View Full Version : Hosting

JamieBond
September 16th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I have a domain and webspace that I've taken out of use and seeing as though I've still paid for a years hosting, it seems silly not to use it. As it's a proper domain files can be uploaded via FTP, but downloaded via HTTP.

There is no speed limits, so you upload and download as fast as your connection allows. There are a few drawbacks though. 3 in all.

1] As it's a shared server, I don't have control over every aspect of it, and as such I can't change FTP account permissions, thus, anyone I give an account to has the power to delete everything that has been uploaded.

Which is why I don't think it wise to be give an account to anyone the forum as a collective, deem "untrustworthy".

2] It's (currently) limited to 300mb of uploaded material. I can pay to have this extended if needed. Bandwidth limit is currently set at 75,000mb per month, I don't think that'll get maxed out, but if it does, again it's not an issue to have it upgraded.

3] FTP accounts, I'm limited as to the amount I can issue ~ 40.

That about covers it, I'll leave it up to everyone else to decide if it's wanted/needed or not. Obviously it's not going to be much use for the larger files, but for the smaller files ~ 5/20mb. It could be easier than waiting on RapidShare.

I can issue a subdomain to it also, if that's wanted/needed. you.domain.org

Let me know. :)

FUTI
September 17th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Mine oppinion is that you should give FTP account to Mega, moderators, tmp and to the members that contributed most to the forum in the amount of data collected and shared on tmp's ftp. I'm sure that I'm not even near to fall into that rank, but this only seems fair to me with those restrictions imposed. 300MB only? Overall or per member/subdomain whatever?

tmp
September 17th, 2008, 07:44 PM
JamieBond, I have a similar issue with the website I'm trying to build. It
pisses me that I can't find a way to protect the files. That's the reason it's
not up and running. They CLAIM that I can set protection codes but every
time I try and login under another userid I can destroy anything there.

JamieBond
September 18th, 2008, 12:49 PM
FUTI, 300mb total space. It's not huge, but if it's only hosting small(er) files, then I don't see it as being a problem just yet. But as I said, I can get more space if needed.

tmp, it would be easy as pie if you (or I for that matter) had control over the server, or access to the virtual machine the server is running. Then setting FTP user permissions would be a doddle.

Only way around my situation would be to create a folder for each user, and just give them control of said folder. Then if someone wants to go on a deleting spree, the only items the user could delete would be information they have uploaded.

James
September 18th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I would try the chmod and/or chacl(?) commands, which probably get about 3 sentences total in the download-able manual referred to in the email they forgot to send. I could offer roughly similar host on a slow connection probably limited to ~100GB of data stored and 128k bi-directional throughput. It doesn't have Access Control lists atm but basic user/group permissions should work and I was working (a little) on adding quotas.

---------------------------------------------------------

I have a ssh, ftp, wiki, samba etc. server up at nightcity.servebbs.net (64.126.147.30) . I haven't set up accounts for anyone else yet. So I suppose you could PM or email me @ countkase@yahoo.com with If you want an account. The wiki is globally editable, blank and non-indexed. Samba is only available locally. ACLs, quotas etc. should all work correctly. Initial quota will be ~102MB/user and ~50GB for the forum total. Oops, in my previous comment it should've been chmod/chgrp/chown/getfacl/setfacl for Posix and cacls for Windows systems that you are sitting at (daemons may invoke their own funkiness.)

+++++++++++++
No double posting, there is an edit function for that. :mad: