View Full Version : Crossbows in Australia - Archive File

Anthony
March 17th, 2003, 08:54 PM
Crux
Frequent Poster
posted February 06, 2001 11:12 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i was just searching the web and found a site that sells cross bows in australia they sell air rifles and cross bows and say you need a licence for the air rifles but say nothing about the cross bows i thought that cross bows were illigal in australia maybe not in victoria i dunno any way if you wanna have a look i's at <a href="http://www.alcockandpierce.com.au/index.htm" target="_blank">http://www.alcockandpierce.com.au/index.htm</a>

ST
Frequent Poster
posted February 06, 2001 11:30 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They are only illegal in NSW, where you need a prohibited weapon permit.

angelo
Frequent Poster
posted February 07, 2001 10:59 PM
in vic you can buy them from any army/hunting/disposals store.
but they cost abit, cheaper to make it yourself

------------------
angelo's place
have a good link? add it here

Azazel
Frequent Poster
posted February 18, 2001 12:21 AM
Im obsessed with crossbows
i love them
Alcock and Pierce sell the best ones around
Horton brand crossbows. Top notch shit.
BUT you should never hold on the fact that they arent illegal... the way i see it is that they arent illegal, YET..
see i used to own a pistol crossbow. At the time 4 years back they were legal in Victoria but now, hahaha cant even buy em with a liscence.
So my point if u interested in one get one before they put a permit on them.

Best of all only need to be 18 to buy one.. just get ure older brother or sum cunt to get it for you if you are underage... and they can take down bears and buffalo... all you need next is jurassic park and a T rex and youv got ureself a huntin trip !!!

I_am_the_Black_one
April 29th, 2003, 01:54 AM
Does any one know how many LB's pull weight would be suitable for combat and what tips I have a document on making explosive arrows the basic jist of it is you fill a aluminium shaft with an explosive and put a impact sensitive device in the arrow head. Is this feasible ?

or another bit of good old disinformation out there on the net?

Another Idea is filling the arrow with a nerve gas but it would require pressurerisation and I think would be highly dangerous to posses/use lol not to mention highly illegal
:D

xyz
April 29th, 2003, 04:05 AM
The amount of LBs pull that your crossbow should have really depends on how strong you are. Anything over 150-180 LBs (combined with broadhead arrow tips) should be fine for taking down a human sized target. Basically, go with the most powerful bow that you are still able to pull back comfortably.

Anthony
April 29th, 2003, 03:40 PM
"Another Idea is filling the arrow with a nerve gas" What a billiant idea!:rolleyes:

Remember that unless you hit the brain/spinal column or the heart, a bowshot target will take a little while to die. There's no shock effect like you get with a gunshot.

xyz
April 29th, 2003, 09:10 PM
A small AP warhead should fix the shock effect.

P.S. That's a wicked sig Anthony:D

Magas
April 30th, 2003, 07:59 AM
Remember Stalone in the Rambo 2/3 movies The head design for the arrows is on the net think it in archives will post a link when i find it. They are simply machined containers that screww on a shaft Arrow or bolt and are detonated with a simple lge rifle primer nder the nose cap:cool:

xyz
April 30th, 2003, 10:08 PM
You wouldn't want the warhead on the tip of the arrow, you would have a broadhead arrow tip and have the warhead inside a hollowed out section of the shaft just behind it. This makes sure that the warhead goes off inside the target instead of on the surface of it. The warhead could be triggered by an electic ignitor and contacts on the arrow head that closed when it hit something, you would use an ignitor that took a fraction of a second to heat up, giving the arrow time to penetrate.

Ropik
May 28th, 2004, 05:52 PM
One idea jumps to my mind: use electric contacts like xyz mentioned, but make it in such fashion that if you hit something (I'm assuming that you want to use this on living targets, like... squirrels), liquid(body fluid, for example) close the circuit. I wonder about something like contacts glued on or melted to the bolt shaft.
This can work only if you can fit the warhead to relatively normal-sized bolt, apparently. But OSS had one special arrow (for crossbow Big Joe 5) with flare, designed to bring an enlightement to the target;). In front of the flare was sharp steel spike which stick to the target and hold the flare on it.
If you use some explosive insensitive enough, you can even recollect bolts stucked to trees during the "Bad to be a squirrel" day, because trees aren't moist enough to set this off.
Final thought: do not use these arrows in a rain. This can make nasty, unwanted surprise for you...

Maybe silly idea. But IMO worth considering.

MMIV
September 17th, 2004, 04:25 AM
[QUOTE=I_am_the_Black_one]Does any one know how many LB's pull weight would be suitable for combat and what tips I have a document on making explosive arrows the basic jist of it is you fill a aluminium shaft with an explosive and put a impact sensitive device in the arrow head.......................

you could check the IRA explosive handbook with has a section exp. tip arrows. The minimum pull weight should be no less than 150LB's pull weight. :)

neo-crossbow
May 27th, 2005, 12:24 AM

Buy yourself a box of 25 12 guage rounds, take the primer and collar from the rounds and get some copper tubing from Mr.Toys Model department (in 3/8th of an inch) glue your fletchings onto your pipe, plug the rear of the bolt with an end cap (or nock for bow) and fill as much powder into the bolt as you can, glue in the primer collar (requires little crimping) then glue on the head of a nail so you have impact ignition heads for a bow / crossbow.. I think its in the explosive part of the anarchists cook book. I've given it a whirl only 3 times and on my first attempt I had no explosive reaction as the primer didn't go off...

neo-crossbow

Buy yourself a box of 25 12 guage rounds, take the primer and collar from the rounds and get some copper tubing from Mr.Toys Model department (in 3/8th of an inch) glue your fletchings onto your pipe, plug the rear of the bolt with an end cap (or nock for bow) and fill as much powder into the bolt as you can, glue in the primer collar (requires little crimping) then glue on the head of a nail so you have impact ignition heads for a bow / crossbow.. I think its in the explosive part of the anarchists cook book. I've given it a whirl only 3 times and on my first attempt I had no explosive reaction as the primer didn't go off...

neo-crossbow