View Full Version : REACH, new chemical directive of EU and the security

Setharier
September 20th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Since I have been eagerly researching the current state and the future of my homeland and European Chemicals and amateur chemistry, I apparently faced this future problem. The EU's new law on chemicals, REACH, stands for Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and restriction on CHemical substances. The law is as old as June 2007, but it has mostly come in force at this year and the following years.

In short, the REACH aims in registering and tracking of every single chemical element, substance and product that has substantial amounts of chemicals, and even, as crazy it do sounds, even ballpoint pen salesman will need to register the ink. In principle this does not make individual chemical purchases any harder but practically most of suppliers will stop individual sales due to their intraceability and probable other issues(later spoken). REACH anyway involves a list currently unknown and being prepared of about license-requiring and fully denied substances. From the worst nightmare, one can see they mostly debate on Carcinogenic, Mutagenic and Reprotoxic substances and the REACH is involving over commercial goods market controlling the chemicals used in making slippers and chipboards, not the chemicals in the lab&chem industry itself.

Whereas REACH does not make direct hit on the amateur chemistry, The European Security Directive and commission to Parliament for enhancing the safety of the explosives (http://eur-lex.europa.eu/Notice.do?mode=dbl&lng1=en,de&lang=&lng2=bg,cs,da,de,el,en,es,et,fi,fr,hu,it,lt,lv,mt, nl,pl,pt,ro,sk,sl,sv,&val=459137:cs&page=&hwords=null) mention something that will, in it's full, materialization state somewhat make The End for home chemistry and chemicals. Simply, it mentions(terrorist) that the security(terrorist) could be achieved by making completely unavailable(terrorists) from commercial market(terrorism) such substances as acetone | citric acid | hydrogen peroxide | potassium chlorate & perchlorate | ammonium nitrate (fertiliser) | hexamine | nitric acid | potassium nitrate | ammonium nitrate (technical) | hydrochloric acid | nitromethane | sodium chlorate | sulphuric acid |. Obviously I saw there reference of denying bomb-making equipment(terrorists) (laboratory equipment) as well.

iHME
September 21st, 2008, 08:37 AM
This is seriously fuck'd up. And that REACH is true, not some hype or proposal.
Apparently people will have to resort to those OTC sources still available and stock up NOW.
I can see a shitty backslash from that legislation. But I understood that it was originally for keeping contaminated Chinese shit off EU, they also include the testing of every new substance used in products. So the industry will not be pleased about the delays and will cut their own deals.

Alexires
September 21st, 2008, 11:11 PM
So the industry will not be pleased about the delays and will cut their own deals.

Perhaps that might be a good thing. Piss the industries off enough an the law wont get passed.

Still, that is as clusterfuck. Perhaps this is just idealisation. There is NO WAY they will be able to control EVERY SINGLE chemical being moved around the EU. Too much, too rural, and people just can't be fucked with it.

Cobalt.45
September 22nd, 2008, 08:00 AM
While this may seem far fetched to the citizens of the US, we need to understand that there will be some VERY interested parties over here watching the socio-political fallout of such a plan.

We could be next...:eek:

Setharier
September 22nd, 2008, 08:31 AM
It is fact that EU and USA/NORAU are places where we get in trouble first. The US WILL BE next :(. These unions want to push strange strict Routine Culture where in the long run just everything, I mean the whole realm is pushed into one mould. You wake up, go to work, come back, watch boring TV programs, goto sleep, wake up... and for heaven's sake if you even think of doing something that might be capable of causing situation where one might get hurt, you will be in guantanamo. Others may call it The 1984.

Anyway world is full of countries that has 101% their own internal laws, policy and decisions and there's so many other and bigger problems they're not interested chasing little evil terrorist doomsdaybringer crazy mad bomber home chemists. I'm mostly talking of the third world countries.

For EU I see it is gigantic job to get "all" the chemicals listed and watched up. Not to saying it is impossible. In Soviet Union everything watched and there were no crime or black market at all, at least officially. Only that it came so expensive and huge it just simply collapsed. If They really manage to fully deny such substances as sulfuric acid, acetone and these, how do they think cars will move and anything can be repaired or repainted where the old paint cannot be removed without solvent..? Did you know unlimited amounts of H2O2 is used every single year in making of paper? Nor worser than that, now they're already speaking of famine and starvation but where will we end up if all the reliable fertilizers will be unavailable?? Or is this just another plot to limit the population of earth? Terrorists did it!!1112

All hope shall not be vanished. The New World is and especially will not be built on national politics and ideology. It will be built on MONEY and PRODUCTIVITY. As Alexires said, that means the corporations and supercorporations want to loose the laws that limit their productivity as much as possible and therefore cause things to get loosen to get and make cheap products and being even able to sell these nasty formaldehyde-exuding chipboards and DDT-rich sandals all around the world. Even the Nomus Ordo Mundi, capitalistic dream must have materials where to make and who to sell them. :D

fluoroantimonic
September 24th, 2008, 04:14 AM
This is very scary stuff. I really hope the US is not quite so controling to do something similar, but that's probably being over optimistic..

If They really manage to fully deny such substances as sulfuric acid, acetone and these, how do they think cars will move and anything can be repaired or repainted where the old paint cannot be removed without solvent..? Did you know unlimited amounts of H2O2 is used every single year in making of paper?

Things like battery acid won't be completely denied, just heavily restricted and licensed, very hard for someone to get unless they work at the auto repair shop. Maybe if you need some, apply to all the local shops and slip some out covertly, it shouldn't be that hard. As far as H2O2 goes, do you think the pulp mills go down and buy it at the store? No, they buy truckloads of it directly, which is not the sort of thing that would be limited as far as I can see.