View Full Version : Having trouble understanding the plans? - Archive File

Anthony
March 17th, 2003, 08:51 PM
Azazel
Frequent Poster
posted February 02, 2001 11:25 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ok so most of us here would have seen or had access to plans on building firearms from scratch!
Often at times i pull out these plans, look them over once but put them away because i have trouble understanding how the trigger assembly works or how this or that works...
so why not make up a little discussion on all of this...

if you have any links or sites that you know of which have good definitions of the parts which make up a firearm [bolt, firing pin, trigger assmebly, sear, hammer] or has nice cut away diagrams, please paste the link on here.
If you know how to rifle barrels and all the equipment needed to do this please feel free to give your opinion or explanation....
Even if you have seen somebody make one or have had any experiences please feel free to share your knowledge.
ANY INFORMATION OF SUCH NATURE TO DO WITH FABRICTION OR WORKINGS OF A FIREARM please paste it here...

im currently looking over .22 machine pistol plans... interesting but even after reading it like 4 times, i cant work out how the trigger assembly works darn it !

The Real
Frequent Poster
posted February 02, 2001 11:40 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't think I've seen good plans for a making a complete firearm. I have seen good plans though for auto sears and conversion templates.
<a href="http://www.araby-dalbo.com/users/1196/161/ruger.html" target="_blank">http://www.araby-dalbo.com/users/1196/161/ruger.html</a>
that site if remember correctly has some drawings for full auto parts for the ruger 10/22.

Conversion are much easier than building guns from scratch. I onced helped out a guy that is a Class 2 gunsmith, I observed make a few legal conversions of Ruger 10/22's, 3 AK's and 1 SKS. The SKS was the easiest, the disconnector is located on the underside of the hammer and just sheared off. A piece of metal is welded on the trigger frame to prevent the sear from falling. In that manner the sear is engaged as long as the trigger is pulled and it the weapon keeps firing. Don't try anything with a Marlin 60, pretty hard to figure out.

Azazel
Frequent Poster
posted February 18, 2001 12:38 AM
thanx for the help bro
any other sites people ?

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted February 18, 2001 12:38 PM
One way you could try to rifle a barrel is to place something in side the barrel with the pattern of rifling that you want. Then you heat up the steel and hit hit the outside of the barrel. This will force it to fill the grooves and leave you with a rifling.
This just an Idea.

------------------
A wise man once said:
"...I Am Not Much of a Dancer But,
Just Wait Till The Fucking Begins"

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

Anthony
posted February 18, 2001 07:16 PM
Imagine the pressure required to do that! Isn't that how they cold form barrels nowdays? Simply squeeze trhe barrel around a "mould"?

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted February 18, 2001 09:50 PM
I think the person that told me about it said it was a Europian method(originally).

------------------
A wise man once said:
"...I Am Not Much of a Dancer But,
Just Wait Till The Fucking Begins"

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

HMTD Factory
Frequent Poster
posted February 18, 2001 10:44 PM
It's called "hammer forge"
A Ruger 10/22 Target model has a hammer forged barrel.(So does a CZ 75)
Hammer forge actually hammer a block of steel
into a barrel. There are multiple hammers striking at the same time. Because the barrel is pre-stressed, so there's no stress
problem in the barrel. It's also a cheaper process but it doesn't beat botton rifling.

BaDSeeD
Frequent Poster
posted February 19, 2001 04:07 AM
Thats button rifling HMTD
------------------
BaDSeeD
Knowledge is the true power, ignorrance will bring your demise.

HMTD Factory
Frequent Poster
posted February 19, 2001 01:13 PM
I am glad I didn't say "bottom" rifling.

Bitter
Frequent Poster
posted February 19, 2001 01:24 PM
I suppose you had best leave 'bottom rifling' to that Tyrone chap.

angelo
Frequent Poster
posted February 19, 2001 11:43 PM
Azazel... a tip, don't start with an automatic firearm straight away...
i started to make the 9mm submachine gun that p.a luty devised. although the method is supposed to be simple it is quite hard.

i suggest you start your self from the bottom and work your way up.

i started by making my own knives, then my own swords, then worked up to a bow and arrow, then a crossbow. and now i am making a single shot shot gun. i don't know how far i will go.

i suggest you go and find a machine shop somewhere, and ask if you could learn the basics, like welding, soldering, cutting and bending metal. i went to a furniture manufacturer and i started to help the technicians repairing the machines, once i gained some trust they taught me all this stuff i did not know about. its brilliant.

oh yeah and by the way, look out for plans on my single shot shotgun

I_am_the_Black_one
April 29th, 2003, 03:05 AM
You can rifle your own barrels with a lathe with a few improvised bits if any one is interested I Can wip up a few diagrams it also depends on the twist you have to make a few parts to slow down the speed of the lathe this is also theroretically possable to be done with a drill press