View Full Version : "Anti-Terrorism" laws used to spy on noisy children

Hinckleyforpresident
September 7th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Even the most obedient of sheep must be outraged by this blatant abuse of power. If you have a dog that barks, your emails and phone can be tapped now.

Great to know they're working so hard on catching any actual threats :mad:.

From http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2696031/Anti-terrorism-laws-used-to-spy-on-noisy-children.html

Anti-terrorism laws used to spy on noisy children
Councils are using anti-terrorism laws to spy on residents and tackle barking dogs and noisy children.

By Chris Hastings, Public Affairs Editor
Last Updated: 10:40PM BST 06 Sep 2008

An investigation by The Sunday Telegraph found that three quarters of local authorities have used the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act (RIPA) 2000 over the past year.

The Act gives councils the right to place residents and businesses under surveillance, trace telephone and email accounts and even send staff on undercover missions.

The findings alarmed civil liberties campaigners. Shami Chakrabarti, the director of Liberty, said: "Councils do a grave disservice to professional policing by using serious surveillance against litterbugs instead of terrorists."

The RIPA was introduced to help fight terrorism and crime. But a series of extensions, first authorised by David Blunkett in 2003, mean that Britain's 474 councils can use the law to tackle minor misdemeanours.

Councils are using the Act to tackle dog fouling, the unauthorised sale of pizzas and the abuse of the blue badge scheme for disabled drivers.

Among 115 councils that responded to a Freedom of Information request, 89 admitted that they had instigated investigations under the Act. The 82 councils that provided figures said that they authorised or carried out a total of 867 RIPA investigations during the year to August

Durham county council emerged as the biggest user, with just over 100 surveillance operations launched during the period. Newcastle city council used the powers 82 times, and Middlesbrough council 70 times.

Derby council made sound recordings of a property after a complaint about noisy children.

Surveillance operations aimed at individual homes and businesses can last for months. Calderdale council in West Yorkshire began "direct covert surveillance" targeting one business in May that is still going on.

Local authorities including Bassetlaw, Easington, Bolsover and Darlington have placed houses under video or photographic surveillance to tackle problems such as anti-social behaviour, unauthorised entry into gardens and benefit fraud. Others admitted using council staff to follow residents to determine whether they were working while claiming benefits.

Northampton council, which did not implement the Act during the past 12 months, said that it had used the legislation on five previous occasions to tackle dog fouling. Councils have used the RIPA to recruit children for surveillance operations. Dudley and County Durham exploited the Act to send children into shops with secret video and audio equipment to see whether they could buy cigarettes and alcohol. Officials in Durham have mounted 60 RIPA investigations against these kinds of businesses in the past 12 months.

Sir Jeremy Beecham, the acting chairman of the Local Government Association, which represents councils, said last night: "Councils are tuned into people's fears about the potential overzealous use of these crime- fighting powers. They know that they're only to be used to tackle residents' complaints about serious offences, like when benefit cheats are robbing hard-working taxpayers or fly-by-night traders are ripping off vulnerable pensioners."

He added: "Councils do not use these powers to mount fishing expeditions. First and foremost it is about protecting the public, not intruding on privacy. Crime-busting powers are targeted at suspected criminals and used only when absolutely necessary."
Smokers, drivers and even emails are being monitored

* Newcastle City Council used the Act to monitor noise levels from smoking shelters at two different licensed premises. The council has twice used the legislation to monitor noise from a vet’s practice following a complaint about barking.

* Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council used it to deal with 16 complaints about barking dogs.

* Derby Council made sound recordings at a property following a complaint about noisy children.

* Peterborough Council investigated the operation of the blue badge scheme for disabled drivers.

* Poole Council used it to detect illegal fishing in Poole Harbour.

* Basingstoke Council used photographic surveillance against one of its own refuse collectors after allegations he was charging residents for a service that should be free. The operation was dropped when it was decided the allegation was false.

