View Full Version : I'm pissed off with most of the people here.

slarter
September 27th, 2008, 12:04 AM
This is my first thread and it irks me that it has to be about me being pissed off at the people here.

I just received a letter from NBK and so far only FOUR people, yes that's right, only four people from here have written him. :mad: WTF people? Our brother is incarcerated in a foreign jail and asks only for us to write him.

Mega posted his address on the 20th of February and only FOUR people have taken the time to write him. :mad: I know many here are paranoid (God knows I am) but shit people, put a bogus return address on it and tell him not to write back. I can tell you that when you are away from home for an indefinite amount of time a single letter means the entire world to you. I spent five years deployed overseas and looked forward to mail call more than payday. Well, guess what folks, NBK right now has neither to look forward to.

As of right now I will write him at least twice a month and plan to send him enough money each month to cover his commissary expenses and then some, so don't worry about sending money. Just write him a short letter. Don't worry about what to write as he just wants conversation and he is smart enough to talk about anything. Art will take the time to write you back and his letters are well written, articulate and humorous. :cool:

For those that have written, please continue to do so. :) For those that haven't, please do.

[\Rant Off]

hickey
September 27th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I think writing to a former notorious moderator is a personal preference and not mandatory for every roguesci forum member.
:p

slarter
September 27th, 2008, 06:09 PM
I think writing to a former notorious moderator is a personal preference and not mandatory for every roguesci forum member.
:p

NBK did say "Maybe I'd be more popular if I hadn't been so efficient at my job, eh?" :p

Still, with 33,000 plus members, I'd expect more to write.

totenkov
September 27th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Those who are available, and see a need on some moral level may do so whenever they wish.

It is not mandatory, nor is it our job to send letters to a man 100% of us will never meet.

Making a separate thread to express your emotions was rather childish, there is an entire forum dedicated to NBK. I am currently in the process of writing a letter as a matter of fact. Understand that not all of us are dedicated to the happenings of NBK's life, as unfortunate as they are. If specific members have thoroughly enjoyed and learned from NBK's posts here, and want to thank him, that is excellent, but once again, by no means is it our duty.

Alexires
September 27th, 2008, 10:18 PM
If you have words of support for NBK, post them here for the moment until we work out a more permanent solution.

Obviously, don't say anything that you don't want others to read.

rangegal
September 28th, 2008, 11:48 PM
I've been searching lately for the NBK thread, it seams to have come and gone in the past with the forum updates and such. But I just can't seem to find it. I would write him if I still had the copy of his address. If someone who does contact him would be kind enough to post his prison address or point me in the right direction and correct my mistake of not being able to find it it would be much appreciated. I think I'll send him a STAPLES bound printout of the book on that www.books-of-gabriel.net website.

Mr Science
September 28th, 2008, 11:55 PM
I just can't seem to find it.

http://roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?t=5792

Page 1, first post.

rangegal
September 29th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Thank you very much. I don't really understand why I didn't find it when I searched. I searched the forum and Google first with "Terrible News"- what I remember the title of the thread to be. Then I related terms, like nbk, prison, murder, and some other stuff. I'll look through that thread and find his adress. I remember something about NBK's prison address changing. Did that ever happen?

Vitalis
October 1st, 2008, 11:13 PM
Of course you have a right to be pissed off at anyone for any reason, but this topic is stupid. NBK was obviously one of if not the most important contributer to these forums, but you have no right to insist that we send him anything.

Some of us have our own problems right now and we never really met the guy. Also if we want a reply to make sure he received our letter, wouldn't we have a letter from a Canadian Prison coming to us? A lot of us don't like to attract that type of attention.

If you're NBK's new guardian angel, go ahead and tell him I hope he is freed and in the mean time doing well, but I'm not sending mail to prison.

This is my first thread and it irks me that it has to be about me being pissed off at the people here.

I just received a letter from NBK and so far only FOUR people, yes that's right, only four people from here have written him. :mad: WTF people? Our brother is incarcerated in a foreign jail and asks only for us to write him.

For those that have written, please continue to do so. :) For those that haven't, please do.

Vitalis
October 8th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Think about that number though, out of those 33,000 plus members, how many even post once? Hell, most of them probably don't even come here anymore.

Still, with 33,000 plus members, I'd expect more to write.

iHME
October 8th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I have always wondered about the amount of ACTIVE forum members, those who have logged in in the last month or so.
How many are there? If you know at all.

Cobalt.45
October 8th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I'd bet that not 1% of the current membership actually post. Surely less than 5%, but that's just a guess.

If you look at the number of "views" an active topic receives to the actual number of replies, you will see an even larger discrepancy between the two (guests).

October 8th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Truthfully, I have not written - even though I've considered it - for two reasons.

One, I'm new and never really interacted with him.

Two, as much as he did contribute - and that's a ton, I can't slight him for that one bit - I don't really agree with a lot of the views he holds. They bother me. While I'll happily fight to protect his right to believe and say anything he wants, I don't think I'd have an easy time corresponding with him.

Maybe I'm wrong. What do the senior members think?

Cobalt.45
October 8th, 2008, 10:14 PM
You need to separate the man from his politics, IMO.

Whenever there's opinions rather than black and white truths like with (for the most part) mathematics or chemistry, there's always room for (mis)interpretation.

But no one doubts his sincerity.

megalomania
October 9th, 2008, 01:59 AM
If you don't post, you don't need to log in, and if you don't log in, your status is not updated. Since you can read almost everything publicly, not everyone logs in. I do not reveal site statistics for security reasons, but I can say it is quite a bit more than 1%. Thread views re not reliable since they feature only started a few years ago, and the counter table has crashed and been reset several times in the last couple of years alone. I have also disabled "last active" calculations to discourage something security related.

The site certainly gets hammered enough, but there is more to Rogue Science than The Forum. The gist is, the volume of traffic to the site is not commensurate with the number of letters nbk has received. This is not anything against nbk, but I would not expect thousands of people to write to a guy they never met, in prison, if they never read the threads he was most active in.

Besides, this is EXACTLY when he predicted would happen. Actually, he spoke with certainty because he has seen it happen before.

Wallybanger
October 29th, 2008, 07:43 AM
HHHmmm, can he take visitors? I don't write my own grandparents but I could probably drop by to pay him a visit next time I'm in Vancouver. He certainly sounds like an interesting person... I don't even know if I was a member at the time he was detained.

slarter
October 30th, 2008, 12:16 AM
I received another letter today from NBK. He is doing okay and is awaiting deportation.