View Full Version : Refillible flamethrower

PYRO500
December 30th, 2001, 11:25 PM
Recently I have been wondering if it was possible to convert a paint sprayer into a hand held flame thrower the idea I have is on a picture in the page below :

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/pyro2000us/flame.html" target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/pyro2000us/flame.html</a>

anyone have any ideas on if this might actually work?

RTC
December 31st, 2001, 01:10 AM
Why not just build a Fire Dragon?

However on your design, the pump/air bottal is a good idea in general, it's prone to leaks and seal ruptures, with the air hose that problem is resolved.

However it means you have to proide a constant supply of air, not good, unless you can carry a battery pack/generator on your back.

So in realism and just general quickness I would favor the pump over the air hose.

You may have to think of another means of ignition also. From my own experiments/tests a spark from those piezo[sp?] things havent ignited my flammable liquid tests.

Although the gas tests worked, so if your using liquid, a pencil torch may be required, unless you can spray the liquid into an EXTREAMLY fine mist, even then I have doubts.

But over all a good idea.

PYRO500
December 31st, 2001, 01:43 AM
I was considering using a flammable gas (possibly propane) as a propellant, the idea of a liquid flame thrower is that the vapors not the liquid itself burns, when it is misted the liquid will form more vapors, a pocket dragon is fun but kind of expensive for fuel, a piezo ignitor may work if made right but needs to be adjused to work adequitely. I have wondered about the ability of a blow gun valve to hold back propane, I think the liquification point of propane at 100 F is 172 psi and I think there are blow guns that can run 200 psi so maybee a blowgun with a special nozzle and a flashback arrester to make a fairly low flow flame thrower that would be compact enough for easy storage and would burn inexpensive propane from those disposable tanks and could have a poilit light.

RTC
December 31st, 2001, 01:51 AM
I just thought of this while reading your post so bare with me. It's not related to your post exactly but in relation to a refillible flamethrower as such.

Take an ordinary bike pump, put a small hole in it, fill with gas then press it forward (pump it) slowly forwards and light the escaping gas then once lit press the rest of the pump (pump it hard) so all the other gas it pushed out fast igniting the rest of the gas in a 12foot flameball.

Considering if it'll work of course.

BoB-
December 31st, 2001, 07:24 PM
hmm, what if the peizoid fails to work? it would suck if you had to click it a million times when you really needed it.

If your willing to spend some money you could use one of these trigger start nozzles as a pilot;

<a href="http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/HDUS/EN_US/asset/images/pii/2/0/0/5/A5002_3.JPG" target="_blank">http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/HDUS/EN_US/asset/images/pii/2/0/0/5/A5002_3.JPG</a>

<a href="http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/HDUS/EN_US/asset/images/pii/5/2/5/6/A136525_3.JPG" target="_blank">http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/HDUS/EN_US/asset/images/pii/5/2/5/6/A136525_3.JPG</a>

Both of them run for about 20 bucks, if your willing to puke up some more money you could create a beautifully destructive unit, you could buy some gas fittings and use the propane tank as a pressurant, and to power the torch head, it would suck down the propane pretty fast though.

It would also end up looking more like a rifle than your pistol like design.

I hope this post doesnt fuck up the new forum....

CyclonitePyro
December 31st, 2001, 08:26 PM
A friend of mine built a simple device like a pocket dragon but refillable. He took an empty starting fluid spray can and cut a round hole in it and put a short section of threaded copper pipe in it and glued it in, he can now pour whatever flammable fuel in it he wants and screw on a threaded cap. He cut another hole in the can and put the fill valve of bike inner tube and glued that on. He just pumps it up with a normal bike pump and puts the can on a spray gun handle, with clothes hanger wire extending out holding a wick wihich burns constantly.

PYRO500
December 31st, 2001, 09:18 PM
how did he make the holes in it? and what glue did he use, I have tried several times to do this only to fail. it would be cool to get a refillable arisol container to hook to a pocket dragon. you could then add a custom nozle, such as the nozzles on spray shaving gel it lets the liquids come out in a thick stream. If I had a constant source of fuel I could experiment with ignition sources for a pocket dragon besides the matchbook ignitor, I have been thinking piezo electric or the guts of a stun gun in the hollow handle to arc across the stream.

bangandow
January 1st, 2002, 01:16 AM
Would a simple Zippo attached to the front be efficient?

PYRO500
January 1st, 2002, 04:04 AM
nah, I can do beter than that, a zipp is light fire close, I want triggerpull fire, triggerpull fire, it seems like more fun that way, plys adds one hand operation eliminating the need for a second hand and lets you have infinite time between shots such as, toast mofo's ass, 10 min later, toast mofo's cat.

Agent Blak
January 1st, 2002, 05:31 AM
I prefer NBK2000's design and other similiar to it. I prefer them for the reason they are cheap and you can toss them away after. If the "pO pO" search my house and find a packet of matches, tape, pistol grip(for paint can) and a can of spray paint(all stored in closew proximity) they can't do or say much. If they find a reusable/fill flame thrower they will be like a pig in shit.
also I would empoly a 12g CO2 Powerlet for a preasure source instead of compressed air. The reason for this is; CO2 displaces O2 and will not allow the Preasurized container of Napalm to ignite in side.

atropine
January 1st, 2002, 04:42 PM
you need a wide nozle. :0) other wise youl get a spray. I had an idea using co2 cart's and filling a tube about the same width up with napalm and with the cart behind this all, somehow you could puncture the lead cap at the top and you'd get a nice jet of flames as well as a co2 cart flying in the same general direction. Oh forgot bout the pen blow torch too ignite the napalm as i exits.

blacktalon
January 7th, 2002, 08:52 PM
All you need is an old garden sprayer with a brass wand. They generally have an adjustable nozzle. Adjust it to a solid stream and wire a small piece of wood to the end of the wand. Fill the sprayer with White gas (Coleman lantern fuel). Don't use regular gas unless you want to cook yourself, and k1 doesn't burn.

Purple Fire
January 16th, 2002, 12:04 AM
Just a thought, but if you took some wide (2" or bigger) copper pipe from a plumbing shop, screw end cap it, drill a hole in the end cap and braze on an attatchment for a BB gun CO2 cannister. Then chuck a reducer on the other end followed by an elbow and a valve. Then get a nozzle of some sort that you could screw on, just match the thread size on your pipe to your nozzle. You just screw the end cap off, fill it with stuff, screw back on and slam on your CO2 cannister.

Depending on the density of your fuel it might need to have the fuel tank at the top and the nozzle at the bottom, so the CO2 can float above your fuel.

Wearing insulated gloves might come in handy if its copper :)

RTC
March 13th, 2002, 01:01 AM
Sorry for bringing up an old topic but I've just had an idea, I've made the paintballgun on Anthony's web site, and thought that if I fill the air tank half with petrol, then pump it up, attach some kind of ignition device at the end of the "barrel" and fire it, would it work as a short range "flamethrower" ?

A-BOMB
March 13th, 2002, 02:56 AM
Na, but a potato slug in the barrel then pour the gas down ontop of it and tir burning rag to barrel now shoot, now you got a flame thrower.

Anthony
March 13th, 2002, 06:32 AM
It should work because you'll get a mixture of air and petrol spray being ejected which should burn more fiercly than petrol alone. Might be some safety problems with storing the petrol mixedwith air though.

EP
March 14th, 2002, 09:29 PM
A bit basic, but this may be useful:

<a href="http://www.howstuffworks.com/flamethrower.htm" target="_blank">http://www.howstuffworks.com/flamethrower.htm</a>