View Full Version : Seriously cool gun

Charlie Workman
July 29th, 2002, 03:40 AM
Ran across this one and had to share it with you guys-
<a href="http://www.swivelmachine.com" target="_blank">www.swivelmachine.com</a>
What they have done is adapted a .22 rifle to fire 16" aluminum crossbow bolts. They claim a velocity of over 450 fps. and an accuracy of 1" at 50 yards. I did an overview check of their patents, but they seem to only cover the airpowered version. From what I've seen it seems to be a modified form of spigot launcher. They replace the stock barrel with one that will chamber common industrial blanks, but not bulleted cartridges. The bore is choked down increase the velocity of the gas flow. This is also necessary, as the OD of the spigot barrel must fit into the hollw shaft of an aluminum arrow. I don't know what this is. There is an outer tube, .920 OD, ID unknown, which covers the entire arrow. You apparently have to roll the fins to fit them in. Noise level is said to be half of a conventional rimfire. They provide barrels for the Ruger 10/22 and 77/22. This makes me wonder how or if the 10/22 action remains closed with such an increase in back pressure. It has potential for experimentation, or at least just fucking around. I've got a couple of Romanian M1969 trainers that could be obvious candidates. Any thoughts?

PYRO500
July 29th, 2002, 04:10 AM
While I like the idea of a crossbow arrow flying through the air at those speeds while being in an accurate rifle configuration, I like the idea that they travel less than sonicc speed and while doing alot of damage also are subsonic and not as loud.

I searched the entire page and I found that one of the pages had these four patents on the bottom:
#4,890,597 #5,086,749 #2,218,786 #1,332, 686

<small>[ July 29, 2002, 03:11 AM: Message edited by: PYRO500 ]</small>