got instantly better after I took some buscopan which is made from daturas.

servidor
November 22nd, 2008, 05:27 PM
For more than 30 years I’ve relied in natural medicine only except dentist... to whom I surrender (she, I always prefer she as a dentist) with no complains to their magic.
Else, codeine, for all and even soul pain, aloe vera has a potent bactericide and healing power for any kind of exposing tissue wounds. Penicillin roqueforti, my favorite.
I’m not updated with acronym, what mean SHTF ? ( English is not my mother language).
Learning basic stitch is easy, practice usually done in remote surfing beaches.
;)

SHTF = shit hits the fan

-Hinckleyforpresident