* Aberdeenshire Council admitted using the Scottish version of the Act to request the name and address of a mobile phone user as part of an investigation into offences under the Weights and Measures Act.

* Easington council put a resident’s garden under camera surveillance after a complaint from neighbours about noise.

* Canterbury City Council used CCTV surveillance and an officer’s observations to monitor illegal street trading.

* Brighton and Hove council launched four operations against graffiti artists

* Torbay Council accessed an employee’s emails after an allegation that suspect material had been sent. A second employee was investigated over the “use of council vehicle for personal gain”.

* Westminster City Council covertly filmed a locksmith following allegations of fraud.

* Durham County Council obtained authorisation to monitor car boot sales during an investigation into the sale of counterfeit goods.

Power in the hands of local authorities

The Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act allows for the interception of communications, acquisition and disclosure of data relating to communications, carrying-out of surveillance, use of covert intelligence sources and access to encrypted or password-protected data.

It can be evoked by public servants on the grounds of national security, and for the purposes of preventing or detecting crime, preventing disorder, public safety, protecting public health, or in the interests of the UK’s economic well-being. Councils were first granted use of the legislation in 2003.

slarter
September 7th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Glad to see that "Barking Dogs" and "Noisy Children" are National Security Issues. :rolleyes:

The Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act allows for the interception of communications, acquisition and disclosure of data relating to communications, carrying-out of surveillance, use of covert intelligence sources and access to encrypted or password-protected data.

So now they can look at my computer files beacuse my dog barks? :eek:

How much time, money and effort is wasted on this BS while real terrorists and criminals are ignored?

Alexires
September 8th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Terrorism:

the unlawful use of -- or threatened use of -- force or violence against individuals or property to coerce or intimidate governments or societies, often to achieve political, religious, or ideological objectives.

A criminal act that is undertaken with the purpose of achieving political gain. It may or may not be directed against a particular government, and it may or may not be state-sponsored.

While they try to befuddle us with all their political double speak, it is obvious by the most basic of definitions that terrorism is any act that inspires fear to achieve a goal.

I ask you, RogueSci, is this not terrorism? Is this oh so "liberal" approach to "National Security" and our privacy not a political crime? Why councils should have the power conduct "terrorism" investigations I have no idea. Where does all this money come from? Honestly, think about the THOUSANDS of man-hours spent putting someone's GARDEN under surveillance because there was a noise complaint?

Sir Beechams "justification" sounds more like a child justifying his incessant need to know everyone else's business.

Councils are tuned into people's fears about the potential overzealous use of these crime- fighting powers. They know that they're only to be used to tackle residents' complaints about serious offences, like when benefit cheats are robbing hard-working taxpayers or fly-by-night traders are ripping off vulnerable pensioners..

Of course you are tuned into the peoples fears. You ARE their fears. Potential my ass, it is a reality.

It is nice to know they are tackling serious offences such as noisy neighbours, barking dogs, illegal street trading and illegal fishing.

Orwell is turning over in his grave. This is astounding that they get away with it, and that they even freely admit doing it under the FOI Act! These government officials see nothing wrong with it at all. Those BILLIONS of pounds couldn't possibly be put to better use, or so they think.

FUTI
September 8th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I live next to kindergarten...so yes put the tap on the kindergarten lines, then the lazy asses that should keep an eye on those children will have to look upon them instead of blurting on the phone or VoIP afraid that country will find out about their cheating on their spouses. Just joke...but it serve the purpose of letting the steam out to rant from time to time.

I'm not in USA, but problem you have is starting to spread around the world. In my country there was an attempt to implement an computer lines tapping on all provider lines...at the expense of provider none the less. No need to tell you that outcry was huge...and it wouldn't pass because no IT firm that hold to itself won't sell those equipment to private firms...only to government.

The way things are developing USA start to look worse then ex-USSR. ex-USSR were doing thing that it does in the name of obscure political philosophy...USA is doing this in the name of DEMOCRACY none the less! That makes them looking worse in my opinion. And it became obvious why they didn't make so much noise when Russia FSB came to their ISP with IT teams of their own and installed little black boxes everywhere. It would be stupid to start yelling because they (insert three-letter-agency of your choice) had same project in the pipeline.

What makes me sick that FSB is having some results from doing that...after 9/11 they presented their info obtained taping the lines of Chechenian terrorists this way to USA...I never again heard something about poor Chechenian's. Also they did tape some talks of that Georgian idiot with some of McCaine election team member about should they take action or not...which is excellent security agency work....no wonder Russians blasted them to hell...troops were ready and waiting for the morons to give them an excuse. I would have some piece of mind if I could see a single info that all that tapping gave some result in USA or in my country.

Rbick
September 8th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Man I feel sorry for you UK fellows, although the laws here in the US are not far behind. This is just an excuse they use so they can do whatever they please. Here comes 1984. When is the populace gonna start doing something? It'll be tough considering so many people have been turned into the sheeple :(

Emil
September 8th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Unfortuanetly Rbick, like you know, the majority of people really aren't even aware what is happening around them. They don't have the time of day to think about, let alone even understand the current problem and what is slowly being taking away from them. They are simply to wrapped up in crumby little lifestyles and unimportant factors that surround us. The problem is most people don't have the ability to really use the full functions of the brain, and simply just breeze through life day by day on automatic mode.

Facts like what the government are really getting up to, will never be seen by the masses. This sort of story wouldn't be shown on the evening news while most people are eating their dinners watching the box. A common response you will get from some average sheep when trying to relay the message of what is really happening and what his/hers thoughts are is "Well it doesn't bother me as it doesn't effect my every day life, I just want to get on with my life."
Fact is these type of people are usually too dumbed down to even understand and start grasping what life is/could be about. This is a bad attitude and just shows the huge level of ignorance circulating the minds out there. They are also the type of people who will cry, kick and scream their arguments when one day they wake up with cctv in their houses and tags around their necks. By then it is "too late".

I would think I'm not the only one who thinks that the UK residents have been way to soft and easy going through out history. I'm to young to of remembered the gun ban in '87, but judging by modern day events, I can imagine that even then, the government were met with minimal opposition.
Maybe we have just gone soft, I think we are in need of a good riot to stir things up a bit if you ask me. All we seem to get these days is dinner ladies is going on strike because they want an extra 15p an hour, and one extra fag break a day.

AUK2k7
September 9th, 2008, 08:59 PM
If you talk to people in the UK, you are constantly faced with the "It won't happen to me" dilemma, as most of the population is under the belief that we could never turn into big brother. Their niavety will be our downfall.
As much as I agree that we should get rid of much of the surveillance in our society, I do understand that it can also be useful to stop Jihadi fucktards every so often when the laws are used properly and not as an excuse to monitor the general population. For example, today we caught yet another piece of scum planning to kill innocent people (Link to see article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7606384.stm)) and its funny how when you monitor the right people and not normal citizens, you are actually able to find terrorists. So why does our government monitor dog owners then???:confused::confused: I like the way they say he had 4kg of potassium nitrate on him to. Whats the worst he is gonna make with that, a smoke grenade, or if he can get some sulphur and charcoal maybe he could make some black powder. OH NO:eek:

James
September 13th, 2008, 02:13 PM
It's an excuse. Envision the following and shudder.
Around 3am some morning a kite with a dog shows up in front of your place and compels the mutt to do his business. Then 15 minutes later another kite calls in that there's dog crap on your lawn. Later that morning while you're out the LEOs go into your place and plant surveillance devices and copy (or seize) everything they think they might be able to use against you.
Is that just the paranoia talking? Definately. No one listened to Forestall either (note the last sentence was derived from the sidebar 'Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you' from GURPS Illuminati).

pangos_59
September 17th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Know your rights!!! (all three of them!)

P.S. I'm betting that they come and get me as I am double jointed. p.p.s. I also know that pig skin makes great practice for human targets I.E. well it won't take a genius mind to figure that one out.